Forums

Help › Forums

Next new course due????

Sat, Oct 28 2017 7:41 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 1:37 AM

anyone got any rough idea? when? which one? all these prime membership they sold must of raked in a few quid to fund a new course.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 10:21 AM
    Williams01210021:
    anyone got any rough idea? when? which one? all these prime membership they sold must of raked in a few quid to fund a new course.
    I just sent a few messages to the mods and MisterWGT asking about Shinnecock Hills,the 2018 U.S. Open course. Normally we get the front 9 CTTH portion of the U.S. open course in March which is about 5 months away.

Hopefully one of them will answer soon with good news.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 1:40 PM
    We dont need 1 new course we need 100's and then some.Wgt shoot some unknown public courses which there must be 1000's upon 1000's which can be done at a fraction of the cost.
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 11:53 PM
    Tigerpaw509:
    We dont need 1 new course we need 100's and then some.Wgt shoot some unknown public courses which there must be 1000's upon 1000's which can be done at a fraction of the cost.
    Thing is, even if the public courses don't want much, or any, money to allow WGT to use them, the work involved in making them available to us here remains the same.
  • Lesthanpar
    1,448 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 12:54 AM
    MainzMan:
    Tigerpaw509:
    Thing is, even if the public courses don't want much, or any, money to allow WGT to use them, the work involved in making them available to us here remains the same.
    How much work compared to this would it be to just have different pins on existing courses?
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 6:15 AM
    Lesthanpar:
    How much work compared to this would it be to just have different pins on existing courses?
    Well, as long as they took photos for more than 1 pin position then it should be no bother. They've gone back to courses to shoot more photos for a second set of pins before and we all hoped that the newer courses would have had 2 or 3 pin positions done when they were taking the photos in the first place.

The lack of different pin positions ever coming up at RSG, Pinehurst, Merion to name but a few suggests maybe they didn't do this which would be very strange. Not to mention silly.

I have seen different pins for these courses when playing CTTH though so perhaps they do exist, just for some reason they've never been rolled out.
  • mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 8:35 AM
    Williams01210021:

Look for the new courses about the 12th of never.
  • alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 2:44 PM
    borntobesting:
    I just sent a few messages to the mods and MisterWGT asking about Shinnecock Hills,the 2018 U.S. Open course.
    Good luck with an answer....maybe the Mods may confirm, but they hardly have a track record of being open.....as for Chad, good luck with that one - if he is still involved,I think I could get more information from a kangaroo on heat

@Tiger - and who is going to fund these courses, and how do you plan for that to be economically viable? I know what you are saying, but it is just not feasible. Add to that, most public courses are way to short for this game. I do agree however, there would be some courses worldwide that would like to be considered and there would be synergies for both the club and WGT.

Perhaps deals can be done - the club pays for the photography, WGT the development (and with drone technology, this should be cheaper than in the past).

Asfor new pins, I was under the impression these were photographed to allow new pins (later courses) - it seems the devs just do not have time, after all, it will not generate new income.And I have seen RSG pins in stroke play.....zero reads, it was like Kiawah bad reads on steroids!

I would say we will get the one course a year - that generates interest with the VUSO where players use up balls trying to learn and qualify....that is the business model - anything else just does not increase revenue to justify the development costs, which has been estimated at several hundreds of thousands of dollars and the six month of time to create a new course..

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 5:02 PM
    If they even still have the programmers in house that could write a new course.

The ones they appear to have now can't even fix the forum, you expect them to write the code for a new course

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 11:56 PM
    It occurred to me some time after writing my post that it's only the old courses that have more than 1 pin position. Or at least more than 1 has been made available to us.

Wasn't it Congressional they returned to to shoot the second set of pins? I remember at the time everyone being pretty sure any new courses would have this done when the original photos were taken. Returning to a course just for a second set of pins is crazy, the cost must be pretty much prohibitive.

Strangely though, it's all the newer courses that only have 1 set. RSG, Merion, Olympic, Pinehurst, Chambers, Pebble, Erin Hills. Hell, that's nearly 2/3 the courses, only 4 of them have 2 sets of pins.

That they went to the time and expense of getting all that gear out there, not just cameras but surveying equipment as well, had the course closed for them to do the work and DIDN'T take pictures for multiple pin positions would be insane.

Perhaps even more insane than having no formatting tools in forums for close to 4 weeks.........
  • PAGES
RSS