Help › Forums

'luck of the day'?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 18 2017 8:08 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • fekyu
    8 Posts
    Thu, Nov 16 2017 4:26 PM

is anyone else finding a great deal of inconsistencies from game to game? not the jumpy slider thing (something to do with android devices apparently), but things like clubs hitting 20% further than they're supposed after allowing for wind and heights (and losing balls etc) or having a tail wind and the ball falls short by a long way, or 10mph winds moving the ball more than 20 mph winds, or hitting the ball straight (ie, 'excellent') with little to no wind and it still goes crooked, etc etc, blah, blah, blah... 

and then other games nothing can go wrong - (to exagerate) you could hit it towards the next hole on the course and it will still go in, but you can see your opponent struggle with easy shots

is there a trick to understanding something that's deliberately put into the game to try to imitate real golf (ie, just simply bad days); maybe a bias given to differently ranked players; is the game sensitive to internet connections in this way. i can't work it out. 

to my advisors below:

please re-read my post - you'll see no evidence of complaints or claims of abilities. if i was 'blaming the game' i wouldn't be playing it. if i was even just a 'good' player i wouldn't be asking advice. 

i've had to read through abuse and name calling to get a clue of what i was looking for: 'See forums on wind, how to map clubs for length, setting aim marker (cam angles now and then should be noted although not essential to get to grips with OK scores)' virtually every term here is new to me and should help, so thank you.

see you all on the course ;-)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Nov 16 2017 6:46 PM

fekyu:
    maybe a bias given to differently ranked players

May I suggest a tin foil hat when you play?

There probably is a reason for players achieving higher ranks, and that is they have actually learned how to play the game, whereas you are totally clueless, of which your stats bear testament to.

Unless you start to learn the game, all the shots, the winds, how to improve the short game etc etc., you will have to replace that tin foil hat on a regular basis.

You may well call me names....like yours, but you really need to take responsibility for your inadequacies at the game.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Thu, Nov 16 2017 7:45 PM

alanti:

fekyu:

Excellent advice Al,

I'm a firm believer in the powers of tin foil.

(shown here wearing my tin foil trilby to limited effect)

I posted somewhere recently though about the dangers of wearing such protection at Cabo Del Sol, where during a midday round I roasted my avatar's head.

The problems caused by a roasted head there far outweigh those of a missed ding or ricochet off a large rectangular cactus.

Cheers!

Rich

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Nov 16 2017 7:51 PM

Load of new full length clubs that require some semblance of skill to use, even if you were still off the kiddies tees. 

Get to the full length tees and you will need to show some skill to use them.

You are now Master and so have progressed to the ladies tees.  EDIT: Having said that it is a jump in the standard.  Embrace the challenge and enjoy it.

See forums on wind, how to map clubs for length, setting aim marker (cam angles now and then should be noted although not essential to get to grips with OK scores)

It's a rant but blaming the game for what is obviously user error (very obviously) is one of many by players who just can't.  It's not an easy game, but will return what you put in or not as the case may be.  I will say don't expect darts (same as IRL), but equally some work is need to get to a reasonable standard.

• TheSpark4
    42 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 2:58 AM

alanti:

fekyu:

There probably is a reason for players achieving higher ranks, and that is they have actually learned how to play the game, whereas you are totally clueless, of which your stats bear testament to.

Unless you start to learn the game, all the shots, the winds, how to improve the short game etc etc., you will have to replace that tin foil hat on a regular basis.

You may well call me names....like yours, but you really need to take responsibility for your inadequacies at the game.

What a nasty, arrogant, patronising post. So someone comes on here looking for advice and/or affirment with difficulties they’re having with a game they enjoy and all you can do is pour scorn on them and belittle as much as possible? So much for ‘community’ eh?

By the way Princess, i’ve been playing this game for under five months, solely on a battered old ipad2. I bought my first ball around lvl 50. Yet my stats are all comparable with yours, some are better. Perhaps you aren’t quite as amazing as you think you are?

Sorry to post like this in a thread where a lad is just looking for some help. Keyboard warriors need bringing down a peg or two now and then.

• 77Rachel
    1,590 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 8:26 AM

whooshdangit:

I'm a firm believer in the powers of tin foil.

