Forums

Help › Forums

Any tips on playing US Open qualifier course?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 1 2017 1:01 PM (75 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 2:17 PM

Your driver is fine.  Really wanted to up it the L90 one is OK, just not as easy going v the competition - You will be replacing it later.

Your Irons - Good but IMO the key area of concern.  Better trajectory exists.  especially if that 3 iron comes out it's that now and then difference with the L90 set.

3 wood - A better one might buy you a club down at the last, not really your issue out there, IMO.

Putter: I just swapped the one yo have for a new toy, and may still go back to it.  PersonallyI think  you have an excellent putter, and can have every confidence in it.

I just shot a 57......My issues working off an old chart I put together for a L90  iron set, and slightly upgraded for the L97 set.  Pressure on putting especially at the par 3s is the result, not night and day but chasing down a 54.  Got away with it when I was playing all time but a longish break I am rusty without a complete chart of me as a crutch.  Others don't need one fine, but IMO best to have one.   .............I was disappointed to miss a couple of across face putts too..........My fault, no excuses. I think it's all playing fine, no underhand WGT tricks that I could see, all down to me.

EDIT: restarting at the first should take between 0 (TW off the bat) and 40 seconds MAX.  Eagles should happen 30% of the time from there blinfolded - L90 set???

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 4:50 PM

Thanks for the assessment. I'll look into those irons. I think I have enough credits in reserve. It just took me seven try's to get a tailwind. I think I am going try playing on a pc instead of my iPhone 7 plus.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, May 14 2017 6:38 AM

Are the Lvl 90 Rsi2's really going to make that much of a difference?  All you get is 5 yards and +1 spin.  -1 slower meter also.  I can see how the spin would be advantageous, but for the most part I don't have issues stopping the ball rn.

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Sun, May 14 2017 9:05 AM

I just tried the level 90's. I can see them helping if I practiced with them for a couple months but for now all they did was complicate things. Lol

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, May 14 2017 3:30 PM

No short easy route guys.............IMO.  As say landing yardages, and roll out should be known factors.  A short route to that is a sleeve or two burned up mapping and IMO Beth Page B9 in your CC, tourney mode, a few times so you KNOW it's all working.  

No magic that much difference exists when you chasing down top scores.  The L90 irons will sneak that extra better putting chance on some holes more regularly, but only if the work is put in. IMO.

When I first got to L I was all over the place.  I sort the forums for the first time.  A fine player named Lizard helped me much, but it also involved some work to get it off........Watch his vids and he will say landing yardages must be fully known.  100% power 95% BS what's the yardage with your club on say an 8 iron?  If you know that and a hole plays different you are not wondering next time.

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Mon, May 15 2017 10:46 AM

Your right Jim. No way I will make the cut unless I have a perfect round. I shot a a -10 after the first few days and a bunch of -8 and a -9 a couple times then it went south. Just shot a -7 and that is my best in a few days- not that I play many complete rounds these days. Lol

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, May 16 2017 7:26 PM

Well, just had another one of those almost rounds but couldn't seal the deal.  Just flippin' stupid ass mistakes that cost me.

Shot 59

Should have been 55 - if I wasn't an idiot and if I could putt the blinkin' ball in the flippin' black hole

100% GIR

100% fairways - not hard on those wide open ones

7.5ft average dist. to pin -- well below my overall average so hit good approaches all 18 holes

Made a flippin bogey from 6 feet.  Just a stupid mistake misread the break, missed and the thing went to the fringe on the other side of the cup.  Think I forgot to double check my meter scale just a dumb mistake.

Had about 3 other make able putts (like inside 10 ft) that just broke a bit too much, and I even mis dinged them to the pro side...still broke too far.  Couldn't believe at least 2 of them missed low.

Anyway, that's the latest story.  Easily gave up 4 shots out there today.

Arrrrgh!

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Wed, May 17 2017 3:17 PM

I know that feeling Kav. Had my best round going -10 through 12. Had an interruption in play came back and forgot to put the putt on the right scale. And hit it hard enough to go in the hole from about 8' needless to say it went downhill thirty feet and I got a double. Had a hole out on the last that bounced oddly out of the hole and landed thirty yards away. A couple other putts missed so close too. I know it's out there if all the stars align...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 17 2017 4:44 PM

darktone:
    I know it's out there if all the stars align...

LMAO. Exactly what funds the enterprise. Fun trying but after a while you might start thinking you're the donkey chasing the carrot. There's an upside, though. Look to the last week, all of a sudden stuff starts going right and you get bit all over again as the clock winds down. Pressure.  :-D

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Wed, May 17 2017 8:37 PM

I am having fun though. I am really learning a lot by playing so much on the same course. Not sure what I will do when the qualifying is over though....lol

RSS