Forums

Help › Forums

$70,000 World Championship

Mon, Oct 16 2017 11:31 AM (8 replies)
  • Young46
    1,292 Posts
    Fri, Oct 13 2017 9:44 PM
    Just read that another golf game (not even on PC or Mobile) held a World Championship this May in Las Vegas with a $70,000 prize pool. 64 players qualified for the event which included hotel and airfare. Pretty sad that the "#1 Golf Game" does absolutely nothing.
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,503 Posts
    Fri, Oct 13 2017 11:46 PM

I remember playing that thing in arcade game centers back in the 90's. It wasn't called Golden Tee Golf back then, I believe... not quite sure of it.

Anyway, as far as I can remember, the game was very hard to play! You gotta roll that trackball thing with a right amount of strength, not to mention the direction and you were lucky to finish the whole 18 holes with 16-20 quarters. LOL

It's quite amazing that not only the company (and the game) has survived, but also hosts that kind of grand-prize championship for its aficionados!

Hope the news is thought-provoking for WGT/TopGolf.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sat, Oct 14 2017 4:03 AM
    Well, they do have the Top Golf Tour. http://tour.topgolf.com Its real life not a game
  • julio1235
    238 Posts
    Sat, Oct 14 2017 5:06 AM
    Would like to play in that Woodoworkery if the closest one for me wasn't a 3 1/2 hour drive one way!
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sat, Oct 14 2017 10:13 AM
    If they can do that, no reason they can't do a virtual one.
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Oct 14 2017 12:44 PM
    I think this game is what it is whilst it's Flash. They did think of something similar a while back but whether it was just money or policing who got to qualify, it was soon in the too much trouble basket...................................They can't effectively police what they have................... If they could solve the above it would attract interest as well as obviously more competition. It would involve great investment if it were possible................................................ I see zero appetite from the current hosts for real investment let alone one that would involve any risk.
  • stizzle1988
    1,015 Posts
    Sun, Oct 15 2017 11:43 PM
    Jason thanks for all your efforts to make this game big as it sure has the capability of it. It's just that WGT/Topgolf is not interested in doing such things. I wish they would. The question is: can we do something about it? Your streamed rounds are fun to watch on twitch and i can imagine that with a good promotion a lot of players would watch it. Imagine a qualifier with 28/56... spots for a major that is held somewhere and players play 1 vs 1 games streamed on twitch. A nice thought for sure :)
  • MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Mon, Oct 16 2017 10:39 AM
    Yeah, but they might've been shot if they went. Silver linings.
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Oct 16 2017 11:31 AM
    SimonTheBeetle:
    I remember playing that thing in arcade game centers back in the 90's. It wasn't called Golden Tee Golf back then, I believe... not quite sure of it.

Going by your flag if you had won it you'd probably just have found the next guy down shouting lawyers until he got your prize.

It's one of these "World Championships" where the world is N America.
RSS