Forums

Help › Forums

Any tips on playing US Open qualifier course?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 1 2017 1:01 PM (75 replies)
  • darktone
    151 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 5:13 AM

Looking for anything that will gain me a shot. 😀

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 5:34 AM

Change the way you approach. You're probably pounding away with the same shots hoping for a better result each time. Try something different. This course puts emphasis on the mid to long iron play so look at your approaches and come up with a couple of ways to make each shot and then decide which one is best.

For instance, take an extra club, use back spin and cut the swing down when the wind is in your face. This really facilitates stopping the ball. Or, with wind help, don't try putting the brakes on with spin, try landing short and rolling up with some top spin. 

It's easy to fall into the restart trap and mindlessly flail away. Use your wits and get creative.  :-)

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 6:04 AM

Thanks Jim! I will try some new stuff. I have been averaging 8-10 yards to the pin at the end of the round. Under 5' putts I am doing great. 15+' and I don't make very many. I did find on the 14th hole par five you can make the green in two if you take the direct route. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 6:15 AM

Also, IMO:

Have you mapped your club ball combo properly in low winds?  If not go to Kiawah #1 low cross wind / first 3 holes BPB B9.............Set up a CC tourney BPB B9 low wind full length and champ greens (13 stimp)..  Play this until you confidently smash 30 by knowing every club yardage and knowing your green speed.  Stick to shots you trust and the more experience the more you have to trust.......GL

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 8:39 AM

Stop trying so hard . Just lay back take it easy and just play it like a normal round . That will take the stress off and makes you more relaxed . You know your way around the course so play and have fun its you against the course .

• Jresh0817
    1,414 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 9:39 AM

Try and shoot 26 to 27 on front and you will have great shot at 56 or better...you want to be -4 or -5 after first 3 holes..

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 9:48 AM

Thanks guys. I have never mapped out my clubs or played a practice round. I tried relaxing on a round and am am at -7 through 9. My best start so far. Birdied all but 7 and 9. I should have had a birdy on the par five 7th. Twice I started out -4 through 3. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 11:04 AM

darktone:
    I have never mapped out my clubs

This isn't as tedious as it sounds. The only real important thing you need to know is how far each club carries. To try and figure out exact distances is a waste of time, there's too many variables that affect total length. However, the only thing that affects carry is the wind and spin. If you learn what your clubs carry, you can then plan on what to expect when it lands.

For less than 1 sleeve of balls you can know this. BPB 11 and 12 are great fairways to hit long irons on. Set up a practice round so you get the mulligan feature and head out to a long fairway. Hit each iron 3-4 times and listen for the thump on landing while watching the distance. This is what you want to know.

Now go out to EH and as well as you know it by now, start looking at those spots where you want your next shot to be from. Learn where to land on the green to get the roll you want, not every shot can be a dart. This is where knowing the carry is going to pay off and you'll see that distance to pin drop. And we both know what that helps. :-)

• darktone
    151 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 11:08 AM

Thanks Jim. Good advice! It does sound tedious. Lol. I know I need to do this. Maybe I should shoot for making the cut next year. My last round ended up being -8 after that -7 front nine. 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 12:21 PM

I feel your pain Dark.  I just can't seal the deal.

Recently eagle'd 1, birdied 2 and holed out on 3.  Managed to birdie a few more on the front to score 28.  Should have been lower actually b/c I was close just missed the damn putts.  

Onto the back, birdied 10, 11, 12 & 13 in a row and was thinking THIS is the round!  Well, no such luck didn't make another birdie and actually bogey'd the last for a 61. Bogey'd a par 5 was so pissed after that - almost broke my monitor.  Lol

Once I settled down I realized the 59 for birdie'ing / 60 for par'ing the last still wouldn't have been good enough and my computer lived to fight another day! :)

RSS