Forums

Help › Forums

Top Irons : Callaway L97 or L100

Mon, Feb 15 2021 1:46 PM (73 replies)
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2017 4:51 PM

My Nike iron weren't getting the same distances with the same ball.  But I will say that with the new irons, and that ball, gets me lots more yardage.  I'd hate to think that offering better, longer irons, wouldn't be longer .  Wgt wouldn't misrepresent the equipment, would they? If that's the case, why try to work at leveling up? 

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Dec 5 2017 11:50 AM

I have been playing the steelheads for two weeks now with cheap GSI-2 balls.

At first I couldn’t figure out the distances and thought I made the wrong purchase. It took some time to get familiair with the distances of especially the longer irons, but now I start getting closer and closer. Still have not figured out how to stop them.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sun, Dec 31 2017 3:44 AM

After 6 weeks off struggling I have come to the conclusion that these irons don’t work very well with cheap balls (GI2-S) and I now kind of regret buying the L97 Steelheads and selling my L75 Speedblades. There is no stopping power with especially the long irons. WGT has confirmed that playing cheap balls without spin will downsize spinning power of these irons which is somewhat logical. My old L75 irons with 1 dot less spinning power had however more stopping power, so these really perform badly on spin! If anybody intends to play these irons with cheap balls be warned...

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Feb 13 2018 3:10 PM

It may depend on how you play them.  I only use the GI2-S for our easy par 3 courses for XP and I prefer the cheaper balls to higher cost balls.  The longest shot I usually hit is around 180Y and  they have enough stopping power with full BS I can get close on nearly every hole and work fine with full TS when needed.  

I don't play a lot of default tees with them (lower credit ball) because I have always wanted a little more distance and more spin for elevated greens and long irons.  That said, I rarely play a ball better than the L11 or L13 Srixon with these irons when I play on the mobile because of all the sponsor apparel equipment boosts.

I have even used the L11 Srixon during clash rounds on the desktop and shot some reasonably good scores.  Again, it can depend on the course.  Sacrificing stopping power on longer courses can alter the way you play and club selection.

But here is the thing, after watching even top level players shooting into elevated greens with a  3 or 4 iron they don't always get the ball to sit down like a wedge on an elevated green.  The ball nearly always releases forward I believe.    

If you want to test or compare different balls with the same clubs, I am open to doing so with other people.  Just let me know.  I have played on both platforms, mobile and desktop, but play a little better on the desktop.

Just a few thoughts from another member carrying the same clubs...

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sat, Mar 3 2018 1:17 PM

@el3n1. Thanks for your post.

I am now playing some months with these L97 irons and I am getting used to them more and more.

Still playing with the cheapest balls - mostly B-XD - and now trying out some other cheap ones like Tour-S. GI2-S don’t seem to work that well for me and with the B-XD the irons seem to perform better with a little more distance. No 100+ cr balls for me.

If hitting the ding the irons are pretty accurate and If you are used to the roll on the longer irons mostly you can get close within a few yards even with the cheap balls.

Playing cheap balls still means I have to accept that the longer approaches (200+ yrds) frequently end up at the end of the green / rough as I have no way of stopping them without any additional spin.

As said, I am trying out the Tour-S and perhaps later the Tour-SD as these balls I can afford by watching adds. If they dont add much on stopping power I will probably end up with the B-XD which are ok for me (I like them in Orange, lol).

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2018 8:03 AM

JohanTV:

If hitting the ding the irons are pretty accurate and If you are used to the roll on the longer irons mostly you can get close within a few yards even with the cheap balls.

Playing cheap balls still means I have to accept that the longer approaches (200+ yrds) frequently end up at the end of the green / rough as I have no way of stopping them without any additional spin.

I think it will be tough to pull of shots like that especially with a low end ball.  My experience has been a low in ball with more even slightly more spin will have better chance of stopping than the extra distance ball.  

That said, the other thing you can try is to take extra club for example if you have a 205y approach instead of hitting the 210y club, club up to 225y take a little off and max the spin.  The ball should come in higher and land softer but again I am just suggesting how it should play.  

You may also go to the practice tee and do the same with your 3 wd. It is a high flight and if you learn the yardages, you may find you can even take some off of it and get it to land and hold the green.  Again, it depends on the situation and the ball type and the elevation of the target...just a couple more ideas.

If you are playing outside the US, I believe some members in our country club have had some success earning more credits by downloading and using a mobile emulator that can be used on a desktop computer.  On the mobile platform there are usually two credit videos that can be watched to help offset the ongoing expense of ball purchases.  I know members in Canada and Ireland as well as the US have had success with the mobile emulator on a desktop computer.  Just another option if you are not already doing so or have tried it.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sat, Mar 10 2018 5:40 AM

Thanks el3n1,

Your suggestions are appreciated and I am trying them out. 

I am now trying out the Tour SD balls which have a little more spin and distance. The little extra spin on these balls gives a little more stopping. Some nice player gave me a sleeve of Callaways (L33) and that made all the difference. Stopping was less an issue anymore and I immediately made an eagle on Chambers #4 which is one of those holes I normally cant stop the ball.

In Holland not that much surveys are presented which you can finish (disqualified all the time) and indeed the 2 credits 30 seconds videos are basically my only source of income. I try to get some 20 credits every day.

So I have to stick with these low end balls with no meter speed and little distance/spin advantages, which is ok.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2018 11:05 AM

@ Johan TV the best cheap ball in the shop is the Tour SD . Hands down at 65 credits a sleeve they do play great . I used them back when playing up to Legend tier and hated giving them up when I did . For the price cant beat it and they really are a good ball to play with .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2018 11:34 AM

lonniescott711:
    @ Johan TV the best cheap ball in the shop is the Tour SD

100% agree. I used them up to the Legend tier also. Don't worry about the meter speed, they forgive quite nicely. In fact, they play well by smart missing the ding.  :-)

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2018 3:09 PM

JohanTV:

In Holland not that much surveys are presented which you can finish (disqualified all the time) and indeed the 2 credits 30 seconds videos are basically my only source of income. I try to get some 20 credits every day.

So I have to stick with these low end balls with no meter speed and little distance/spin advantages, which is ok.

I can understand the dynamic for international players...another option and Lonnie could also possibly speak to this...active players that attempt to contribute to the WGT community and also play daily have gotten the attention of a "gift of golf" group from the bushwackers CC, they have been known on a monthly basis to gift deserving players clubs or balls to help them out...I believe Lonnie is a current month recipient and last week a member from my CC was helped.  

I don't know you beyond our few posts, but it may be something to think about as a possibility for help with those Cally's that you like but would be too expensive to keep yourself supplied it, but if you got a little help to where you had some for a few sleeves then you would have time to begin building a bankroll and saving credits which you likely were able to do for club upgrades... just another option to think about...

I try to play low credit balls for XP rounds and only use the good balls for rounds I am hoping to score well in.  My timing gets thrown off  a little but it saves me a lot of hits on the better credit balls so I don't have to watch as many videos.  Hope this helps...

RSS