Forums

Help › Forums

Full club set recommendations

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 23 2009 11:04 AM (23 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 11:23 AM

My recommendation: Rapture set + Redwood putter + GI-D balls.

• TheTommyD
    140 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2009 3:56 PM

Ty, my thoughts exactley, Looking forward to playing with you some day!

• acca
    78 Posts
    Sun, Sep 20 2009 4:55 AM

r9 driver , for the extra distance , 255 pro , 275 master .. ping g10 pro set . and redwood putter as the bloke who said presisson you cant beat the g10s also correct about the wedges i have chiped in the hole many times with the g 10 wedges , but everyone is different , once you get to master the swing meter is faster than pro anyway so you may as well get use to it now on pro , hope that helps

• TheTommyD
    140 Posts
    Sun, Sep 20 2009 12:13 PM

I'm worried about the faster swing meter but as you and others have said I'll need to adjust if I make it to the next level.

Like I said before, it's too bad you can't try out the clubs.

I may take molideha's suggestion and buy one club to see how the faster swing meter is.

Besides, the way I'm playing this weekend I don't have to worry about making the next level :0

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Tom

• kissfanpdx
    84 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 1:11 AM

i have the graphite ping g10 , and i like them, but i just purchased the ping redwood putter, and i really like it.  I think the clubs are very important, but what im finding is the putter and use the wgt golf balls, they ad needed distance.  just my two cents...

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 3:02 AM

Ha ha ha ... didn't see that coming! really made me laugh Soulcatcher. i didn't know how best to explain my 60W accuracy so since i'm English i thought  i'd explain how easy i can land my balls on the queens face (2 pence piece)

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 7:14 AM

lmao

• ChristopherRouss
    133 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 8:47 AM

really?  took strokes off?  I've never gotten the hang of my new putter so I'm still using d original one.  The higher end putters seem to be more touchy and sometimes the 15 foot option throws me off....  I'm not used to judging the distances on it I guess so it was adding to mine......  The biggest thing with putting for me is judging the breaks......

• ChristopherRouss
    133 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 8:52 AM

but for new clubs I like the Taylor burner driver....  if you can't figure out the swing meter on fast then you probably have problems with it on slow too.....  I mean it's what makes the game more realistic... how many times in real life do you hit it flush?  well I wouldn't know cuz I've never really played in real life 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 9:52 AM

I read the answers to your query Chris and I'm not seeing something I think you should consider. A lot of emphasis seems to be placed on the swing meter speed. I think you'll eventually find that relative to your own reactions. Unless you're stone drunk or totally devoid of eye-hand coordination you'll gravitate to an acceptable level of hitting perfect. I, for one, depend on NOT hitting perfect to compensate for wind and direction and it works quite well for me. It didn't at first though.

What I didn't see mentioned is the accuracy and spin ratings of the clubs, way more important than how fast or slow your meter goes. The Taylor irons match the satin wedges in accuracy and spin rating to the point that the 3 satin wedges I carry are actually 4 when you factor in the wedge from the main set, all with the highest accuracy rating and spin.

Your new clubs are not going to instantly make you better-you still have to learn them. What you do gain are  fabulous tools to use, provided you take the time to learn them. I find the Taylor irons to be the most accurate and when you realize your approach shot is what is going to make the biggest difference in your game you might want to look at how well the club performs when hitting the green.

You'll see the importance when you make master and have to tee off 20-40 yds further back and your approach shot becomes much longer and harder to hold greens with. Look at the spin ratings-it's how you're going to be able to control the ball on the green.

I get my clocked cleaned by players with starter clubs and Pings so whatever you wind up with just know you need that Redwood putter and irons that will let you park that ball wherever you want.

A really effective way to work up to a full set is to get the driver for the distance off the tee and a couple of wedges to get up. Then, play to the spot in the fairway where the wedges are most effective and get good at sticking them on the pin. That's where the nice putter comes in because I think the Redwood is deadly accurate and the only putter to have, meter speed notwithstanding (using the higher scales slows it down anyway.)

Above all, search the forum posts for one by Nivlac on "club comparison", a truly excellent reference.

YJ

RSS