Forums

Help › Forums

What to upgrade next and When

Fri, Jul 28 2017 11:51 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • colinjones0
    430 Posts
    Tue, Jul 18 2017 6:22 PM

I would welcome any advise on What to upgrade next and When.........DRIVERS

TaylorMade R1 TP 9.0 White Driver (Aldila 65 shaft)(L48+}

FAIRWAY WOODS

TaylorMade R15 3 Fairway Wood (L41+)

HYBRIDS

TaylorMade R15 3 Hybrid 19° (L43+)

IRONS

PING G25 Iron Set (Steel) (L59+)

WEDGES

Cleveland 588 56° Wedge (L76+)

Cleveland 588 60° Wedge (L78+)

Cleveland 588 64° Wedge (L80+)

PUTTERS

TaylorMade Red Spider Putter (L51+}

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jul 19 2017 8:21 AM

Upgrade nothing until Legend.

You could try a different ball perhaps.  I'd recommend the Callaway Chrome soft L33.  it's cheap and plays well.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,503 Posts
    Wed, Jul 19 2017 8:28 AM

kavvz:

Upgrade nothing until Legend.

You could try a different ball perhaps.  I'd recommend the Callaway Chrome soft L33.  it's cheap and plays well.

+1

I've said this in numerous occasions and I'm saying it again :

Wait until you reach L90 and buy yourself the TaylorMade R15 Full Set. This is a purchase you won't regret! I know I didn't and still have them in inventory.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Jul 19 2017 10:03 AM

Or you could go ahead and get the L83+ Ping G25`s and play those to L90+ . Looking at where you are and what`s ahead I have to ask what are you going to do ? Are you going to tier up or try to stay at the lower tiers ? If you are going to get serious about the game and really play and advance then upgrade . But if you are only going to waste your time and just play around then do nothing . Dont waste your money on buying clubs that you dont need .

What you can do is play stroke play practice rounds and move back on the tees . See how far back you can go and play with the clubs you have . That`s the best indicator for upgrading your clubs .

• colinjones0
    430 Posts
    Wed, Jul 19 2017 11:14 AM

Thanks Lonnie like that idea,am thinking of going for the level 85 steelheads as seem to be better than the pings  59 or 83 on forgiveness and spin,and 2.2 points per club over thr lvl 59s  and 1.7 over the level 83s,this seems quite good value to me as i play a lot ,as I medically retired and to much time on my hands and cant play for real due to my problems,so play a lot for fun [free balls] and also want to get more serious maybe challenge for a few club comps etc.Ps also not that happy with the spider putter seems to need to be over hit in almost all flat and uphill putts,I do play for the ding and also off ding depending on my situation,any further advise would be great ,thanks again all

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Wed, Jul 19 2017 1:14 PM

+1 to the consideration of personal goals - paramount to many shop decisions here.

Alas,

lonniescott711:
    you could go ahead and get the L83+ Ping G25`s

I'd postpone this at least until Master tier, if not far into TM tier.

He owns the L59 G25s, and the others can't be so much better as to justify a change as a TP. Better wait until the need is given, and then decide what to buy.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Jul 20 2017 8:52 AM

@ Colin if you want a better putter then get the L70+ Versa putter . The Versa line of putters are the best in the proshop . I had the L70+ and loved it and many others will also tell you the same . The best part about it is that you can putt either way it , be it playing or missing the ding . Its one of the few clubs you wont regret ever buying .

• SeveFrost
    1,491 Posts
    Thu, Jul 20 2017 11:32 AM

Colin, had the 85 steelheads for a while now, replacing my black Nike irons. the comparisons with the Nike's on attributes was almost identical but the Calloways are much better when playing in wind and hold their line a lot better. they're a great iron 

• colinjones0
    430 Posts
    Fri, Jul 21 2017 3:48 AM

Hi  seve,noticed you got the lvl 77 spider same as me ,any tips as seem to need to add extra power to nearly all shots,finding  that annoying with this putter

• BigTrap
    29 Posts
    Fri, Jul 21 2017 7:24 AM

Love my  85 steel heads-good control and accurate! If I could just figure out a good putter I'd be golden.  I have a Ghost 92 but i dont get the increments as I'm usually too short or too long.  

• PAGES
RSS