Forums

Help › Forums

Top Irons : Callaway L97 or L100

Mon, Feb 15 2021 1:46 PM (73 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Oct 31 2017 3:38 PM
    Yes there is! The good upper level/tier players are already shooting 52-54 on the best US Open courses there is, with tough conditions, they can't make it any easier and claim it is realistic LOL
  • Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Tue, Oct 31 2017 4:23 PM
    I have them both and the biggest difference for me is that the meter speed is slower on the level 97 making them easier to hit, especially with a cheaper ball.Still I placed I think 3rd in a monthly CTTH with the Apex irons playing a mediocre Srixon ball so if you, can hit them they are slightly better.
  • JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sat, Nov 4 2017 2:59 AM

Lesthanpar:
    I have them both and the biggest difference for me is that the meter speed is slower on the level 97 making them easier to hit, especially with a cheaper ball.Still I placed I think 3rd in a monthly CTTH with the Apex irons playing a mediocre Srixon ball so if you, can hit them they are slightly better.

Thanks, I noticed you have the steelheads equipped now, so I assume there is indeed not that big a difference. Is there also a noticable difference in forgiveness? (specs say .5 difference). I hope a free weekend is coming soon so I can test the L97 irons and check for myself.

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Sun, Nov 5 2017 12:16 AM
    JohanTV:

Lesthanpar:

Thanks, I noticed you have the steelheads equipped now, so I assume there is indeed not that big a difference. Is there also a noticable difference in forgiveness? (specs say .5 difference). I hope a free weekend is coming soon so I can test the L97 irons and check for myself.

They are slightly more forgiving as the stats indicate but not enough to make any real big difference for me except in a CTTH where inches matter. I change between the 2 depending on my mood and what I am playing but if I had to choose just one of them I would go with the Level 97 Steel for the easier to hit meter.
  • JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Mon, Nov 27 2017 2:22 PM

Almost at L99 now but couldnt wait any longer so just bought the L97 steelhead XR.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Nov 27 2017 6:59 PM

I've had my 97s for just under a week, and they are huge.  3 iron hits as far as my Nike 3 wood.  Spin is unbelievable.  Once I get them figured out, I'm sure the best is yet to come.  Hope ur just as happy as I am with them,  good luck

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2017 2:47 PM

Luckystar5:

I've had my 97s for just under a week, and they are huge.  3 iron hits as far as my Nike 3 wood.  Spin is unbelievable.  Once I get them figured out, I'm sure the best is yet to come.  Hope ur just as happy as I am with them,  good luck

Thanks.

I like the slower meter of the Steelhead. My old TM speedblades L75 had meterspeed of 3, so these are much easier and already noticing less big misses. I am playing without spin now so distances are pretty stable. It seems backspin reduces distances a lot. My old irons if using full backspin with tailwind seemed to dimish the windeffect. These are shorter when doing that. Also from the rough they seem to be shorter as my previous irons. Previously in rough 30/40 adding 10% distance seemed accurate. Now they are short.

So pretty much have to get used to them and also indeed the 3 irons goes really farrrrr

Anyone having mapped these irons or having tips how to handle them with tailwind, headwind, top/back spin etc.?

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2017 3:34 PM

This is my findings thus far........ I use half back Spin on all regular shots, that is from fairway, moderate winds.  From the rough at 25 to 30 %  no b/s gets me right distance I plan for.  No b/s with a headwind of say 10 mph or more.  Full b/s with tail winds of 10 or more.  Under reg. Conditions, no b/s it appears that my clubs are miss labeled, they seem to be off one club, to the next higher up number.  My 150yd iron goes 162.  and so on.  The ball plays into this I'm sure, I'm using the 94 Nikes.  Hope this helps a little, also remember that I'm still experimenting.  

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2017 3:56 PM

Luckystar5:
    My 150yd iron goes 162.  and so on.  The ball plays into this I'm sure, I'm using the 94 Nikes.  Hope this helps a little, also remember that I'm still experimenting.  

That sounds right from what I understand.  I have never mapped clubs, but I have read that if you take the "ball distance factor" you can roughly estimate what that club with play with a little math.  I would have guessed 158 -160 using your L94 Nike ball and the 150Y iron.  

It may not be as accurate as mapping your clubs, but it has gotten me close enough to save time effort and energy mapping clubs so far, but I am no where near as experienced as the elite players on here.

I am also looking at these irons which I hope to unlock in about 6 more days.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2017 4:37 PM

Having played those Nikes, I'd say the extra distance is at least 90% ball,

RSS