Forums

Help › Forums

Any tips on playing US Open qualifier course?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 1 2017 1:01 PM (75 replies)
  • darktone
    151 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 4:17 PM

Lol!  I know that feeling! As long as I keep improving I am good. My putting seems to be getting better as I learn the aim and green speed. I played three complete rounds of -8 today and my putting has been 1.22- 1.38 per round. I am getting closer to the hole more consistently. I am really scared of being in the position to have the score going into the last hole and blowing it too. Lol. 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 4:37 PM

It's a daunting task and is one I'm not likely to spend many more balls on.  If you think about it there's not much room to make a par -- unless you can splash some eagles into the mix too.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 4:53 PM

darktone:
     I am really scared of being in the position to have the score going into the last hole and blowing it too. Lol. 

OMG, instant memory. Standing on the tee on 18 at CCC, last day of qualifying, all I have to do is par the hole to punch my ticket, last chance.  Amped up drive gets yanked into the left rough, chance gone.  Remember like it was yesterday.  LOL

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 4:58 PM

Jeeeeeez, don't think my monitor would have survived that.  Lol

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2017 3:29 AM

Restarting works some nasty, gnarly Scheiße on my karma, but with this thing set up with a reachable par 5 on the first, it seems if you don't begin with an eagle you are giving up a stroke on the field from the get-go.

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2017 8:43 AM

Yep I restarted over and over until I got off to that eagle start, I think it's needed to have a realistic chance.  

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2017 10:35 AM

I fealt like I was cheating if I started over like that. Lol. I keep going if I get a birdy too. If I am not to -3 by the end of the front nine I start over. 

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2017 4:38 PM

darktone:

I fealt like I was cheating if I started over like that. Lol. I keep going if I get a birdy too. If I am not to -3 by the end of the front nine I start over. 

I've restarted around 9x on the Congressional Virtual Championship until F9 score of -10.  $hit gets tedious as hell, especially since I'm using old notes (actual sketches of greens and dot's speed/break).  I'm also making new sketches! and notes as I go.  Taking 5-15 minutes a damn hole is killing my soul (seriously). 

I've finally finished 17 holes and saved yet again.  I think it's taken me 3 hours of play to this point (I'll do this on Big $$ tournaments>if I enter them).   Someone please shoot me.  Will I shoot a good score?  Absolutely.  Is it fun?  Honestly, HELL NO. 

Banging out an 18hole 50cr ReadyGo in 20-25 minutes is far more enjoyable, as is playing Stroke/Alt games with friends.  Besides, if I played every game like above I'd stop playing altogether (it's painful).

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 1:09 AM

11BC2:

darktone:

I've restarted around 9x on the Congressional Virtual Championship until F9 score of -10.  $hit gets tedious as hell, especially since I'm using old notes (actual sketches of greens and dot's speed/break).  I'm also making new sketches! and notes as I go.  Taking 5-15 minutes a damn hole is killing my soul (seriously). 

I've finally finished 17 holes and saved yet again.  I think it's taken me 3 hours of play to this point (I'll do this on Big $ tournaments>if I enter them).   Someone please shoot me.  Will I shoot a good score?  Absolutely.  Is it fun?  Honestly, HELL NO. 

Banging out an 18hole 50cr ReadyGo in 20-25 minutes is far more enjoyable, as is playing Stroke/Alt games with friends.  Besides, if I played every game like above I'd stop playing altogether (it's painful).

Hi Sean,

Have to agree with you re the AS games being fun especially when the standard is high & they go to the 5th extra hole, We didn't want It to end! ;)

Ken

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2017 7:54 AM

darktone:

-3 is your mark?  If you birdied the entire back 9 that would be a 60 and still wouldn't qualify.

I've gotta be -8 at least to continue.  Maybe -7 hoping to get tailwinds on the back par 5's and then birdie the rest.

If I make a bogie, that's a restart.

You gotta shoot 56! or better.

RSS