Forums

Help › Forums

Any tips on playing US Open qualifier course?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 1 2017 1:01 PM (75 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 6:50 AM

Jimbog1964:
    How some bang out x2 54s off the bat is beyond me

WGT sets that up. The first week is all about getting players' attention and they do that by  putting  out a relaxed version of the course so those scores show up. Everybody has decent success their first few times out.

Then the tightening starts. Putts that dropped last week start just missing. Deviation gets tweaked and your shots start varying. Wind gets a little stronger  (how many 13-15 crosswinds did you run across the first week) and the direction on the key holes changes a bit. All of a sudden those eagles are a little harder to get. And on and on while you pound away, convinced you can get there. Maybe even to the point you think the more expensive ball will get you there. Or maybe the next line of clubs.  And you spend. 

I don't know this to be a fact, it's just my perception. Oddly enough it has held true for every VUSO since the first one at BPB. Small consolation, the last week seems to relax a bit and then the cut gets talked about dropping and all those that thought they were a shoe-in start feverishly trying to best their best. The cut usually doesn't change but the spending goes up trying to make sure you're in. Good times. LOL

• graemelee99
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 7:07 AM

well "I" think you're right Jim ^^^^

Totally different course over the last 2 days.... nothing dropping at all.   I also think distances are changeable.   Might be me and it probably is, but it seems a lot harder in my opinion

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 7:21 AM

Try once a day...no more. You've got plenty of time. Spending big bucks for little (or return) is foolish. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 2:27 PM

I had x 2 56s early on. If 56 looks like not being good enough I may seriously try again and will have another look anyway for fun, but my attention span and will are short lived at the best of times:).  Always fun playing something new though.

x2 54s is still flippin good looking to me whenever scored, not least when so close together anyway.  Maybe I should practise more?  That old chestnut again :)

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 4:17 PM

Hole #4 can be a real bugger,always a par or bogey when i drove straight towards the hole until i started driving to the right side of the bunker in the middle of the fairway then the birds started happening,even a couple eagles,,,so when playing #4 drive to the right side of that long middle bunker,it makes for an easier approach and putt,,,,,,,good luck to all trying to qualify,hope my 56 holds up.....

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 5:09 PM

DaveStrock:
    Hole #4 can be a real bugger,always a par or bogey when i drove straight towards the hole until i started driving to the right side of the bunker in the middle of the fairway then the birds started happening,even a couple eagles,,,so when playing #4 drive to the right side of that long middle bunker,it makes for an easier approach and putt,,,,,,,good luck to all trying to qualify,hope my 56 holds up.....

Yep.......FWIW I would add I found punching the wedge with a couple of dots of BS (L81 balls) left of the hole and just below for landing to hopefully stop it sliding down too far gives me the best chance of bird........

Well played and good luck with your 56.  Same filling up seemingly fast boat as me :)...

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 3:15 AM

I agree this course has toughened up considerably. I am going to keep plodding on and trying but my hope is pretty much gone. Just don't have the skill or equipment with the course the way it is now. 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 8:07 AM

Yes Dark, our equipment isn't helping us very much as Jim mentioned earlier as well.  

For example: On 2 if there isn't a tailwind, we can't get over the hill and get that favourable bounce to the green.  Those with the 287/9 drivers can and they certainly have a chance to reach some par 5's with a tail wind too.  We have no chance there either.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 8:28 AM

darktone:
    I am going to keep plodding on and trying but my hope is pretty much gone

I think you guys are short-suiting yourself. You're looking at this wrong. You don't have to eagle the par 5s to get in, you need to have 16 birdies. I know you've birdied every hole by now so just focus on putting them all in the same round, or as near as possible. An eagle offsets a par if you happen to get one.

Play a round until you get to the point where you have to birdie out. You just might find yourself standing on 18 needing a bird.  :-)

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 1:13 PM

once a day I get to -5 through 6 or 7 then I implode. I know there is a chance but so tedious trying to get an eagle on the first and waiting for the a tailwind. #2 I birdy 60% of the time and three and four about 25% of the time each. I keep it laying the full 18 to keep in practice in case I need those holes on a perfect front nine. I would but a longer driver if I could but I don't think there is anything that is not locked for me at L91. I am thinking about trying a different ball with more length but with the same meter speed. Would more spin help stop my 3 wood quicker? 

RSS