Forums

Help › Forums

Curious about hole #1 @ St Adrews

Fri, Jun 30 2017 6:54 AM (25 replies)
  • Dad2147
    1,745 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2017 10:45 AM

Last night I made a perfect drive(I thought) to around 270 Yards which put me at 2-3 yards from the little creek. Had 25 yds to the hole. I tried a punch shot with the 50 yd punch club and hit it at 51% to reach the hole. I hit the ding perfect and the ball went 2-3 yds directly into the creek. 

Question is is the a Wgt thing or did I mess up some way?

Your comments are appreciated. 

Have you seen this happen?

thanks Dad

• opyeuclid
    6,704 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2017 4:05 PM

Good day ,  Here is what I know .  50% of almost any club does not = 1/2 of what the club will hit .

I also might have gone for the  Flop shot from there .

OPY

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2017 4:36 PM

Dad2147:
    Last night I made a perfect drive(I thought) to around 270 Yards which put me at 2-3 yards from the little creek. Had 25 yds to the hole. I tried a punch shot with the 50 yd punch club and hit it at 51% to reach the hole. I hit the ding perfect and the ball went 2-3 yds directly into the creek. 

You might want to check out this thread titled "50 Punch Advice." The numbers in the spreadsheet, linked in the first post, are quite accurate.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/403805/2786352.aspx#2786352

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2017 4:49 PM

Dad2147:

thanks Dad

Next time use a flop shot.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2017 9:39 PM

Dad2147:

thanks Dad

Sorry but I don't think a 2 or 3 yard punch even hit at 51% is going to happen. What will get a 2 or 3 yard shot is a 64 degree wedge pitch or chip hit at 51% . You use either the pitch or chip to line up your shot then take your shot forgetting to switch to punch before hitting the shot.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 3:11 AM

borntobesting:
    Sorry but I don't think a 2 or 3 yard punch even hit at 51% is going to happen. What will get a 2 or 3 yard shot is a 64 degree wedge pitch or chip hit at 51% . You use either the pitch or chip to line up your shot then take your shot forgetting to switch to punch before hitting the shot.

This seems the most logical explanation.

I punch the shot described and usually (unless I make an unforced error) get it to at most 3-4ft from pin. Others flop and some use full. There's no wrong shot, just find which works for you.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 4:44 AM

Try hitting your driver, or even 3 wood, driver at around 90%. Try to give yourself a controlled wedge shot, 80 to 100 yds. out.  Hitting any of your clubs less than 90% is a crap shoot. Course management will lower your scores, and give you better and easier shots at birdie.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 5:20 AM

Luckystar5:
    Try hitting your driver, or even 3 wood, driver at around 90%.

Punch the driver. Always gets a full wedge in any wind.  :-)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 5:24 AM

Luckystar5:
    Try hitting your driver, or even 3 wood, driver at around 90%. Try to give yourself a controlled wedge shot, 80 to 100 yds

Yeah, that's probably the best way to go.

It is surprising just how many players take the HULK SMASH approach to driving.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2017 6:17 AM

Luckystar5:
    Try hitting your driver, or even 3 wood, driver at around 90%. Try to give yourself a controlled wedge shot, 80 to 100 yds. out.  Hitting any of your clubs less than 90% is a crap shoot. Course management will lower your scores, and give you better and easier shots at birdie.

I absolutely agree with you that course management is key to lower scores. But I disagree that hitting clubs (at least wedges) at less than 90% is a crap shoot. (If you're simply referring to clubs above wedges, I agree. I never hit those clubs at less than 90%.)

There are a number of different ways to approach hitting wedges at less than 50% that work very well and are extremely consistent. I posted a link to one approach above, using the punch shot. An example of another approach is with the 64-degree wedge.

For shots less than 35 yards, I've used that wedge at less than 90% with very good success. I simply add about 6 to 8 yards to the shot and hit the appropriate for % as a full shot with full backspin. Of course, one also has to consider the green one is hitting into. For some greens, I might add only 4 to 5 yards and put topspin on the ball. The 7th hole on Merion, with the front pin location, comes immediately to mind.

Nevertheless, there are a number of methods that one can use that provide consistent results with wedges at less than 90%.

RSS