Forums

Help › Forums

Jeff's New WGT CC vs CC Interplay format

Thu, Dec 21 2017 9:21 AM (65 replies)
  • Indian55
    2,997 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2017 7:49 PM

Love this toury and the guys do thanks for the invite Mark.  My boy BroncoRod tried hard to get his match in.      Chris1973M   was a no show last night to get it in. So what we do my friend ?

Thanks

Don

• mngoose33
    579 Posts
    Fri, Sep 1 2017 12:14 PM

Don,

Given that you had a match scheduled and the opponent didn't show up, I think this match should be considered a forfeit and Indian Red should be awarded the win.  (I'd like Mark to weigh in on this, however.)  In the interest of fairness, I'd recommend waiting a day or two to see if Chris1973M (or someone else from Live and Let Golf) has an opposing view on this proposal.  

Regarding other matchups that weren't played, it's frankly difficult to assign wins/losses to unplayed matchups based on the "reasonable effort to schedule" standard, as this standard isn't well-defined and one person's idea of "reasonableness" may differ from another's.  At a minimum, we would need to know how what steps each team took to set up a match.  For example, if you sent 5 messages to your opponent and never received a response, that's probably grounds for a forfeit and your team should get the win.  On the other hand, if you and your opponent messaged back and forth throughout the month and simply couldn't find a time when both players were available, that's probably a "no-fault" outcome where neither team should receive a win.  Without this level of detail, I think the default has to be that an unplayed match is simply an unplayed match (i.e., nobody gets the points).  In other words, the scenario Don described above where a forfeit could be awarded is the exception, not the norm. 

One other note: in an ideal world, all six teams would ensure their players were firmly committed to playing matches and would swap out players who are unable to participate in any given month.  Clearly we aren't quite meeting that standard as a group.  BUT, let's not forget: the majority of matches are indeed taking place (6 out of 9, 8 out of 9, and 4 out of 9 in August — and even better participation in July), so I think the tournament is actually working reasonably well.  I know I'm having fun playing / meeting people from other clubs, which is of course the main point of the tourney at the end of the day.  

Mark, any thoughts?

• Indian55
    2,997 Posts
    Wed, Sep 6 2017 7:14 AM

Even in your rules state that if game doesn't get played it's a loss. My guys work hard to get these in. I think BroncoRod should be awarded his win for trying. That would be fair for him.

Don

• Guidonikita2
    95 Posts
    Wed, Sep 6 2017 8:40 AM

Hi Don

i absolutly agree with you. There is no sport event in the world, that not use that rule. The one who dos not show up, looses the match, very easy.

Next time, send a message to the creator of the tournament, if somebody dos not wanna play, or runns away all the time. Then you have proof.

It happens tou our club 2 month ago several times. And the ones they havent plaied or refused, they got the points.

For me its clear my friend, i will not participate again in a tournament like that, where this rules and regulations are done like rubber.

Cu soon

GuidoNikita2

• DufferJohn7
    3,561 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2017 10:44 PM

We interrupt this rules discussion for a report of on course activity.  This afternoon I hooked up with Bernard (BFettich) of TCDJ CC for our match on Olympic F9.A big achievement, both of us completed all 9 holes without hitting a tree!  I was cruising 2 up with a tap in birdie winner (at worst a half) when I clicked the wrong button and conceded an 18 foot eagle putt! DUH! But the force was with me and with a birdie on 9 I won 2 up.

A fun match with a good competitor and nothing like making it interesting.

Having fun, hitting 'em straight and learned if I'm not going to concede don't click anything!

John

• mngoose33
    579 Posts
    Fri, Sep 8 2017 7:27 AM

To be clear: if a match is not played, the default outcome is that neither team is awarded any points (i.e., both teams get a loss).  Points are only awarded for unplayed matches if one team makes a reasonable effort to set up the match (i.e., several direct messages, friend requests, etc) and the other team either does not reciprocate or does not show.  This is why BroncoRod will be awarded a win over Chris1973M in last month's contest.  

GuidoNikita: I wanted to clarify two things about your post.  

• You said that when your team had unplayed matches two months ago, the other team got the points.  This is inaccurate.  No points were awarded for any of your unplayed matches to either team; they were counted as losses for both Live and Let Golf and Valley of the Sun.  Again, the default outcome is that unplayed matches are not scored (i.e., they're losses).  
    • You said that the rules rules and regulations in this tournament are "done like rubber."  I don't think that's true.  If you look at the rules on the spreadsheet (link below), it states that "If a match is not played, it will count as a loss."  This is exactly how we are treating unplayed matches...we've only made one exception to this rule, and that was a clear case where one player showed up for a match and the other didn't (which you agreed was the correct call in your post).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-0IkHLklGxD69z6m4T2kcC_5GAdroTkJR9-HZSCeTsE/edit#gid=1216907172

Jeff

• mngoose33
    579 Posts
    Fri, Sep 8 2017 7:32 AM

Sounds like a great match, John!  Sorry to see my teammate take the L, but glad to hear you guys had fun and stayed out of the woods!

Jeff

RSS