Help › Forums

Hurricane Harvey

Sat, Sep 2 2017 2:57 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • player987654
    28 Posts
    Sat, Aug 26 2017 8:41 PM

Anyone been affected seriously?

Here in Houston we just got 4 inches of rain in one hour.

Best wishes and stay safe.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Mon, Aug 28 2017 10:38 AM

I'm 50 miles NW of Big H, and our house is up a bit so we are OK.  To all our members in SE Texas and Louisiana, be safe.

• BillyDoubt1974
    2 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2017 7:44 PM

I've been high and relatively dry over here in Pasadena.  It got a bit sketchy Sat. night/Sun. morning.  Water covered about a quarter of my front yard, but it receded.  A good friend of mine and his family weren't as lucky over in the Scarsdale/45 S area.  If you were watching local news coverage here, they were a few of those that were picked up Sun. afternoon after they waded out of their neighborhood over on 45 and Astoria Dr.  

They had to leave one of their dogs in the house because she was scared and the HPD rescue team refused to let her on the boat because she was scared and started growling.  He improvised an island in the house with mattresses piled up and an open bag of dog food because the water was about waist high in the house.  He hated to leave her there and probably would have stayed if it wasn't for the fact that his 11 year old daughter needed to get out of there.

Monday night he called me and asked if I would help him on a rescue mission because he had received credible information that the water had receded from the houses.  I went to GRB and picked him up and we parked on the shoulder of I45.  We waded in from there and made the 3 block trip in chest deep water in some spots.  He was an emotional wreck after all that he and his family had been through.  As we got to his house he left me in his wake and sprinted to the door in knee high water.  By the time I got to his front door I could hear that the news was good.  I'm not sure who was more happy to see the other, him or his dog.  We waded back out, taking turns carrying his lab/retriever mix dog.  Not light lol.  But we made it and the family is safe and whole again.  He said after this is over, I won't have to pay for another beer or a round of golf again lol.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2017 8:34 AM

I'm glad your friend was able to rescue his dog Billy.  Our pets are part of our families, and leaving it behind had to be hard.  But our children have to come first.  I admire you for helping him out.

Be safe,

phred952 

• player987654
    28 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2017 9:02 AM

BillyDoubt1974:

A good friend of mine and his family weren't as lucky over in the Scarsdale/45 S area.  If you were watching local news coverage here, they were a few of those that were picked up Sun. afternoon after they waded out of their neighborhood over on 45 and Astoria Dr.  

...He hated to leave her there and probably would have stayed if it wasn't for the fact that his 11 year old daughter needed to get out of there.

...By the time I got to his front door I could hear that the news was good.  I'm not sure who was more happy to see the other, him or his dog.  We waded back out, taking turns carrying his lab/retriever mix dog.  Not light lol.  But we made it and the family is safe and whole again.  He said after this is over, I won't have to pay for another beer or a round of golf again lol.

Amazing to hear, Billy. I live just south of there by Blackhawk, and I did walk over to Astoria Dr. Waist deep as far as I could see. I just hope the best for the others in the Astoria/Scarsdale area.

• TLLENDMAN
    78 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2017 10:34 AM

our prayers and thoughts are with you, God bless

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Fri, Sep 1 2017 5:05 AM

player987654:

My God. That is unheard of until now. 4 inches in an hour. 

I have been busy all week and I took today to finally slow down and get caught up on the back lash of devastation to lives and property. 

My heart and my donation will go out to all the people in Beaumont and Houston from ANOTHER natural disaster. An even bigger disaster is electro's stick is to small for icon so now they just shoot 69's.God Bless all of the people affected by this hurricane. 

God Bless all of the people affected by this hurricane. 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Sep 1 2017 10:10 AM

overtheedge:

player987654:

My God. That is unheard of until now. 4 inches in an hour. 

I have been busy all week and I took today to finally slow down and get caught up on the back lash of devastation to lives and property. 

My heart and my donation will go out to all the people in Beaumont and Houston from ANOTHER natural disaster. 

God Bless all of the people affected by this hurricane. 

Jeff,

Thanks for your compassion and donation to help those people affected by this tragedy.  The highest rainfall total reported for one area (Cedar Bayou, Tx) as of August 30th was 51.88 inches.  It's 20-25 miles east of Houston. near Baytown,  just south of I-10.  

The National Weather Service reported this is the worst storm to ever hit the Continental USA.  Last estimate I saw was that over 100,000 homes have some substantial flooding.  Number of vehicles with flood damage may reach 1,000,000.

Again thank you,

Jeff

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Sep 1 2017 10:40 AM

Fantastic the way people have pulled together.  Heart out to all affected............Best wishes.

• player987654
    28 Posts
    Fri, Sep 1 2017 11:20 AM

Jimbog1964:

Fantastic the way people have pulled together.  Heart out to all affected............Best wishes.

Thanks for all the support. Harvey has brought out service, charity, and compassion on so many levels.

We have entire neighborhoods that smell like mildew, and today thousands of lawns are filled with the destroyed carpet, mattresses, and appliances. Gas prices are coming up by about 30 cents a gallon, just because the refineries are still off line.

Nonetheless, the sun shines and soon we will return to work and school.

• PAGES
RSS