How often to use backspin?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 20 2009 8:07 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 4:18 AM

Hi Golfers

just wondering how often you all use backspin off the fairways? i tend to always use backspin through habit but not sure if that is the best.

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 5:04 AM

i use backspin and topspin to adjust for between club shots....bs reduces ball flight, ts increases ball flight.

gl

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 6:35 AM

I find that with a trailing wind  I get more distance, in general, using full backspin; gets the ball to a higher trajectory thus riding the wind further, which I find more than compensates for added distance from topspin roll.  With a headwind, topspin will get you further down the fairway, keeps the ball lower and thus is less effected by the wind plus one gets the forward roll from the TS.

HBthree

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 7:30 AM

It depends on the shot distance, club used, wind conditions, pin placement, and green layout.

There is no easy answer for when to use BS or TS, it all depends on what is in front of you and how you want to approach the hole.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 8:25 AM

and remember the ball stops quicker if you hit the centre line rather than a off centre contact where the ball might run on a few more yards

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 8:31 AM

Everything is better when you hit the center line.  Life is good when you hit the center line.

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 9:22 AM

MMM... I just hit center line!

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 6:10 PM

Elevation is also a huge factor. For example, if your using ts into an up hill slope like the drive on BB#18 the ball will not roll much at all reguardless of the wind speed or direction. Too much bs on BB#16 with a tail wind will also shorten the length as opposed to a more subtle bs to take advantage of the tail wind And get some extra roll(distance) out of it. Sometimes on approach shots to a higher elev. I won`t use spin at all if I can safely reach the green resulting in a very soft landing where as bs would react by bouncing past the target(BB not Kiawah). Which brings me to another point. Different courses react in their own way. Bottom line is- it`s a Feel type of shot. Experiment and learn because as Marioh stated above, there are many variables! GL

• BabyBulldog
    64 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2009 10:51 AM

I use BS and TS depending on the shot but I find using the B-ES ball helps with stopping the ball on the green. Just remember using BS it will take yardage off the club.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 2:12 PM

eternalspirit:

Hi Golfers

just wondering how often you all use backspin off the fairways? i tend to always use backspin through habit but not sure if that is the best.

1/2 the time off the tee (normally with a following wind)

1/2 of the time with fairway woods (normally with a following wind)

3/4s of the time with the irons ( for control)

9/10s of the time with wedge ( for control)

• PAGES
RSS