Forums

Help › Forums

CHOICE

Fri, Aug 18 2017 2:18 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gonfission
    2,229 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 5:10 AM

If anyone is interested, I'd like to know whether you prefer, happiness, or freedom, in life?

Why?

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 6:29 AM

asked Donald .

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 7:44 AM

Interesting question, but it implies a false dichotomy, as if you're saying if one is happy, one can't be free, likewise that if one is free, one can't be happy.

There's also a false equivalence implied, as if the two concepts are equal.

What does happiness really mean?  Happy to see you?  Happy birthday?  Happy to be here?  You've made me so very happy?  It's at best a nebulous term, pretty much devoid of any serious meaning in my opinion.  I don't think one can ever honestly say, Well I've achieved happiness so there's nothing left to do.  If someone tells me, "I'm really happy now," I think to myself, Just wait a minute, the feeling is fleeting.

Freedom, on the other hand, goes much deeper, and although opinions may vary as to what constitutes freedom, countless wars have been fought and countless people have died in its name.  It's hard to imagine anyone willing to go to war or die for happiness.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 8:06 AM

Going to war for freedom?  What a novel concept.  Nowadays it's all about the oil...

Anyway, back to the OP's question...freedom would also generate happiness for me.  So, by going with that particular option, I get both.  The reverse doesn't necessarily hold true.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 8:06 AM

Perhaps the degree of freedom that we choose as acceptable lends itself to an overall chance of happiness often.

We all accept law.  In the end, law can only be a coming together of ideas for the good of all, it's not trying to serve the needs of one individual.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 8:31 AM

There is a new TV show coming on and the teaser is: "If you had a choice to save the world or spend a week with a beautiful woman... what would you do?"

seriously?

This latest hollywood drivel is exactly why I play wgt instead of watching TV....oi vey.

ct

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 10:58 PM

Is this happiness .

or freedom to shop till you drop.

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 11:00 PM

He was happy - until the truck hit him .

• ostfriedel
    2,050 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2017 11:33 PM

gonfission:

If anyone is interested, I'd like to know whether you prefer, happiness, or freedom, in life?

I prefere life.

Why?

Because since I nearly lost mine I know the worse of it.

• blindpugh
    433 Posts
    Thu, Aug 17 2017 2:36 AM

Look at what's happening in the world today, it's got to be freedom.

Without freedom you cant be happy.

\@@/

• PAGES
RSS