Forums

Help › Forums

Equipment advice

Sun, Sep 23 2018 5:15 AM (89 replies)
  • whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Wed, Jun 28 2017 5:05 PM

Hi Jeff

Just ran off for a look, the top fusion is locked here but got this.

The trajectory would be a big factor I feel. The top BB (97?) is the same and doesn't perform nearly as well. (or maybe my buddy with it just gets very nervous)   : ))

In terms of meter speed, I don't know the spec. of your Nikes, it's another one that's going to come down to personal preference I think.

Cheers!

Rich

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Jun 28 2017 6:11 PM

Rich, 

Nike's are 4.0 meter speed.  Other than that, the specs are the same as the same level Cally Fusions. I have hit a few shots that were spot on with my top level Nike and they stopped as well as the BB did.

I freely admit that part of my problem is my swing timing, which I've been fighting for a while.  Just part of being a dinosaur, lol.

Jeff

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 1:00 PM

JohanTV:

Thanks Jef and Rich,

I rented both drivers today and tried them during the day (the renting period just ended).

I indeed tested them mainly on the best of par 5 with no driver in the bag. The mulligan is something I dont know how to do, so that I didn't use.

After a day trying them I'm still not sure what to do.

The L89 BB is as unforgiving as the say, but also the L86 Fusion is pretty unforgiving if not dinging  (I wouldn't rate it forgiveness 4).

What I don't like with the both of them is the shrinking meter area which is pretty small and probably takes some time to get used to.

The meterspeed of the Fusion is slower than the BB but as all my clubs have meterspeeds of 3/3.5 I misding/ding the slower Fusion as often as the BB.

Finally the BB seems more precise than the Fusion and has a little more distance.

So I have to give it some thoughts as my current L30 is very forgiving and does the job, just 15+ yrds less far. Do I really need that extra yards since the wood is not used that often with my I3 going 220. Should I spend the money on some other equipment which will benefit me better at this stage. Anyway, lots to think about.

Thanks again guys for your feedback.

@Rich, crazy shot. That flagstick must be broken!

Hi Johan

Some interesting thoughts there. Bertha can be  is unforgiving, if you miss the ding. Ding it, no problems. It's just the normal ding line there, with the Fuzzy one there is a moving green area, or something odd, if I remember correctly. I also had trouble with the meter speed, almost waiting for it, resulting in a lot of strange, mis timed efforts.

Do you really need those extra yds? Ah! I was told, more than once and by different people, untill you reach Legend you don't really need a 3wd in your bag. I wasn't convinced, but I would have done just fine up to that point without one. I may have used it once or twice up to that point but stand on the back tees, 25mph headwind and wonder if you'll make the fairway. That's when you learn how to throw a 3wd at the problem, and you'll need one you can ding, and feel comfortable with. 

If it aint broke, don't fix it. I would be tempted to stay with what you have, try others on free  rental days, who knows what might be coming? When you do get to face that problem, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

The bomb at Chambers Bay, hmm. It must have blown the thing to pieces! It happened in an alt shot game and, despite my partners best efforts, we lost the hole! I had a look in there yesterday, it looks like it's a foot deeper now : ))

Cheers!

Rich

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 1:54 PM

I also just rented the L84 R15. Had to try these too as it has the same meterspeed as my speedblade irons and also from Taylormade. (I read Jef compared these with the L81 pings).Till now again a small meter area, but a bit more forgiving as the BB. If anyone compared these with the BB or Fusion I am glad to hear your opionion.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 3:22 PM

Johan,

No problem.  An inexpensive alternative that I used for quite a while would be the L81 Ping G25 3W.  It's rated for 240 yards, and costs 745 credits.  It has  3.5 meter speed, and has 4.0 precision and 3.0 forgiveness.   Some people don't think it's a "prestige" club, but I found the PIng fairway woods  worked well, for me.

You can use the Mulligan feature when playing stroke practice rounds.  It's located in the upper right.  However it charges 2 hits on a ball.  

I would do it by playing each shot with each club.  Hit a tee shot, record the carry and roll, and how close to the ding I was.  Click Mulligan button, and hit another tee shot with the other club and record everything again.

Then play the 2nd shot with each club recording the same info.

Good Luck Mate,

Jeff

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sat, Jul 1 2017 2:42 AM

After renting the L89 BIg Bertha and the L86 Fusion, I also rented the L84 R15 and the L81 Ping.

I decided to go for the Ping L81 Wood.

Dinging naar the small center was ok for me with the Ping as I am used to my 3.0 meterspeed on the speedblade irons (the strange thing is that I tried the L81 Ping driver before and didnt like that meter, so at first I ruled out the L81 Ping wood).

Distance of the Ping is a few yards less than the other alternatives but the dinging with reasonable forgiveness is the best way to go for me at this stage.

I gain 13 yards on my current L30 R11 wood and 240 yrds is a good distance after my 3 iron of 220 yrds.

A bonus is that the Ping is the cheapest one.

Thanks again for all your advice. It helped a lot.

Johan

• player987654
    28 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2017 10:47 PM

JohanTV:

The L89 BB is as unforgiving as they say, but also the L86 Fusion is pretty unforgiving if not dinging  (I wouldn't rate it forgiveness 4).

What I don't like with the both of them is the shrinking meter area which is pretty small and probably takes some time to get used to.

So do all the top level 3 woods have this tiny, shrinking meter area? I notice it on my L51 Nike Vapor Fly Pro, and am wondering if that can be avoided in the top level 3 woods.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2017 4:51 AM

I rented the L89 BB, the L86 fusion, the L84 R15 and the L81 Ping 3 Wood.

All of these woods have small meter areas which is more difficult to ding as other clubs.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2017 12:31 PM

I'm pretty sure they all have it.  That's where forgiveness and finding a meter speed that will allow you to be as close to the ding as possible comes into play.

• player987654
    28 Posts
    Tue, Jul 4 2017 1:22 PM

phred952:

I'm pretty sure they all have it.  That's where forgiveness and finding a meter speed that will allow you to be as close to the ding as possible comes into play.

Ok thanks.

It's kinda backwards from real life, where you'd expect a more easy-to-hit nature from your 3W than driver. 

RSS