Mon, Jul 3 2017 4:15 AM (26 replies)
  • bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Apr 26 2017 7:12 AM

Truth simply put.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Apr 26 2017 8:40 AM

I dont know about that one bubbs . Even though Top Golf is the new owner WGT is still being run by the original WGT staff . So other than ownership nothing else has changed . I really havent done a full run through since the updates but after seeing the release notes I will say however that once again WGT has screwed the pooch .

The new after dark avatar is a worthless joke and both the designer and approver should be fired . Who is going to spend 800 credits for an avatar that looks like a waiter from the club house ? Its sad that this is the best that the company can do to improve the game . Then add to the fact that they lost Oakmont of all courses . But yet we still have both Cabo and Whistler both of which are meaningless courses.

WGT should have thrown both of them under the bus in order to save the Oakmont course . After all can we even use Cabo or Whistler in cc tournaments? Do players even play them and if so which courses get the most play my money would be on Oakmont . In my going on 6 years of play the only time that I have ever played Cabo and Whistler was when WGT hosted them for free to nation members but none since then .

WGT is going to wear this debacle like a cheap suit but it wont matter . Because no matter how many times they miss the mark they still wont care . They never have cared and never will and our complaining as customers will again fall on deaf ears . 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Apr 26 2017 8:50 AM

Since the WGT by TOPGOLF times Lonnie i really do feel we have been inundated with cheap gimmicky crap, yeah we used to get it before, but seems to be more now.

Then we lose a course.

Is it the same staff, they moved offices.....upgrade/downgrade, who knows.

You maybe right, but i dont see it mate.

As per courses, i would say Oakmont would be in the top 3 used in serious country clubs, i aint having a go at other clubs when i say that, but there will be a lot using Andies/Beth and from those tees ;-)

Cabo/Whistler.......i aint played them for about 2 years personally, found Cabo ok but Whistler, no chance.

Yet given a chance to play either in real life then give me Whistler any day.......those wooded mountains look class.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 26 2017 8:58 AM

lonniescott711:
    The new after dark avatar is a worthless joke and both the designer and approver should be fired

I think they were inspired by McDonald's latest move with the uniforms.  :-D

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Wed, Apr 26 2017 7:03 PM

Oakmont was a pretty course but other than that I couldn't stand it.  Played it less than 5 times stroke/Ready Go in my life.  Only time I'd actually play it was in ALT (avoided when I could).  The yardages always "floated" on that course making it near impossible to hit consistent shots.

In the past I've played Cabo tons of times, especially with friends in stroke play (it's one of my friends favorite courses*Jake!*).  Whistler is easily the most beautiful course offered on the site and makes for amazing Ready Go's (especially with Stimp 14/15!).

I'm not thrilled about Erin Hills though.  Courses I'd love to see removed and replaced would be St. Andrews (ugly), Chambers Bay (ugly), and Royal St. Georges (ugliest of them all).

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Apr 26 2017 7:43 PM

11BC2:

Oakmont was a pretty course but other than that I couldn't stand it.  Played it less than 5 times stroke/Ready Go in my life.  Only time I'd actually play it was in ALT (avoided when I could).  The yardages always "floated" on that course making it near impossible to hit consistent shots.

In the past I've played Cabo tons of times, especially with friends in stroke play (it's one of my friends favorite courses*Jake!*).  Whistler is easily the most beautiful course offered on the site and makes for amazing Ready Go's (especially with Stimp 14/15!).

I'm not thrilled about Erin Hills though.  Courses I'd love to see removed and replaced would be St. Andrews (ugly), Chambers Bay (ugly), and Royal St. Georges (ugliest of them all).

Clearly you have no love for anything links.

Oakmont was an amazing course. You had to play it a lot in order to understand how the yardages worked and such. Saying you only played it a handfull of times and yardages are "floated" is a joke. Some of us play the same courses hundreds of times in order to hit the right shots.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 1:35 AM

devonnnnn:
    Saying you only played it a handfull of times and yardages are "floated" is a joke.
    The joke was the yardages floated which meant a "buggy" course.  If I'm hitting a shot from exactly the same spot in the fairway, with the same spin, same wind - Same Everything, I shouldn't be getting 15y yard variations (165club) in distance.  This happened with almost every hole on that course.

But thankfully we don't need to worry about that anymore.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 4:41 AM

devonnnnn:
    Some of us play the same courses hundreds of times in order to hit the right shots.

And some of us play the same courses hundreds of times and still can't hit the right shots. No notes and lots of tokes, every day's a new challenge!

----------------------------------------------------------

My take on TG is that they are trying to maximise customer spend, while concentrating mainly on the mobile platform.

The browser game has remained the same at heart and has been very very stable with very few disconnections or game glitches.

However, the removal of Oakmont is a huge loss and a very worrying development. What does this mean for all the other US Open courses? Will they disappear at the end of some contractual period of time? 

We have never really been given any info from TG about their plans for the WGT game. After this weeks events I now find the silence ominous and menacing...

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 5:25 AM

I agree Paul.  

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 6:55 AM

Top Golf explained their intentions in their press release announcing the acquisition of WGT in a press release of January 17, 2016.

From https://topgolf.com/us/company/press-room/press-releases/2015/topgolf-acquires-world-golf-tour-launches-new-media-and-international-divisions-plus-holding-company/

"Topgolf will further engage guests through in-venue experiences, app enhancements, compelling digital content and the emergence of a global golf entertainment community. WGT fans will not only be able to play the existing games they love, but they will also be able to play Topgolf virtually with new games featuring the signature dartboard-like outfield."

As they complete the gradual conversion of WGT to a typical online arcade game don't expect any quality improvements in the golf simulation experience here. I think the acquisition was a lot more about bringing WGT's technology to the driving ranges and buying the patents.

RSS