Forums

Help › Forums

"Speed Golf"

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 21 2009 4:43 PM (6 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Sep 17 2009 10:21 AM

Something I tried recently while practicing is "speed golf", meaning not taking time to move the target, but only concentrating my efforts on learning the speed of the swing meter for each club used and the positioning of the "hit" (draw or slice) after the second "click". I most often used a full swing to help in learning the speed of the meter. By looking at the wind gauge, I determined whether a draw or slice would be necessary, and tried to hit the corresponding area of the meter with the second click of the mouse.

I also used this method with the putter.

As a newb with new clubs, I found this to be a valuable exercise in not only learning the different speeds of the clubs, but also the resultant effects of "mis-hits", and how they are either amplified or nullified by differing windspeeds.

I only offer this method of learning the clubs as a temporary one, especially for other "rookies" here who wish to learn the effects that mis-hits have. It gets you through a course quickly (unless taking notes), and gives you a chance to concentrate your efforts on a specific part of your game, being  WGT (currently) lacks a "driving range" and "practice green".

I learned alot about the draw/slice/wind/distance interactions this way and will use this info in the future when choosing between clubs.

Just be sure to click the "PRACTICE" button, before you do this...I  wouldn't want anyone's base scores affected negatively. : /

Have any others done this, or something similar, to learn their clubs and the effects of mis-hits?

How do others use the "practice" portion of WGT?

edit: Forgot to ask... is it possible to
    lose" a ball while practicing in the "practice" area of the site?

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Thu, Sep 17 2009 7:30 PM

I play speed golf, i rush, but focus on shots, usually i take like less than 10 seconds a shot!

• Sketti
    2 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 10:52 AM

Where is the "Practice" button? I haven't seen one.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 12:06 PM

Practice go to Main Menu, Select Course, Stroke Play, Practice. 

As you will find in other threads, you can take a practice swing anytime by not stopping the power meter as it returns to the white line and it will not cost you a stroke.  I use this technic to see how fast the power meter is running and it keep me from hitting a bad shot when the meter hesitates or jumps.  Just don't over think it and let your brain short out your hand eye coordination...which, in my humble opinion, is the main reason for hitting bad shots.

Joey

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 1:48 PM

yeah... BethPage Black & Kiawah are the only ones that light up the "practice" button.

{select course>bpb (or kiawah)>stroke play>practice}

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 4:33 PM

yeah i, i only change the direction of my shot by missing the meter also.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2009 4:43 PM

One problem with off-center hits is they rob you of distance.

RSS