Help › Forums

How secure is this sight?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 10 2009 2:39 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Vikingking
    4 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 6:19 PM

I don't have proof and am not pointing fingers yet.....  I've recently decided to upgrade my clubs by buying better ones.....    the day after I made my purchase I started having fraudulent charges on my credit card I used on this sight.....  In other words someone stole my credit card number and stole every penny I had to my name and then some..... All the charges happened in California and I live in small town Wisconsin.....  my question is HAS ANYONE ELSE USING THIS SIGHT AND THEIR CREDIT CARD BEEN ROBBED LIKE I HAVE?.......  I'm only asking because this is the only new place I've used my card and this sight happens to be based out of California where all my fraudulent charges were made...  I've cancled my card and the bank is working on fixing this theft and I know that I will not be making any purchases from this sight anytime in the near future....   It's a shame because I really enjoy this game....

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 7:12 PM

Vikingking, you can use PayPal which is sufficiently secure.

That being said, the security of this site isn't up to standards, because all browsers signalize warnings whenever you access purportedly secure portions of the site. The reason is that some elements on WGT's "secure pages" are in fact not secure, resulting in those warnings being generated.

BTW if you noticed the fraudulent charges on your card right away, it's very unlikely for you to suffer any real financial damage.

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 7:55 PM

that has never happened to me before, after using my credit card, and i live in California...

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 8:00 PM

^^^^

thats a bummer man!

• Vikingking
    4 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 9:48 PM

I didn't see the paypal option but will use it in the future... thanks for the heads up...  and yes  the bank and visa are setting things right for me ... still someone got a bunch of free food and booze at my expense....  hope they choke on it!

• Vikingking
    4 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 9:52 PM

it was my debit card so they took all my cash in the bank so it was a bummer of a holiday weekend for the family

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 4:54 AM

You might want to scan your computer for a virus. Sounds like something's watching your keystrokes.

www.securitytango.com -- a free and very comprehensive way to scrub your computer and keep it that way.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 5:07 AM

I agree with YankeeJim.

Do a thorough scan of your PC for spyware/malware/virus' etc..

I have not experienced any issues with this site (I used a CC here), but I also won't use a debit card for any type of purchases, especially on the Internet, due to paranoia.

I've had my credit card number used fraudulently once, and the CC company was all over it and contacted me on the same day the fraudulent purchase was made.

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 8:58 AM

I agree with the other posters.  I use Paypal to pay for any upgrades on any site that I am not very familar with.  More than likely your numbers were not stolen from this site but rather from some program running on your computer.  I had a similar thing happen about 3 years ago.  I was using Chase as my bank, I had been using another bank that was purchased by Chase.  I kept getting emails from Chase, telling me that I had to update my account information within a certain time period to keep my account working properly.  I never did it and saw an email one day and realized that I needed to update.  Rather than logging in via the normal Chase method, I clicked the hyper link on the email ( a big no no ).  It took me directly to the Chase log in but what I didn't know was that I was being shadowed by the sender of the email, they recorded every thing I entered.  The next day I got an email from Chase saying that the following checks were pending for the next day, normally I don't even notice emails from banks since I get them all the time but fortunately I saw this one which had 11 checks scheduled to be delivered at various places in New York City, the checks ranged from $11,000 to $40,000 and would have cleared the account.  Fortunately I called the fraud group at Chase and they cancelled all the transaction.  Why they didn't wire the funds out I have no idea but I'm glad they didn't.  Had to close this account and set up a new one, new checks and everything but no money lost.

If you had used a credit card, I think your liability is $50 but using a debit card online is very risky.  I would never do that, hope you are able to recover your money.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 9:24 AM

TarheelsRule:
     I clicked the hyper link on the email ( a big no no ).  It took me directly to the Chase log in but what I didn't know was that I was being shadowed by the sender of the email, they recorded every thing I entered.

I'd say you were taken to a copy of the Chase login page, made to look exactly the same as the original. You probably didn't closely check the address in your browser's address bar. So, when you input your username and password, you did so on the hackers' own webpage masqued as the Chase website. Then they took those data you gave them, went to the true Chase login page & initiated the transactions. At least that's how it most commonly works.

• PAGES
RSS