Forums

Help › Forums

Club upgrade advice

Tue, Sep 19 2017 11:08 AM (5 replies)
  • powmoe
    1 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2017 9:44 AM

hey everyone first time poster.  I was hoping to get some upgrade advice. I'm a lvl 78 legend and am currently using the following sticks.

level 48 tm driver

level 74 call 3 wood

lvl   59 ping irons

54 60 and 64 lvl 30 atvs

lve 33 ghost putter.

Im thinking about getting the level 79 sldr and to eventually upgrade to the cleves.

Any suggestions?

Thanks 

Matt

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2017 11:55 AM

Looking your stats, I'd say your upgrade ideas are spot on. The level 48 R1 is a great driver, but at Legend you could use a little more distance off the tee. The rest of your clubs are fine for now.

Congrats at making Legend after so few ranked rounds. It took me 621 rounds to get there.

• SeveFrost
    1,490 Posts
    Sat, Sep 16 2017 10:10 AM

Matt, first club to get after the new driver should be the Cleveland 64 wedge. its the best club in my bag

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Sep 17 2017 11:12 PM

Despite being a gear freak I'm going to suggest you hang onto those credits a while and avoid having to buy too many clubs.

You have good irons already, there isn't much that will better them and offer a similar meter speed until you get to the Callaway irons at L85 and 97.  Obviously L97 is still a way off so would understand if you want to jump on the L85 set.  It won't take you as long to get there and they're damn near as good as the L97 ones.

I'd also wait a bit and get the Callaway BB Fusion at L85.  It has a slower meter and costs a bit less that the Slider.  There really are a lot of very similar drivers around that level, seems like someone forget to clear out the shop.

Wedges are a very personal thing.  I've been using the high level ATV since they came out and will probably never change them.  I found the spin on the Clevelands a bit too much and I prefer the 50 yards the 64 ATV offers.  There's also no real reason to get wedges as a set, as long as you can handle different meter speeds and get the yardage gaps pretty even.  Some of the best players here have used odd wedges over the years.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Sep 17 2017 11:47 PM

Matt,

since you bought yourself a shiny new driver, the next buy IMHO should be to replace the 54° wedge. Choose one of the top buys to your liking.

Reasons:

- wedges have a similar or equal meter speed, so a brand mix won't harm.

- in the longer clubs, the quality difference is higher. I owned those L40ish Taylormades (only were they Z Satin then), and I still carry the 64° @50 yds. I gained more dart-like precision with two top wedges above. Between ATV and Cleve, it's a question of price and of taste concerning the spin effects, but both are controllable.

Some top players suggest the MAX which are a different beast (primarily for meter speed).

• redknight21
    162 Posts
    Tue, Sep 19 2017 11:08 AM

Don't get the Taylor Made red spider putter.  I am so frustrated with it . The ball speed is way off and inconsistent. Have to hit almost double weight to get to hole on a flat surface. As far as I'm concerned a complete waste of the 2700 credits I had to spend to get it. Doesn't live up to its supposed rating. 

RSS