Forums

Help › Forums

Equipment advice

Tue, Apr 10 2018 9:24 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • FriendWhiskers
    4 Posts
    Mon, Oct 16 2017 9:27 AM
    Hello all, There is a lot of fantastic advice in this forum and I am hoping to get some input on my current situation. At the moment I am a Level 59 Tour Pro - avg. score 69.64. My bag contains- Driver: WGT Pro Driver 3W: L30 TM R11 Hybrid: stock Irons: stock Wedges: L14 TM - 60 & 54 Putter: stock I am considering upgrading either my driver or my irons - at this point I can only afford one upgrade (2,700 credits currently). I am considering the L55 TM M1 driver (slower meter cousin of the highly praised L48 TM driver) or the L59 Ping irons. My gut is leaning towards the driver at the moment. While it would be great to have more consistent approach shots that check up on the greens I think the added distance off the tee would be helpful for scoring on the longer par 4s. My short game is generally good and I can make up for a few missed greens here and there. Anyway, just looking for some input. Thanks for your help! -Whiskers
  • HalHoff
    813 Posts
    Mon, Oct 16 2017 7:49 PM

The level 59 Ping irons will serve you well til you reach the level 85 Callaways. Wedges are the next most important clubs as those are your scoring clubs. Level 50ish Max wedges work great until you reach the level 80ish Clevelands. 60-80-100 distance increment is what I recommend and have had the 60-75-90 also. Learn the punch shot with them. Don't need a hybrid.  Take all your clubs to the practice course and know what each will do at 100, 97 and 95 percent both with no spin and full back spin. That will dial your game in. You won't need a Driver til they move your tees back at Legend when you move to the parking lot tees. 

• craaaaaaaaze8
    458 Posts
    Mon, Oct 16 2017 8:45 PM
    my advice would be to WGT...how about leaving the precision, accuracy and meter speeds alone. checked ball , club and meter speeds today. my 5.0 ball speed is closer to 3.5, my 4.5 club speed with a 5.0 ball is closer to 3.5...tested this against my 3.5 club and 3.5 ball, they are all the same...some kinda BS as usual.
  • borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, Oct 17 2017 1:54 AM

2 things 

First if you don’t already use the pitch,  Learn it. With the higher level Clevland 64 degree wedge I can pitch from around 8 yards with full b/s to around 21 or 22 using a touch of t/s. And I hole out 2 or 3 every week.

Second until legend you really don’t need a 3 wood. Drop it in favor of a 4th wedge. If you need or want more distance than the 3 Iron can get you punch your driver. Unless you have an obstacle to clear  the punched driver is as  sweetiePie once said is sneaky long;.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Tue, Oct 17 2017 11:25 AM
    Just the 275 R1 driver (late 40s level required) and the Pings (level 59 I believe) with a trio of semi-decent wedges can easily take you to legend if you know how to play properly. Everything else is just gravy. Also don't invest in expensive balls until your whole bag is filled out. It's like being a pig farmer and going to the store to buy bacon. I always get a kick out of players with several starter clubs and Nike balls.
  • FriendWhiskers
    4 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2017 8:32 AM
    Thank you for all of the replies everyone! Still kind of torn on which direction to go first (irons or driver) so for now I think I might just keep saving and if I get too antsy maybe I'll just flip a coin. Either option will improve my game at the moment, but I'm not sure which would improve it more. Time will tell :) -Whiskers
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2017 10:45 PM
    Think about your club usage. On the average 18 hole course, you will probably hit a driver around 14 times. How many irons shots will you hit?

You might play a several 9 hole rounds and track your actual # of shots for your Driver, 3W and irons (as a group of clubs) to see how many of each you hit. Include wedge shots tracked by each club. It will give you some idea as to how you are playing.

Looking at your stats, you are just of 58% greens in regulation(GIR) and 22 feet average distance to the pin (ADP). You want to improve those #'s, especially the GIR. The closer you are to the pin and the more GIR you have, the lower you will begin to score. Once you get some numbers, you can think about which shots you can improve to help your game the most.

Good Luck.

• havefunsue
    1 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2017 11:26 PM
    Get the M1 and then upgrade your wedges. With the longer tee shots you will only have a wedge in many times and will be hitting two less clubs in on the longer holes. Much more manageable. Plus chicks dig the long ball.
  • FriendWhiskers
    4 Posts
    Fri, Oct 20 2017 1:16 PM
    phred952:
    Think about your club usage. On the average 18 hole course, you will probably hit a driver around 14 times. How many irons shots will you hit?

You might play a several 9 hole rounds and track your actual # of shots for your Driver, 3W and irons (as a group of clubs) to see how many of each you hit. Include wedge shots tracked by each club. It will give you some idea as to how you are playing.

Looking at your stats, you are just of 58% greens in regulation(GIR) and 22 feet average distance to the pin (ADP). You want to improve those #'s, especially the GIR. The closer you are to the pin and the more GIR you have, the lower you will begin to score. Once you get some numbers, you can think about which shots you can improve to help your game the most.

Good Luck.

Thanks for this input. I agree that my GIR is what needs the most improvement and there are just a ton more iron shots per round so I got the Pings first - they will hold the greens better than the starters for sure! I will probably get a 100yd wedge next (L38 ATV) and continue to save up for the driver. Thanks to everyone for their input! I am happy with my decision so far :)
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 2:14 AM
    Again, best of luck. Map those new irons, along with any wedges you get. On the wedges I would map for full shots on all of them. On the 64 degree, I would map for full, punch, flop and pitch shots. Use the search box for tips on how to do that.

As far as which wedge to get first, I would track how far out you are on your wedge approach shots before you decide. Remember those L38ish ATVs do step a bit funny. When I used them I had the 64, 60 and 56 degree ones. Distances are 50, 77 and 93 yards respectively.

There also are a 54 and 52 degree wedges, with yardage good for 98 and 105 yards. I never played either of them, and there aren't very many reviews. The G25 iron set PW is 115.

• PAGES
RSS