Forums

Help › Forums

ALTERNATE SHOT TOURNAMENT: FOR FUN !!!!

Sat, Jul 1 2017 5:13 AM (101 replies)
  • NALO1210
    186 Posts
    Thu, Jun 1 2017 10:56 AM

@FLEXBOMB

so why do u play such a stupid Tournament?????

no one forces you
    u know the rules before , so what :)

cheers 
    Petra
  • BirdieLady9
    2,454 Posts
    Thu, Jun 1 2017 11:26 AM

I like the idea of a losers bracket.....getting a chance to redeem yourself for a poor outing......happens to ev1...... keeps more teams interested to continue .

Patti :)

• LillaSzak
    1,058 Posts
    Thu, Jun 1 2017 7:23 PM

BirdieLady9:

I like the idea of a losers bracket.....getting a chance to redeem yourself for a poor outing......happens to ev1...... keeps more teams interested to continue .

Patti :)

Thank you for that Patti , That was my intention , since some teams are much stronger than others. People will appreciate the opportunity to play again and have a chance . This competition is based on fun . I think its more fun this way :))

xx

R

• flexbomb
    380 Posts
    Thu, Jun 1 2017 8:17 PM

NALO1210:

@FLEXBOMB

no one forces you

cheers 
    Petra

Great question, thank you for caring so much.  I joined because I support the idea of community based tournaments, WGT lacks imagination with their tournament choices and structures.  Because of that I felt it relevant to point out that this tournament structure is flawed.  There's a good reason that single elimination and double elimination tournaments are the two universally accepted tournament concepts, they work and they are fair. In general, the community will not get behind a 1 1/2 elimination tournament where only 1/2 of the teams get redemption

NALO1210:

@FLEXBOMB

no one forces you

cheers 
    Petra

Thanks for pointing this out, the OP says "It will be a double elimination tourney, with a winner's bracket, and a loser's bracket after the first round."  I need not explain the concept of double elimination, right?

If the plan is to grow this would it not make sense to use a concept that is proven to work and be fair?

• kdownunder
    1,462 Posts
    Sat, Jun 3 2017 2:02 AM

Hi:  I'm not sure it matters what the game sets are.  You just play according to the game rules.   

So it looks like the kdownunder/kayeman team & the wtiger/baldace team are not going to be able to find a mutually convenient time to play:   Australia / USA / England  so we are going to have to default to the weekly single play.   That will be week 33 single play that comes on tomorrow.

K

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Sat, Jun 3 2017 3:23 AM

flexbomb:

Thanks for pointing this out, the OP says "It will be a double elimination tourney, with a winner's bracket, and a loser's bracket after the first round."  I need not explain the concept of double elimination, right?

If the plan is to grow this would it not make sense to use a concept that is proven to work and be fair?

Hello. Double elimination means that is being given a second chance till the tournament reaches the nock out point. Usually this is the quarter finals. Played and participated in many pool tournamets over the years which usually were adopting the pyramidal system (double elimination). You could lose a match and keep playing till the quarter finals. After that point, you were out on the first defeat. So, if a player was reaching QF undefeated and losing just one game was out immediately.

• baggepance
    314 Posts
    Sat, Jun 3 2017 7:14 AM

Game 7 goes to baggepance/leighbullock team...3 and 2....Waz and Frank played well...but Danny was his usual awsome....:)

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sat, Jun 3 2017 11:27 AM

Yiannis1970:
    Double elimination means that is being given a second chance till the tournament reaches the nock out point

Hi Y.. That doesn't happen in DE tournaments.. Everyone gets eliminated only after 2 losses.

The other format which might have been referred would involve an elite and plate tier, where after round 1 the Ls drop to plate bracket and Ws to elite one. Round 1 could be direct drop or round robin.

• flexbomb
    380 Posts
    Sat, Jun 3 2017 5:17 PM

Vaibhav5viv:

Yiannis1970:
    Double elimination means that is being given a second chance till the tournament reaches the nock out point

Hi Y.. That doesn't happen in DE tournaments.. Everyone gets eliminated only after 2 losses.

The other format which might have been referred would involve an elite and plate tier, where after round 1 the Ls drop to plate bracket and Ws to elite one. Round 1 could be direct drop or round robin.

thank you.

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Sat, Jun 3 2017 11:52 PM

Vaibhav5viv:

Yiannis1970:

Hey pal!

What do you mean Vai with ''after 2 losses''? Let's make a scenario...

I reach undefeited the semifinals and losing my game. Are you implying that i have another chance to play again? Don't think so pal...

Maybe i was not clear. Double elimination format stands till the moment of the nockout round. So, in this kind of formats is usual to see players out with 2 lost games (on the preliminar stage) and players eliminated with just 1 (after QF).

RSS