Help › Forums

Tiger's out... Jack's record is safe

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 20 2011 7:22 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 11:18 AM

Old news, I know... but it seems that our friend Eldrick won't be playing Congressional this year...  (pga.com) .

But then again, did anyone really expect him to play after his withdrawal at the Players'?

It seems that his boyhood dream of surpassing The Golden Bear is getting a little bit more beyond his grasp.

I don't see him coming back (Eldrick) to his winning ways.  Too many issues emotionally, physically, professionally...  etc. ... coupled with the fact that he once said that he will never play the Champions Tour, means this could be the end.  Because, to quote Tiger directly:

E.Tont Woods:
    ``When my best isn't good enough, I'm walking,  ... You'll know when you're not able to produce any more. I don't lie. When I play well, I tell you guys. And I tell you when I haven't played well. I've won tournaments out there when I wasn't playing my best. But if I play my best and don't win, there's no reason to be out here.''

I think it's time, Eldrick...  Remember, as you said..

``I'll definitely quit the game earlier than people think,'' Woods said in a recent interview. ``The only reason I would play is the occasional tournament if my son is good enough to be out there, and he chooses to play. That would be cool. But my foundation means much more than what I do out here.''

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:03 PM

I stopped believing what Tiger Woods says a while ago.

I'm not counting Jack's record as safe from Tiger yet.   Its the ONE thing he wants to accomplish regardless of what he says about his foundation.  He's got time to win more majors.  Hogan won 8 after age 35, Snead won 5 and Jack won 6.  Skipping the US Open to let his knee and Achilles heal is smart. (And likely necessary w/o using steroids to help the healing.)

Yes I know there are great golfers like Jones, Nelson, Sarazen, Palmer, Watson, Ballesteros who never won a major again after 35.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 1:18 PM

Something else to consider...  When Tiger came up the other golfers were intimidated and, to put it bluntly, downright afraid of him.  Afraid of the pressure to play with, and the ultimate pressure, to be paired with him on a Sunday.  This was due to his mystique and his aura... he could, basically, bully his way to the trophies.

Those days are gone.  Today's "young guns" are not only not afraid of Tiger, they welcome the chance to go head-to-head with him and try to beat him.  Sure, he can still beat them (when everything is right emotionally, physically etc) but the 'sure thing' is now a 50-50 proposition or worse.

This is why I'm not afraid for golf when he (Tiger) hangs them up.  The people that he inspired to pick up clubs are going to be able to carry this torch far into the future.

And that's a beautiful thing.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:14 PM

He,Tiger, seems to have lost the "killer instinct" that drove him in the 90's. I just not sure he "wants" it bad enough. Yeah he's had lot of health issues the last 3 or 4 years and the "divorce thing", but Jack doesn't seem to think he's done and I would agree.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 6:42 PM

Regardless of what Tiger said I think he'll hang around past his prime like most jocks do. Hard to believe you can't play anymore.when at one point you where so great and everybody kissed your butt. I think he has lost his mental edge...What is it they say about golf? 75% talent..150% mind.. 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 11:20 PM

Boomerboy44:
    What is it they say about golf? 75% talent..150% mind.. 
    2 quotes come to mind....

Ben Crenshaw said:  "I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the distance my left ear is from my right."

And the most famous, Bobby Jones said:  "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears."

(To the unfamiliar...   google them, they were pretty fair golfers.)

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 9:02 AM

Snaike:

Boomerboy44:

Ben Crenshaw said:  "I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the distance my left ear is from my right."

And the most famous, Bobby Jones said:  "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears."

Or like what Yogi Berra said about baseball, same thing with golf: "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical." -  From what I see with Woods before he went down again with the knee and the achilles is that he was trying way, way too hard, like there is an underlying, seething desperation for him to get back to his winning, intimidating form but he is having a very hard time accepting that it's maybe, just maybe, irretrievably in the past and it scares the hell out of him. It meant SOOO much to him to be number one in the world and it is extreeemely galling to him that he ain't no more. It's his very identity. That's his five inches; the gnawing fear that it's over. The quote about the foundation IS smoke. I don't buy it. But all in all, I would LOVE to see him come back and remount the run at Nicklaus' record. It would be tremendous for golf. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 9:26 AM

It is all about focus...the quality of his focus has been diffused in a way, for the moment, he cannot fix at once...a bit like trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again...which he will.

• robdelahunty
    670 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 11:45 AM

Persona non grata!

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 3:30 PM

Snaike:

Boomerboy44:

I was thinking about Crenshaw's last Master's win this afternoon when I bought a set of Harvey Pennick clubs  at a local thrift store for $10. I can still see him making that last last putt then breaking down and crying. He and Tom loved Pennick like a father figure.

• PAGES
RSS