• seveking
    983 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 10:09 AM

DISCLAIMER: This tournament is not sponsored by WGT

U.S.A         WORLD

14                      14

CLICK HERE for the FULL LEADERBOARD 

Captains

Like in the real Ryder Cup, each team will have a Captain. This year, the Captain can choose whether he/she wants to take part as a player or wants to be a non-playing Captain. If the Captain chooses not to play, he/she must say so as soon as elected, and one there will be one more qualifying spot for the team. If you want to be Captain you have to sign up by using the links at the bottom of this page.

Captains will be required to choose the pairings for the fourballs and the alternate hole when the time comes. They are allowed to recruit players for the qualifying process and are also expected to raise team spirit. It is also their duty to choose the two Wild Cards.

Wild cards

The nine qualifiers plus the Captain (or the extra spot if the Captain chooses not to play) add up to ten players, which means we are still missing two players per team. Just like the real Ryder, the Captains choose two player to complete their team. The two wild cards must be chosen from the pool of players who took part in the qualifying.  

Awards

These are the Ryder Cup awards, which you can win with good performances in your Cup matches. There are various awards to be won:

- Player of the tournament. Based on your stats during the tournament, but the final decision is taken by the Awards Committee. The winner gets a trophy plus 200 credits.

- Newbie of the tournament. The best player of the ones who didn´t take part last year wins a trophy plus 100 credits. Decided by the Awards Committee.

- Best International player. Also voted by the Awards Committee, the best International player gets a trophy.

- Best U.S.A. player. A trophy for the best American player of the tournament.

-Winning Captain. The person who leads the team to victory receives a trophy, and will “come on stage” during the Awards Ceremony to collect the 2011 Ryder Cup!

All awards will be given at the end of the tournament, in a ceremony which will take place at the IRC chat room.

IRC Commentary

When the Ryder Cup starts, you will be able to follow live commentary of some of the matches. In the meantime, the place that will be used for commentary is a chat room where you can talk to WGT members. Click HERE to go to the chat room.

Ryder Cup stats Center

Click HERE to see last year´s stats. This section will be updated when the competition starts.

Ryder Cup Betting Center

Once again, this year you will be able to win credits by betting on the Ryder Cup matches. More details in next week.

Format of play

Good luck to everybody and let me know if anything hasn’t been explained clearly or if I’ve missed out something.

There will be three different formats of play, just like the real Ryder Cup. Two of them will be exactly the same as in real life, and, one of them will not. Let’s start with the one that won’t.  

Alternate shot

Alternate shot will be played in pairs. The pairings will be decided by the Captains, who can take advice from the players as to who they would like to play with as a partner.

There will be eight alternate shot matches played, meaning that four players from each team will have to play twice. Alternate shot will take up the first ten days of the virtual Ryder Cup.

CONDITIONS: Eighteen holes at Congressional 

Doubles match play

This will be normal doubles match play (nine holes). We play in pairs and the score that counts is the lowest of the pair.

Example: Harrington takes a 3, Mickelson and Woods both take a 4 and McIlroy takes 6. Even though, if you add up the scores, U.S.A. have taken less shots, Team World would win because the lowest score is Harrington’s.

There will be another eight matches of doubles, so, again, four players from each team will have to play twice. Doubles will take up another ten days of the virtual Ryder Cup.

CONDITIONS: Back nine Congressional 

Individual match play

Just like the real Ryder Cup, the last part of the tournament will consist of 18 holes  of individual match play. One player from Team World against one from U.S.A. 

CONDITIONS: Congressional 18 holes match play

And, after all this, one of the two teams will be the champion of the virtual world!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view the Team World qualifying leaderboard, click HERE

To view the U.S.A. qualifying leaderboard, click HERE

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 10:10 AM

HERE IS THE 2011 RYDER CUP, ORGANISED BY ENGLISH LAKES COUNTRY CLUB

Many thanks to Monty, Dan, Stu, Lou and Dave, and all other who are going to help out thorughout the tournament.

Captain signups are open until the 15th of June. Go to the Captains section to read all about it and the changes there will be this year.

Qualifying begins today and will consist of the Monthly Tournaments of June, July, August and September.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 11:02 AM

You've got my interest once more

nice job

• PRIESTESS
    10,702 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 11:38 AM

Just to confirm 100 percent Seve,Its the same qualifying system as last  year with the 18 hole monthly?

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 11:38 AM

Indeed! This appears to be by far the best and most fun organized tourny i've seen. I hope to qualify. I will start the U-S-A chants now...

• kam4122
    1,695 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 11:56 AM

PRIESTESS:

Just to confirm 100 percent Seve,Its the same qualifying system as last  year with the 18 hole monthly?

Hi Amanda,

You are correct but in addition to this we were listening to the discussions on the previous thread, so the 4 monthly's are not the only qualifying events, we will throw other monthly's into the mix, such as the monthly kiawah to get the numbers up.

We feel it is important that each qualifier is a monthly one, so ensure everyone has a chance to play them. I remember last year some players missed a qualifier, so by sticking with monthly's it ensures a fair crack of the whip for all.

Cheers

Monty

• swdeva
    238 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 12:30 PM

Hi,

18 hole open, what does this mean?. I play 18 holes and post my score????. Or on June 18th their will be a format were players play 18 holes and u post your score than. This my first time trying to make the Ryder cup.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 12:48 PM

There is a wgt single play stroke play tournament called "June 18 Hole Open". Play it and let us know of your score, using the links above.

• OahuKahuna
    93 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2011 9:01 PM

A big HOORAH!! for the English Lakes CC & it;s member's running the Ryder Cup 2011, & of course to you Seve, so that the Ryder of WGT lives on. Good luck to everyone.

• kam4122
    1,695 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2011 1:24 AM

A number of you have mailed me asking if the Ryder Cup is a Legend only tournament.

As in all previous editions, it is again a Legend tournament this year.

This is in no way to be elitist, this type of tournament has to be played from the same tees, therefore giving no individual player any kind of distance advantage.

There is of course still time for top masters etc to push on with their ranked rounds to break into the Legend Tier, and join the qualification process.

Good luck to all.

RSS