Help › Forums

Upgrade Advice

Sun, Jul 16 2017 6:43 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • felixedwards86
    15 Posts
    Wed, Jul 5 2017 3:14 AM

Hi Guys,

I know there is a LOAD of advice out there, and believe me I have trawled through it, but there's so much it can get confusing. Wondering if perhaps you could provide some personal advice?

So I have been playing for about 50-ish days now, doing well, Master tier and Level 70. I am finding the longer tees and faster greens more difficult now and I was wondering if I should be upgrading my equipment or balls; so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My current equipment list is:

Driver: Taylor R1 (L48)

3WD: Taylor R11 (L30)

Wedges: PING Gorge 56 (L41) 60 (L42) Taylor ATV 64 (L39)

Irons: PING G25 (L59)

Putter: Taylor Ghost (L35) 

Balls: Standard (I have tried Cally (L33 I think) in the past)

Any advice as I say is much appreciated.

Felix

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Jul 6 2017 7:01 PM

You are scoring well using the starter balls.  Cally L33's are a good ball for the cost, but I used the G13-S for most things, except tournaments.  I played those same Ping irons until I could get the Nike L85 irons (same as Cally L85's with a slightly faster meter).

I waited until I got to L79 to buy the TM SLDR in white, but at that time the L74 M1 wasn't available.  Until then I played with the Ping G25 L58 Driver and 3W,  I upgraded to the Ping L81 3W until I could get the L85 Nike (now Cally) 3W and Driver. 

Putters are probably the most personal club on WGT.  It all comes down to feel.  Most people would say that the L70 Versa putter is the best putter available until you get up into the highest levels.  I played that Versa, then went to the L77 Nike Method.

Probably better wedges would make a huge difference.  You will have the top level Cleveland wedges available before too long.  Once you learn to control the spin they are great.  They will make the starter ball back up.

Hope this helps a bit.

phred952

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Jul 6 2017 7:25 PM

Hi Felix, I wouldn't upgrade a thing until Legend.  i.e. your current equipment is just fine at the master/tour master tier.

• felixedwards86
    15 Posts
    Fri, Jul 7 2017 12:54 AM

Would you recommend using upgraded balls, however?

• felixedwards86
    15 Posts
    Fri, Jul 7 2017 12:55 AM

Thank you, it's appreciated.

I did rent the Versa putter (L70), however, I found I was missing quite a lot that I would have been sinking with the Ghost. Think I'm gonna stick with my Ghost, that I know the feel for, until the higher levels.

I am looking forward to those Cleves becoming available.

• CrazyNewt
    25 Posts
    Fri, Jul 7 2017 8:47 AM

Whilst it's taken me considerably longer than 50(ish)days! to get to Master I've pretty much got the same equipment list.

One thing I have noticed is that my ghost putter, using the GI2-S balls is that my putting has become very sensitive to breaks and ball speed.

Sometimes it feels like I can't missing from 20ft, but if I slightly miss the ding it seems to start off in a totally different direction and I can't even put anything in the hole from 6ft if there's any kind of slope involved.

Everything else in my kit list seems to do me well, especially the 235yd 3wd I picked up, really helps on the longer par5's - it's just the damned putter.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the sabretooth, and coming here for advice and finding this email makes me think the OP is also feeling that there is a bit more potential to be had if his current set up is tweaked (rather than replaced wholesale).

My best round was a 63 (just after I got promoted to Master ironically) but there were at least another 3-4 shots going begging in that round where the loss of feel caused the miss (rather than just being rubbish :) ).

I'm wondering if it might be the putter/ball combination doing it - does anyone have any advice on how the ball affects putting? I suppose I'm looking for a little more forgiveness from my putter.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Fri, Jul 7 2017 11:59 AM

Just a quick note about renting putters:

Unllike most other clubs, you can't really tell if a putter is going to work for you based on a short rental. Each putter has it's own personality and feel, and it just plain takes many rounds to get it dialed in.

In almost all cases, the rental putter isn't going to give you any better results than the one you've been playing with. Generally, it will seem worse.

IMO, the level 70 Versa is far and away the best putter available at that level. It took me from Master to Legend. But it takes time to sort it out.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2017 12:13 PM

The only adjustment I'd make is to start playing the B-ES balls. They are better than the starter balls, and they're basically free. Click through 2-3 minutes of videos and you've paid for a sleeve.  that's not hard to do a couple of times a week.

B-ES balls are fairly easy to control with the irons/wedges you have in your bag. 

• SeveFrost
    1,490 Posts
    Sun, Jul 16 2017 3:59 AM

the driver you've got is fine up to Legend level 

regarding 3woods I'd recommend the x2 as it has a big hitting area and is very stable

irons, wait until you teach mid 80s and buy the calloway steelheads

wedges. get the mac daddy 100 yard wedge but also the 80/60 yard Cleveland's. If you can only afford one get the 64deg Cleveland first as it gets you out if so many tight spots

putters. Ive had a lot of different putters but I'll never change from the level 77 red spider model. its very good on all different distance putts and very stable

Balls. I've always saved credits for club upgrades so I'd do the same and chop and change between the 10 credit spin/distance balls until you have the clubs you want

good luck

• SKrietz
    835 Posts
    Sun, Jul 16 2017 6:15 PM

the lvl 70 versa is a great putter most reasons you found you missed more then you'd would with the spider is it holds its line longer then yours so that means more precise line was needed

• PAGES
RSS