Forums

Help › Forums

Equipment advice

Sun, Sep 23 2018 5:15 AM (89 replies)
  • JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Wed, May 3 2017 2:43 PM

I need some advice on how to progress by adding equipment. I am playing a lot (not very good but slowly getting there) and currently at level 81. I am thinking of making some purchases soon. I can wait till, lets say level 85 before I make a purchase. I'm thinking of buying for around 4000, but if needed perhaps more.

I'm getting used to the meterspeed of my speedblades (L75, speed 3) but still missng the ding too often. Some forgiveness would be appreciated when buying new clubs.

TMO I need a big driver (280/282 yrd), a 64 wedge and perhaps another putter.but I am open to other ideas.

- Driver: Still using a WGT pro driver. I probably want to spend some 2500 for a new one.
    There are some 5/7 to choose from around that distance so which one is the best to buy (pros/cons). A lot of new drivers are there and I can't judge them on the 5 reviews that are there.

- 64 wedge. I have the Ping tour w 54 (L60 / 105 yrd) and w 60 (L60 / 85 yrd). For the short stuff I am thinking of buying the ATV 64 (L39 / 50 yrd) but probably the gap between 85 & 50 yrd will be to big. I tried the CG16 64 (L8) but missed some precision like the pings (could be that 2 hours rental is too short).
    Probably want to spend around 750.

-  Putter: Lots of time I'm pretty close with my spider L19 but missing a lot by a few inches
    Probabably want to spend around 1000. Thinking of the ghost (L66) or Daytone/Rossa (L55). Meter increment with 10, 20 and 50 seems more logical so perhaps pay a little more for the red spider (L77)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Johan

• player987654
    28 Posts
    Wed, May 3 2017 5:43 PM

Hey Johan. I was in a similar situation not long ago.

I highly recommend the level 85 irons. From your current Blades they are a small but noticeable step forward, and they will help with the consistency you are missing out on (speed 4.2 and 3.0 forgiveness). The general ball flight/dynamics is great.

For drivers, you should consider the L85 Cally (282 yds @4.2 meter). There really are a lot of options as you stated, and if you wan the slightly cheaper club then there is the L88 Cally; just bear in mind this one has higher trajectory and a little less control.

Concerning wedges, there really isn't a whole lot in the 750 credit range. At 895 there is the max spin, and at 995 the mid tier Clevelands. The L31 64 degree Cleveland goes 60 yds, while Max Spin has a 75 and 60 yarder. I would say the Cleves are worth the extra 100 credits as they are quite well rounded; slightly better meter and forgiveness are of more use than 5 dots of spin which is rarely needed from 70 yds out.

As for putters, I too have used the L19, and I am not sure which of the high end putters suits me best. I just tried the L86, and it was good, but I think I prefer the feel of the L77.

Of course, you can determine what you need to improve your game better than I can.

Cheers.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, May 3 2017 10:02 PM

AFAIS, you are a TP who every now and then breaks 34 to drop your average to the threshold of 67 - rather sooner than later you will be promoted to Master and to further tees.

JohanTV:
    TMO I need a big driver (280/282 yrd), a 64 wedge and perhaps another putter.but I am open to other ideas.

True, in the order of wedge, driver, perhaps(!) putter.

Your current wedges should be of good quality, alas oddly spaced. Add the punch lenghts to the list and look if a 50 yds wedge (always ATV) or a 60 yds wedge fit better to the low end. Don't go below the L28(?) Cleves though.

A comfy driver may be the L83 Ping but there are other choices  available.

Your putter should serve you well for a while, so you may save credits to consider a top model. Nike is gone (dammit!) so I can't propose one.

Other volunteers?

• Vandwemke
    296 Posts
    Wed, May 3 2017 11:00 PM

I believe (and what works for me) was to, as best as possible, matching meter speeds to my clubs and ball selection. Meter speed number trumping distance, spin etc. The only club that I did not worry about meter speed matching was my putter.

I have found an improvement in ball striking consistency due to a consistent meter speed. 

Having (meter speeds of) a 5 driver, 3 irons and O wedges and 1 balls messes with your reaction. At master, I think you need a long driver. 3w, hybrids and irons you can get away with for now but, ball, wedges (if you want to work the ball) and putter are also important.

Good luck. 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, May 3 2017 11:00 PM

re: putter

I'd likely go for the Rossa L55, cheap and I would love it for off-ding, too.

