Forums

Help › Forums

3 wood trouble

Sun, Jul 23 2017 11:07 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • irisheyez5
    1,753 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2017 4:50 PM

why does this keep happening  .....  with  228  yards  or so  to pin on 8th hole erin hills, 10-12 head wind i hit  95% power with 3 wood 3/4 bs  and  shot always  duffs  trickles ahead like i used my putter ................  this  has happened  at least 5x in past week     is there a glitch????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

3 wood  BS

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2017 5:25 PM

Yeah its a bug . Erin Hills has a ton of bugs in its program . I sent a bug report through C/S and the reply was they would pass the information on to Q/A to look at the game . I think it was a rush job and some new rookie programmers and the course got jacked up . Thats not the only hole a couple more are going to give you fits as you play .

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2017 11:39 PM

Check the lie condition - it may be low % rough instead of FW, pointing to the difference.

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2017 12:09 AM

Hi,

Well, iam on the same boat too. Whenever I use the wood in Erin Hills, I probably end up as OUT OF BOUNDS or 60-70% rough. No idea whats happening in-between. Wind is strong, bloody fairway aimed but miles away the shot goes south. Lost so many balls there. 

-Carl

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2017 4:12 AM

Absolutely not a bug or a bad lie. There is a huge hill right in front of you and your 3wd does not have the loft to clear it. You get the same shot when on the upslope of the ridge running across the 7th at RSG. Try and drive the ball to a spot where the slope in front of you is less steep, perhaps further out right where you can also hit a full 3wd with full backspin for more elevation. Otherwise, if you find the same spot again, just accept you are taking a chance by playing the same shot again and consider a lay up. 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2017 9:09 AM

After watching the replay I have to agree with this diagnosis. A three iron would have been the better choice.

fmagnets:

Absolutely not a bug or a bad lie. There is a huge hill right in front of you and your 3wd does not have the loft to clear it. You get the same shot when on the upslope of the ridge running across the 7th at RSG. Try and drive the ball to a spot where the slope in front of you is less steep, perhaps further out right where you can also hit a full 3wd with full backspin for more elevation. Otherwise, if you find the same spot again, just accept you are taking a chance by playing the same shot again and consider a lay up. 

• irisheyez5
    1,753 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2017 10:12 AM

After  watching  replay  YES it clearly shows i'm hitting  hill  .....  just suprised with almost full back spin i dont get more loft ..... is wat it is i guess   tnx all  for input 

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2017 10:42 AM

K7JBQ:

After watching the replay I have to agree with this diagnosis. A three iron would have been the better choice.

fmagnets:

Wouldnt have made any difference . I had a similar shot the other day . Was playing in practice setting just hitting balls low wind . I was 219 to the green hit 3i ball wouldnt even go over 200 yards . Rehit the shot several times using the mulligan and at no time could I reach the green .The ball at no time would go over 200 yards, hole 8 has a bug and has had it from the start .

Even during the qualifier it was playing this way in practice setting . I sent WGT a report back then and got no response the first time but got one the second time .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2017 11:27 AM

lonniescott711:
    I was 219 to the green hit 3i ball wouldnt even go over 200 yards . Rehit the shot several times using the mulligan and at no time could I reach the green

I think Mags nailed it, there's no bug, just a very steep slope that doesn't appear to be as steep as it actually is. I went out there in practice mode and took these shots-a 3W from 228, a 3i from 228 and 220 and a 4i from 220.

The 3W clearly hit the turf in front of it in the first pic and caroms forward. From the same lie, a 3i does what it did in the second pic but you don't see the shot hit the turf like with the 3W. I think this is just a rendering issue OR a realistic loft effect from an exaggerated open club face caused by the steep slope. The second pic is also what happened from 220-it never got to 200 because it always hit the slope. Aiming more right didn't change anything.

However, the 4rd shot shows a 4i from 220 and you can see where the carry lands it in front of the trap. Pretty convincing, Mags got it.  :-)

p.s., Learnt something here myself.  ;-)

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2017 1:09 PM

Everything that I hit was clearing the slope with no problem but kept falling short at the bunker . The loft for me wasnt the problem with the 3i it was the carry and the shot clearly dying at 200yards . The 3 wood carried but it was always long . I just played it again too and its the same . Of course we all dont get the same deviation either but for the most part its the same results .

I also noticed that even though I can usually get 297+ on drives with the rock , on this hole I cant get 280 even with a tailwind . Im getting 270 - 275 with the rock but can reach the top of the slope with my regular ball . So go figure this is just going to be a problem hole .

• PAGES
RSS