2017 US Open Qualifying "Legends"

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 29 2017 3:28 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Jun 22 2017 11:58 PM

Hi All,

Just curious as to what scores "Legend" tier players are shooting in the unlimited qualifying period for the 2017 US open at Erin Hills.

Just interested to know if any "Legends" actually make the cut for the tournament proper - currently at 56 I think.

My best a 59 - and thats taken me a month and a half lolol. Still 3 shots to make the cut, and realistically it aint gonna happen. Good fun trying though :-)

Cheers

Doug

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:43 AM

dorkfeatures:
    My best a 59 - and thats taken me a month and a half lolol

Doug, no shame in a 59 mate......and better than my best!

Not that I have played it, and I have only played the course twice thus far. I do not like unlimited tournaments, but I understand the commercial viability of them, it is just not me.

Good luck knocking the 3 shots off.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 23 2017 2:13 AM

Hi mate,

In all honesty I think you have the game, just making it hard by being a bit under clubbed. I would not go too much by how many "Ls" make it unless you know the Ls.  IMO L90 + clubs will give that meaningful tiny extra when chasing that VUSOpen score.  Sent you an invite, love to have someone with your attitude...And I think overall, going by how you seem, it might be a good environment....Cheers and well played.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sat, Jun 24 2017 12:20 AM

Hi Alanti & Jim,

Thanks for the comments  

Dont forget Alanti the unlimited part of the tournament is only to qualify for the real thing. Once you've made the cut - then its sudden death. I think there are 4 rounds in the tournament proper, and you get just the one chance per round.

I think to qualify from my Legend level is almost impossible, as you mention Jimbog I dont have the clubs, and I dont play enough to ever be able to get them - so ... I just have to keep hammering away. 

I must say I'm pretty thrilled with a 59, as for making up those 3 shots - no chance !!  I would have to virtually hole every putt, and thats not possible. Mind you - if I could putt then I'd be a chance lolol.

Happy hitting guys.

Cheers

Doug

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Jun 24 2017 3:29 PM

dorkfeatures:
    Dont forget Alanti the unlimited part of the tournament is only to qualify

Yep, and that is where it loses me....I just can't/won't grind out rounds.

I agree, much tougher to qualify with your clubs, but not impossible - there is one player using similar clubs to you but is at level 90.

I played a game of AS on it last night, and if the ball is in the wrong place on the green, there are some tough putts, but in a good spot, 10-15 feet putts are not bad....,,,,but like you, making them is another story!

Just have fun Doug, you always get top marks for your attitude.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sat, Jun 24 2017 9:11 PM

Hi Alanti,

I find the course  - lets say relatively easy, compared with other courses at WGT. So its no wonder the leaders are on 52. I also see all the big names lurking in the 55's - so it will be a great final.

If you are not in the right places on this course, it will kill you. So its no wonder a lot of the pro's were shooting triple bogeys in the real thing. The old adage "fairways and greens" really counts here.

Always having fun - if only I could putt though lololol.

Cheers

Doug 

• LilShep82
    18 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2017 12:51 AM

I just shot a 56, think im the only legend to qualify lol. did it with level 32 irons so i think im gonna have to upgrade.....its going to be horrendous from the champ tees otherwise at level 77 :/

shep

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2017 7:26 AM

dorkfeatures:

Hi All,

Just curious as to what scores "Legend" tier players are shooting in the unlimited qualifying period for the 2017 US open at Erin Hills.

Just interested to know if any "Legends" actually make the cut for the tournament proper - currently at 56 I think.

My best a 59 - and thats taken me a month and a half lolol. Still 3 shots to make the cut, and realistically it aint gonna happen. Good fun trying though :-)

Cheers

Doug

59 is a great score! Looking like 56 will be the number right now unless 16 people make it move to 55 within under 4 days; which I really don't see happening. 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2017 4:29 PM

LilShep82:

I just shot a 56, think im the only legend to qualify lol. did it with level 32 irons so i think im gonna have to upgrade.....its going to be horrendous from the champ tees otherwise at level 77 :/

shep

Congrats on your score and I hope it holds up.   Sadly you are running into the downside of rising through the tiers early.

I see you just got the L75 speedblades, which was probably your best available choice right now,  You will probably want to spend the next few days mapping them and playing a few more rounds in the qualifier to see how they play in those conditions.

Anyway, Good Luck.

phred952

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2017 6:21 PM

Hi Devonnnnn,

Thanks for that.  If there's one part of my game that lets me down its my putting :-(  I miss far to many putts inside 10' - but then doesnt everyone??

As the saying goes "Drive for show - putt for dough"

I think the cut will be close - it could fall to 55. I see my position slip every day by 2 or 3 places, so realistically the cut could drop to 55. We'll see.

Cheers

Doug

• PAGES
RSS