Results vary.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Wed, May 3 2017 11:11 PM

Thanks for the responses

1) @allosso

the Ping 60 (L60) has the following specs:

- full 85 (80% 68 yrd, 75% 59 yrd)

- punch 71 (80% 50 yrd)

2) I agree that same meterspeed for all clubs is more consistent. fogiveness I think must be at least 3.

3) I'm not an off dinger. Always trying to ding in the center.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, May 4 2017 7:10 AM

alosso is correct that the Ping L83 driver would be a good value, @ 1845 credits.  It is a high trajectory driver..  While I never tried it, I used the Ping L59 full set as a Master and a Tour Master until I could buy the TM SLDR in white @ L79.  The next closest available driver to you would be the Cally L72 X2 Hot @ 2495 credits, and it is a med/high trajectory.   

At L83 is Cally the BB Alpha 815 @ 2695 credits.  At L85 the Cally Fusion for 2595 credits.  By specs, the only difference is the meter speed.  So you might want to consider where you plan to go eventually as far as meter speed for all your clubs.  However, be aware that there is some variation between different clubs with the same rated meter speed.

FWIW, I eventually also bought the Ping L81 3W after comparing it to the Cally L73 X2 Hot 3W by playing 18 hole Par 5 rounds during a free rental weekend, using the mulligan feature and no driver.  They played within 1 yard average distance for both driving and fairway shots.  And it was about 1/2 the cost.  My point being that I found the Ping clubs to be a very good value for the money,and the precision was better than the specs show.  Or I was more accurate on the ding with a slower meter.

You may want to consider replacing all your wedges when better ones are available. like the top line Clevelands.  If so, then a L39 ATV 64 degree wedge would be the best way to go.  It will give you a 50 yd wedge (about 42 yds for a punch).  I used those level wedges until i could but the top line clevelands.

You could buy the Ping driver and the ATV wedge for  2340 credits, less than the X2 Hot driver.  Lots to think about.

Good Luck

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Thu, May 4 2017 10:28 AM

Thanks guys,

Buying a new set of irons is currently not the plan, how great those L85 irons seem. For now I'll stick to the L75 speedblades which are very precise (If hitting the ding).

For the putter I'll probably continue with my current Spider (L19) for a while.

From the drivers I tried (2 hrs free rent) the 4 between 70 & 81. The X2 Hot (L72), the M1 (L74), the SLDR (L79) and the Ping (L81). As I remember I liked the X2 the best and shortly hereafter the Ping. Looking at (older) reviews others liked the SLDR the best. So I really still looking for cons and pro's of the drivers till 85. Pricewise I should probably go for the Ping but I'm doubting since the price difference is that big with the others so there must be a catch (or not?).

For the wedges I'm now thinking of buying the Cleveland 64 degree (L80) since most topplayers are using this one. The alternative is the cheap ATV 64 (L39) for 50 yrds which will be an improvement of my gear till i'm willing to pay the extra bucks. I'm however still not sure if the gap between the Ping 85yrd and the ATV 50 yrds is not too big.

Anyway strange that in a computergame paying an extra $ 10 seems a lot while in fact it's nothing when playing the game daily. Lol.

If anyone has further advice for drivers or wedges I like to hear.

thanks again for all the input so far.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, May 5 2017 2:27 AM

If you can afford to buy the L80 Cleveland, you won;t regret it.  It is vastly superior to the L39 ATV.  However, you originally talked about spending about 1/2 (or less) what the Cleveland's cost..  

Play a practice round or something unimportant at first on each course while you learn the club.  It has so much backspin it will make the starter ball back up.  On a green with a slight down slope from the pin to the front of the green you can make a ball like a Cally L33 back up all the way off the green with 0 spin, or even 1/2 top spin.  There is a learning curve, but it's worth spending the time to do so.

Be aware that once you use it for a bit, you will probably want to get the 56 and 60 degree wedges also.  The gap from 50 yds to 85 yds is bigger than you would prefer..  You could overcome that by mapping the 60 degree Ping for Punch shots, since you mentioned that it punches 71 yds.

Reviews are very funny. Those for the SLDR in white (L79) are very different than those for the SLDR in Black .(L89)  Yet they have the same specs.  I included my experience with the Ping 3W to show that sometimes the difference in price doesn't equal that much better performance.  In the end it will be what you feel you play your best with.

Good Luck

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Fri, May 5 2017 6:08 AM

JohanTV:
    Buying a new set of irons is currently not the plan,

You don't need to. Speedblades are excellent. I'd suggest L80 wedge too. I'd say wait till u get to Master and see the option for driver. For putter, L35 Spider and L55 Rossa are good budget options.

RSS