Forums

Help › Forums

The Music Thread

Mon, Oct 30 2023 9:19 AM (1,790 replies)
  • PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 2:26 PM

How about a sampling of Mongolian throat singing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M3YFK3sJ54&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• lickspittle
    90 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 3:31 PM

Could that be Dr Brian May, of Queen fame?

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 5:07 PM

Hey DF,

Very nice, very classic, and timeless for sure.

Being a drummer, I tend to lean towards the percussion side of the conversation. Here's one of the most technically precise of all time (oh, and did I mention how large of a sound he gets out of that tiny bass drum? go ahead, size it up compared to others, lol).

• SteveOx
    699 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 5:09 PM

Trivia:   His name is  Brian May .  Played for this one small band...  "QUEEN"

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 5:26 PM

Snaike:
    Which musician is not only one of the 10 greatest guitar players ever, who builds all of his own guitars, but also has a PhD in Astrophysics?!

As Horseshack used to say... "Oh Oh oh OOOHHHH, I know this one"

EDIT: Ninja'd by OX, well done.....

• sdorr
    650 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 8:50 PM

LizzieRossetti:
    But also (you really got me goin' now) hb some of dissss

Brings back fond memories. Saw them live at the L.A. coliseum in the early 80's. Listening to that song 50 feet away from a 75 foot high by 25 foot wide speaker tower really does the trick.

What? Sorry, I can't hear you.

P.S. I would like to dedicate this song to you Lizzie, just seems to fit ya.

"Free-For-All" by Ted Nugent. LOL.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2011 10:54 PM

lickspittle:

Could that be Dr Brian May, of Queen fame?

We have a winner!!  It ~is~ Dr. May, who is also, according to that most venerable web site "Wikipedia", grumpy all of the time.

• BenRC
    381 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 1:21 AM

Been involved with music in many different ways...roadie, band mgr, equip mgr, 

So many bands, so many favorites...My love of the Clash, second to none, 

Travelled to Dublin to see U2 at Croke

For music that takes me places I've never been before, Radiohead for me

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 4:51 AM

Snaike:
     It ~is~ Dr. May, who is also, according to that most venerable web site "Wikipedia", grumpy all of the time.

Doesn't surprise me young Brian has a PhD in astrophysiscs....after all, when you're a god, you'd damn-well better understand how the heavens work, right?

Lots of great names trotted out in this thread, and nice to see Rush included (as they should be!).

As a good Canadian boy, I've gotta throw The Tragically Hip into the mix.  Go and see them. Just do it.  When you've seen Gord Downie perform live.....you WILL understand.

Another, and without a doubt the best, small-venue, live act I've ever seen, was the late, great Country Dick Montana and the Beat Farmers.  If you're San Diegan, and over 30, you should know who this is.  If you don't, your youth was wasted.

Oh by the way, which one's Pink?

• OkieX
    175 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 9:07 AM

Jerm65:
    Lots of great names trotted out in this thread, and nice to see Rush included (as they should be!).

I didn't realize this was a Best Of thread or a One up thread.

Thought it was just a music thread.   Leave the top 100 list to VH1 and Rolling Stone magazine.

How about just posting some stuff your digging on at the moment instead of trying to play music historian or critic.

And with that said I'm gona Spoon feed you one more time before changing it up.

Really dig this one.   Unique groove.

RSS