Forums

Help › Forums

maxthon browser

Thu, Jun 21 2018 7:04 AM (38 replies)
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 9:35 PM

Downloaded 4.4.6.1000 after the recent unpleasantness, and it's working fine. Also reports it's "up to date."

I have Maxthon 5 as well, but I just don't like it as well for WGT. It may indeed be a faster browser, but in my experience that translates to "faster meter."

• woogster
    174 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 8:36 AM

How do I set to retro. Where is browser core.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 10:11 AM

ScottHope:

I have Maxthon 3 and prevent it from updating by renaming the update file. Maxthon 4 may also use this file but I'm not sure.

The file is called MxUp.exe and can be found here, (assuming Maxthon is installed on your C drive)...

C ⋙ Program Files ⋙ Maxthon3 [or Maxthon4 if you have that ] ⋙ Bin ⋙ MxUp.exe

You could delete the MxUp.exe file, but I prefer to disable it by renaming the extension. This way you can still find the file because the name is unchanged, and the file won't run because the extension (previously .exe) is now not recognised as an executable (exe) file.

Renaming the extension is simply a case of replacing the .exe with something else, .unused for example.

You may get a warning when you do this, advising you that the file may become unusable if you change the extension name, but as this is what you want, you can ignore the warning.

Previous versions of Maxthon can be found HERE.

If you want a more specific version of the browser, I think PaulTon knows where these can be found.

I do this Scott and sometimes it comes back. This time I gave it the ext of Bak. I used to just delete it, but it kept coming back.

• AlaskanDame
    18,872 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 10:21 AM
    woogster:

How do I set to retro. Where is browser core.

I have the same question . . .
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 10:28 AM

You can see switch Browser Core on this list from the menu. You want Retro

Just click on image to make it bigger

• ScottHope
    10,010 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 12:58 PM

DonCaron:
    I do this Scott and sometimes it comes back. This time I gave it the ext of Bak. I used to just delete it, but it kept coming back.
    Ah.....I didn't realise browsers were that thorough in checking their internal bits.  : )  Hope it'll work for you this time Don.

...and while I'm here, if you're wondering why your imgur image has that white border around it with the Apple and Android icons at the top, it's because you've posted it using the imgur image link. I realise it appears to make sense to use the image link, but if you look at the link closely, you'll see it has no picture extension at the end, no .png or .jpg for example. The direct link works better and that way you won't get the white border around your image.

• AlaskanDame
    18,872 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 2:05 PM
    DonCaron:

You can see switch Browser Core on this list from the menu. You want Retro

Just click on image to make it bigger

Thank you.
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 2:12 PM

ScottHope:
    ...and while I'm here, if you're wondering why your imgur image has that white border around it with the Apple and Android icons at the top, it's because you've posted it using the imgur image link. I realise it appears to make sense to use the image link, but if you look at the link closely, you'll see it has no picture extension at the end, no .png or .jpg for example. The direct link works better and that way you won't get the white border around your image.

How do i get to the direct link?

• ScottHope
    10,010 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 3:20 PM

The only difference between the two links is the extension at the end of the direct link. Most common ones are .jpg or .png or .gif if it's animated. Just add it on manually before posting. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Dec 13 2017 4:50 PM

Ok, thanks Scott. I have to do that periodically to make a picture work. I had one yesterday that was a .png and I had to put it in gimp to convert it to .JPG

RSS