Forums

Help › Forums

Any tips on playing US Open qualifier course?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 1 2017 1:01 PM (75 replies)
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 7:56 AM

11BC2:

I've restarted around 9x on the Congressional Virtual Championship until F9 score of -10.  $hit gets tedious as hell, especially since I'm using old notes (actual sketches of greens and dot's speed/break).  I'm also making new sketches! and notes as I go.  Taking 5-15 minutes a damn hole is killing my soul (seriously). 

I've finally finished 17 holes and saved yet again.  I think it's taken me 3 hours of play to this point (I'll do this on Big $ tournaments>if I enter them).   Someone please shoot me.  Will I shoot a good score?  Absolutely.  Is it fun?  Honestly, HELL NO. 

Banging out an 18hole 50cr ReadyGo in 20-25 minutes is far more enjoyable, as is playing Stroke/Alt games with friends.  Besides, if I played every game like above I'd stop playing altogether (it's painful).

Just checked the leader board and dang nice round!! -- although I could imagine the pain to get there. Lol

Went through the same thing in the Legend event for that..finally settled to be 3 back of the lead at 59.

Will probably try to get close a few more times though.  

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 11:07 AM

PTrenter:

Yep I restarted over and over until I got off to that eagle start, I think it's needed to have a realistic chance.  

Definitely.  On Young's qualifying round on Youtube he commented that players are going Eagle, eagle.  Or is it Eagle, birdie Eagle...can' remember exactly.  But its Eagling that short par 4 where you drive over the hill and the green is below it too.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 2:29 PM

I would say that first hole should be an eagle almost more often than not with any kind of a TW.  It's throwing a shot away not to restart until you see a TW and take that eagle, IMO.

After that another 7 circles F9 or it's going to get hard, but also restarting and not playing the B9 until that happens can be a mistake.  

57 still might sneak it and 56 is looking confident.  55 is long since beer tent.

Most of us are trying to sneak it with what several can do, not seriously competing at the top. A -9 F9 (count #1 as an eagle anyway) means you need 7 circles B9 for a 56.  If you can get a F9 -10 (#1 eagle and rest circled) the B9 looks even better, and magic with 55s starts to come more into focus.

To have a chance you must have a good idea of landing yardages at least, and an eye to roll out.  My mapping is sub optimal as it was really aimed at a slightly different combo, but I know this club causes shorter as more spin etc...Not the best way, and I know it can cost me as I should know each time with a bit more certainty.  

Putting: IMO it's playing 70% for any decent ADP on the flat.  Some time spent getting that feel at #1 for all rolls by knocking it around will be time well spent.

None of that is aimed at elite players with precise sketching / everything else.  However, it will give an easily understood route to a good chance of qualification, IMO.  

Best of luck to anyone trying.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 3:25 PM

Jimbog1964:

Putting: IMO it's playing 70% for any decent ADP on the flat.  

Jim, could you elaborate a little bit please?  70% for any decent ADP?  Say whaaaa..?  Lol

..and thanks.  I've got a few more tries in me probably 1 more sleeve of the Lvl 90 Nikes and if it fails there that'll be it.  Maybe even wait a month and try again then.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 3:29 PM

darktone:
    I have never mapped out my clubs or played a practice round.

me neither and I don't think it's necessary. just keep rough numbers for your clubs in mind (100% and 95% full backspin, then go from there for everything in between). since you have so many holes that play longer or shorter than advertised I find it better to get a feel for every approach shot by experience. This way you might not be perfectly close to the pin, but you save yourself a lot of work and time. Personally I play my best rounds the faster I play and the less I think about the shots.

More to the subject of the thread though: I don't think you have any real chance of qualifying, because the cut line will be incredibly low. Don't get me wrong, but with your level/experience and especially equipment it just seems unlikely that you get a 55/56 on this tough course. So if you have fun playing erin hills keep plugging away, otherwise maybe spend your credits for the balls used elsewhere. good luck either way!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 3:44 PM

kavvz:

Jimbog1964:

Putting: IMO it's playing 70% for any decent ADP on the flat.  

Jim, could you elaborate a little bit please?  70% for any decent ADP?  Say whaaaa..?  Lol

..and thanks.  I've got a few more tries in me probably 1 more sleeve of the Lvl 90 Nikes and if it fails there that'll be it.  Maybe even wait a month and try again then.

OK this is showing you need on practise and get to know green roll.  10' out on the flat going firm 70% distance.  Plus or minus elevation after that.  Farther out inertia plays a part as once it gets underway you need less.  100' away you use 70 you will be way WAY past.

Below L97 equipment it's got to be a little harder for most.

Basically (IMO) best to know your landing yardages for approaches.  I do agree holes play different but if you know what your clubs organically do this can be taken note of.  It's a tricky enough putting track................Those basics will give a good chance though.

Basically it's playing pretty much bango champ 13 stimp.  70% of distance as a base (which means going firm works  for me).  

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 8:23 PM

birchi:

darktone:
    I have never mapped out my clubs or played a practice round.

me neither and I don't think it's necessary. just keep rough numbers for your clubs in mind (100% and 95% full backspin, then go from there for everything in between). since you have so many holes that play longer or shorter than advertised I find it better to get a feel for every approach shot by experience. This way you might not be perfectly close to the pin, but you save yourself a lot of work and time. Personally I play my best rounds the faster I play and the less I think about the shots.

More to the subject of the thread though: I don't think you have any real chance of qualifying, because the cut line will be incredibly low. Don't get me wrong, but with your level/experience and especially equipment it just seems unlikely that you get a 55/56 on this tough course. So if you have fun playing erin hills keep plugging away, otherwise maybe spend your credits for the balls used elsewhere. good luck either way!

I agree I could use better equipment and experience. I will keep trying to the bitter end. Lol. Do I have a real chance? Probably not unless I get that a very lucky round.   Someone else why I bother going on after -3 on the front- I guess I want to practice the back nine too. 

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 4:38 AM

I tried only starting when I had the tailwind and Eagle is had much more often. I think if I had more length off the drive I could make two other pars five in two with a little good wind. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 5:42 AM

darktone:

I tried only starting when I had the tailwind and Eagle is had much more often. I think if I had more length off the drive I could make two other pars five in two with a little good wind. 

Realistically, for most, that first one is an eagle with any decent driver..................rest of theholes not so much and you do not need to rely on them even if great when happens.

IMHO I stand by know your landing yardages being best.  If I had my landing yardages mapped better (current combo) and bothered to take meaningful notes of my stuff up rounds (for how holes play different) I could maybe shave something, but then putting etc when really getting to fine lines........................How some bang out x2 54s off the bat is beyond me or anything I care about to spend time on, BUT simple basics in prep has over and over shown v good results in my experience. 

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 6:42 AM

I must have birdied all the holes, just couldn't get them in one round.  It's out there though, just need to persevere.  I got a 56 eventually.

In the end I wouldn't continue unless I had eagled the 1st, and hit the turn at least at -8.  That gave me the breathing space of a max of 2 pars throughout the front 9.  The back nine would be hole by hole.  The long par 5 last isn't reachable in 2 so if not -12 thru 14 you aren't really gonna make 56 without holeing an approach.

I must have started this one about 100 times, got to hole 2 about 20 times and past the turn around 10 times.  Still only fully completed 3 rounds.  Would rather save the wasted ball hits than gain the extra XP.

RSS