(shown here wearing my tin foil trilby to limited effect)

Cheers!

Rich

Hmmm, it would appear I need a tin foil hat also.

I'm not terribly positive, since I am an admittedly horrible player, but it seems to me this putt might have been affected by some unknown otherworldly force. I didnt notice anything crazy in the green's dot flow on this one.

Tin foil, you say?  I'll give it a try next round!

fekyu:

is anyone else finding a great deal of inconsistencies from game to game? 

The return putt (for bogey grrrr) seemed remarkably unaffected by my ineptness. Maybe fekyu is onto something here...

One horrible players opinion.

Hugs,

Rach**

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 2:23 PM

Hi Rachel

77Rachel:

Hmmm, it would appear I need a tin foil hat also.

I'm not terribly positive, since I am an admittedly horrible player, but it seems to me this putt might have been affected by some unknown otherworldly force. I didnt notice anything crazy in the green's dot flow on this one.

Tin foil, you say?  I'll give it a try next round!

Wow! 

Firstly, don't do yourself down, -5 there is not the score of a "horrible player" ! 
    Secondly, the putt in question seems to have been affected by some unknown entity, I have my suspicions but enough of that.

I'm not sure if it's your style, but please accept this exclusive tin foil trilby from the House of WC WD tin foil completely free of charge, with my regards.

Cheers!

Rich

"I don't play golf to feel bad, I play bad golf but feel good"

• fekyu
    8 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 2:59 PM

Jimbog1964:

Load of new full length clubs that require some semblance of skill to use, even if you were still off the kiddies tees. 

You are now Master and so have progressed to the ladies tees.  EDIT: Having said that it is a jump in the standard.  Embrace the challenge and enjoy it.

See forums on wind, how to map clubs for length, setting aim marker (cam angles now and then should be noted although not essential to get to grips with OK scores)

It's a rant but blaming the game for what is obviously user error (very obviously) is one of many by players who just can't.  It's not an easy game, but will return what you put in or not as the case may be.  I will say don't expect darts (same as IRL), but equally some work is need to get to a reasonable standard.

Jimbog1964:

thank you for your clues. i have so far noticed 'mapping clubs' is about averaging the variability than can occur with each hit - that's the question i was actually asking. i appear to have touched on sensitivities about challenging the game and have somehow claimed to be a good player - neither were my intention. i do enjoy the game, otherwise i wouldn't play it, and certainly wouldn't have spent too much money it....

i have to admit though, i don't know what you mean by your first three lines

• fekyu
    8 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 3:15 PM

alanti:

fekyu:

thanks for your reply

are these hats in the pro store?

i don't understand why you've focused on one line of my post that's quite irrelevant to the actual question

if i wasn't 'clueless' why would i be asking advice? but thank you, i didn't know i had stats. they seem pointless though. 

your third paragraph seems to be just echoing my question

is there a lot of name calling on these forums? i am a *** player, but it's irrelevant to my question

• fekyu
    8 Posts
    Fri, Nov 17 2017 3:32 PM

TheSpark4:

alanti:

fekyu:

What a nasty, arrogant, patronising post. So someone comes on here looking for advice and/or affirment with difficulties they’re having with a game they enjoy and all you can do is pour scorn on them and belittle as much as possible? So much for ‘community’ eh?

By the way Princess, i’ve been playing this game for under five months, solely on a battered old ipad2. I bought my first ball around lvl 50. Yet my stats are all comparable with yours, some are better. Perhaps you aren’t quite as amazing as you think you are?

Sorry to post like this in a thread where a lad is just looking for some help. Keyboard warriors need bringing down a peg or two now and then.

thanks for your reply 

'battered old ipad2' - is that a reference to the jumpy slider thing? that's something the wgt people have confirmed is an issue they are working on (i use a 4yo [i think] 10" samsung) it can get alittle annoying, but all good. 

yes - i just found out i have stats. they look pretty pointless though ;-)

i haven't been called a lad in over 40 years! i thought it was cool until i saw your flag. bugger, just your language.... apologies if i'm being a 'keyboard warrior', but this is the only forum post i've ever made (apart from comments on dpreview). seems i got it very wrong

• PAGES
RSS