Forums

Help › Forums

maxthon browser

Thu, Jun 21 2018 7:04 AM (38 replies)
  • hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Wed, Dec 6 2017 6:13 AM

FYI ALL: using maxthon for 2 years, no problems. they just updated the other day and meter now very jumpy!  i switched to FIREFOX and meter is fine!

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Wed, Dec 6 2017 9:06 AM

I`m using maxthon cloud 4.9 and have very few problems if any . Meter is fine adngame plays fine for the most part .

• AlaskanDame
    18,873 Posts
    Wed, Dec 6 2017 10:00 AM
    My "don't update me" old version of Maxthon suddenly changed today. I could tell by the dimensions in the initial lay-out when I opened it up. Tried wgt anyway. The 1/4 to 1/2 inch jump at the ding was back! It took me awhile to find it, but I have now re-loaded the version that works well for me. 4.4.8.1000, which can be downloaded for free. Back to normal now - hooray!
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Dec 6 2017 10:14 AM

Mine did the same thing, late last night. Fun awaits tonight when I get home.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Wed, Dec 6 2017 10:40 AM

K7JBQ:

Mine did the same thing, late last night. Fun awaits tonight when I get home.

That is one reason to have at least 2 or 3 Browsers as a backup to your normal browser. It is also why you set your browser of choice not to update. And even though I update flash you could set flash not to update as well

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Dec 6 2017 1:23 PM

I had it set up for no automatic updates. For the last several days, I've been getting pop-up reminders that an update was available. I guess Maxthon got tired of waiting for me so they went ahead and updated it anyway.

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Wed, Dec 6 2017 1:34 PM

I have Maxthon 3 and prevent it from updating by disabling the update file. Maxthon 4 may also use this file but I'm not sure.

The file is called MxUp.exe and can be found here, (assuming Maxthon is installed on your C drive)...

C ⋙ Program Files ⋙ Maxthon3 [or Maxthon4 if you have that ] ⋙ Bin ⋙ MxUp.exe

The file can be disabled by renaming the extension. This way you can prevent it from running and also still find it should you ever need to re-enable it.

Renaming the extension is simply a case of replacing the .exe with something else, .unused for example.

You may get a warning when you do this, advising you that the file may become unusable if you change the extension name, but as this is what you want, you can ignore the warning.

IMPORTANT : If you do not see the filename extensions when viewing your files in Windows explorer, you will have to change the folder options.

Open your Control Panel and click on Appearance and Personalization, then click on Folder Options. In the Folder Options dialogue box click on the View tab. In the window, Uncheck the Hide Extensions For Known File Types option, then click OK.

Previous versions of Maxthon can be found HERE.

If you want a more specific version of the browser, I think PaulTon knows where these can be found.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, Dec 7 2017 11:48 PM

K7JBQ:
    For the last several days, I've been getting pop-up reminders that an update was available. I guess Maxthon got tired of waiting for me so they went ahead and updated it anyway.

Same here ;(  set for no auto too, it's never done it b4 in 4 yrs?

I restored comp to an earlier time  ( 2 days )...and it went back to the old version,

As a bonus the 'update pending' has gone too, :)

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 2:23 PM

Many of us had our Maxthon cloud browser update on its own and had the meter go from good to bad. I don\t use it much except as a back up to Comodo Dragon. I used it a week ago and the meter was very good. I used it today and the meter was bad. I checked and it had updated to 5.1.3.2000 which actually might be Maxthon 5. I also checked my browser core and it indeed had switched from Retro to Ultra. I switched it back to Retro and tried it out. The meter was flawless again. So for those of you who had your meter go to pot after Maxthon updated check your browser core it might have switched from Retro to ultra as well.

• 100plus
    801 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 4:12 PM
    I have been using Maxthon 4.4.8.1000 for about 2 yrs now,very few issues and when itgets a little jump I just clear browser,cache etc and all is good again Trev
    AlaskanDame:
    My "don't update me" old version of Maxthon suddenly changed today. I could tell by the dimensions in the initial lay-out when I opened it up. Tried wgt anyway. The 1/4 to 1/2 inch jump at the ding was back! It took me awhile to find it, but I have now re-loaded the version that works well for me. 4.4.8.1000, which can be downloaded for free. Back to normal now - hooray!
RSS