Forums

Help › Forums

Equipment purchase question

Wed, Nov 29 2017 11:05 AM (9 replies)
  • slimjym
    141 Posts
    Fri, Nov 24 2017 11:22 AM

Can any seasoned veteran who has played WGT for some time ever remember if there has been a day during the year when WGT has offered a discounted sale on ALL equipment? Black Friday, Cyber Mon, Xmas, New Year's e.g. I realize I can rent particular items, then receive a 10% discount if I buy them, but this only benefits WGT, since the rental price CANNOT be applied toward the purchase price & in reality (if the player does the math), he winds up losing 5%, than if he were to just purchase the items outright without trying them. 

Regrettably a few of the items I want to buy were offered as I moved up through the levels, but unfortunately I did not take advantage of this at the time. Now I'm in the position to buy several items, but don't wish to pay the full price. I'm in no hurry, so I thought I might wait to see if there is anytime WGT offers a discounted sale, so I might get the same benefit (10% off) that was offered previously as I moved up through the levels.  

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Nov 24 2017 11:57 AM

There have been "free rental" weekends for all equipment, with the benefit of 10% discount post-rental minus rental costs minus rental limitations (except a player's level). They have become sparse since the level-up rental was introduced, but they still happen.

December ("Advent") might be next.

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Fri, Nov 24 2017 12:34 PM

To clarify that I understand you, are you saying that there are times (although rare) that there are "free rental weekends" in which I can try all equipment at,NO RENTAL FEE, then purchase the items I want at a 10% discount? If so, that's great.

If it were the case however that I had to pay a rental fee 1st, before purchasing the items at a 10% discount, that's not what I'm looking for. Doing the math will shows that,the rental fee is more than the discount you receive, & in reality you lose 5% than if you were to just buy the items outright. Since I know what I want, I have no need to "try out" the equipment unless it was a "free rental". Can you please clarify which of these two cases it is? Thx Slim 

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Nov 24 2017 1:03 PM

slimjym:
    To clarify that I understand you, are you saying that there are times (although rare) that there are "free rental weekends" in which I can try all equipment at,NO RENTAL FEE, then purchase the items I want at a 10% discount? If so, that's great.

This!

All equipment = all items available to rental, i.e. clubs in the Pro Shop's clubs section available to your level & tier.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Nov 27 2017 6:06 AM

"Free" means no cost. But it is only for equipment that you are allowed to buy based on your level.

Another deal that has happened in the past was the lowering of the needed level for purchase.  The level 98 TaylorMade R1 driver has been dropped to level 93 several times. When Nike equipment was being discontinued there was also a level drop.

Generally the only "deals" that have been around on a more regular basis are the "free" balls when credits are purchased. WGT is not known for their generosity in giving away the company store. They don't have excess inventory or "seconds" that so many companies have IRL. Digital is a completely different animal.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Mon, Nov 27 2017 8:01 AM

slimjym:

If it were the case however that I had to pay a rental fee 1st, before purchasing the items at a 10% discount, that's not what I'm looking for. Doing the math will shows that,the rental fee is more than the discount you receive, & in reality you lose 5% than if you were to just buy the items outright. Since I know what I want, I have no need to "try out" the equipment unless it was a "free rental". Can you please clarify which of these two cases it is? Thx Slim 

Are you serious ? You have a 4 year old account L104 and you really want to act like you dont know what`s going on in the game . C`mon man this has got to be a joke . Ask some of your club members in your club about it and to explain how the free rental weekends work . 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, Nov 27 2017 8:17 AM

They just had the L104 Taylormade Driver dropped 1 level to L-103. Which I just bought. 

Usually thats the best we get is a level drop in clubs

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Nov 27 2017 12:19 PM

I can't remember a day that WGT has offered discounted equipment.....of course it has been requested, including bulk discount for purchasing balls. These requests have fallen on deaf ears.

Occasionally we get discounted "levels" so players can buy equipment that was targeted at higher level players......sometimes this is when those items are being discontinued.

WGT is unique in the operating sphere.......you cannot simply go to a local store to buy virtual equipment, you can't buy WGT equipment on EBay.........so market forces do not dictate pricing or sales.WGT have us all by the short and curly's.....and they know it!

But we have choice........to buy or not to buy equipment........

The day WGT discounts all items will probably be the day this game is in grave danger....a fire sale in other words......so do not wish too much!

• Bowl64
    3,085 Posts
    Tue, Nov 28 2017 9:54 AM

As a Master at L104 with your scorehistory maybe the best way of getting a good deal is to buy a full set of clubs, discount on full sets. There are a few to choose between and it`s up to you wich one to buy.

I would suggest the Taylor Made M2 L69, good meterspeed and fair stats, or the PING G25, bit quicker meterspeed but a good set of clubs.

Since you seem to have a ways to go before reaching the big leauge skills, those two sets will carry you a big part of the way. Good playingsets and they will help you "understand" the game :)

Regarding wedges, Cleveland or the MAX`s are fine. Putter, i use the Odyssey Versa L70 and will not change it for anything else in the proshop.

Bjorn

• HalHoff
    817 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2017 11:05 AM

Your average needs to drop to 63 to become TourMaster. Probably won't happen with starter equipment. Can easily happen with equipment upgrade. The level 85 and 97 Callaways are like throwing darts once you have the distances dialed in. They have a nice meter speed to so you don't have to purchase expensive balls to slow the meter. Like said above, the Cleveland or Mack Daddy wedges are excellent choices. I like the spacing of the Clevelands at 60-80-100 yards. Those are your scoring clubs and the 64 degree 60 yard wedge is dead accurate with the punch chart that is posted in the forums. Cost of clubs is not much different than playing a real round or 2, and since you are level 104 with starter clubs, you haven't had to purchase several times like the rest of us!

If you play daily, you are going to wonder why you didn't buy them a lot sooner.  The couple dollars you save waiting for a deal is going to be less time actually using them and learning what they will do for your game! 10 percent off 100 bucks is 10 dollars. Some pay that for a couple sleeves of balls! Buy your clubs!

RSS