Forums

Help › Forums

St Andrews Yardage Discrepancies

Sat, Sep 23 2017 2:37 AM (5 replies)
  • hititphat
    17 Posts
    Fri, Sep 22 2017 3:45 AM

Hi how ya doing

just noticed a couple of yardage discrepancies.

Might cause problem on the driveable Par 4s.

Hole 12 (as per pic) States 294 & 284

Hole 13 (no pic) States 410 & 400

Did not check any other holes cos the phone rang  (O;

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Sep 22 2017 10:10 AM

Hit them 289 and 405.  ;)

In any event, I always use the aiming box's yardage.

Forget which hole it is but the short uphill par 4 on chambers is a prime example.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Sep 22 2017 10:31 AM

The 294yds is to the center of the green (the yardages from the tee always are), the 284yds is to the pin. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Sep 22 2017 10:43 AM

Not on STA, D!

IRL, scorecard length is not the distance to the hole! But, here, it sometimes is.

STA follows the older scheme to bind the scorecard length to one of the flags. If the other flag is in play, the yardage may show discrepancies on Par4s and Par5s. (On Par3s, always the correct yardage is displayed.)

This is true for courses before OLY.

At later courses, this correlation was abandoned. Now, the scorecard length is closer to the greens' centers (mostly - curious minds might examine OLY #2 *chuckles*).

You will see the correct yardage to the pin when hovering over the blue dot on the mini map,
    or after whiffing the tee shot - take a putter. Then, the real distance will be shown.

I can't tell about that CHB hole (#12?).

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Sep 22 2017 11:25 AM

alosso:
    Not on STA, D!

Sorry (i slapped ma heid), just found a similar thread too.  Strange thing is 285 yds has become 284yds, was it remeasured? :-)

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Sat, Sep 23 2017 2:37 AM

alosso:

Not on STA, D!

IRL, scorecard length is not the distance to the hole! But, here, it sometimes is.

STA follows the older scheme to bind the scorecard length to one of the flags. If the other flag is in play, the yardage may show discrepancies on Par4s and Par5s. (On Par3s, always the correct yardage is displayed.)

You will see the correct yardage when hovering over the blue dot on the mini map,
    or after whiffing the tee shot - take a putter. Then, the real distance will be shown.

This is true for courses before OLY.

At later courses, this correlation was abandoned. Now, the scorecard length is closer to the greens' centers (mostly - curious minds might examine OLY #2 *chuckles*).

I can't tell about that CHB hole (#12?).

Hi alosso,

From memory Hole #12 @ CB is 281/282 as the crow flies

Ken

RSS