skip nav

Forums

Cheaters kicked out?

Sun, Mar 24 2019 1:16 PM by DoctorLarry. 238 replies.
  • DodgyPutter United Kingdom
    3,237 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 10:42 AM

and sorry too about the formatting :-(  The bit about... the below is part of the patent all of which can easily be found through the search box... got completely lost.

Digg
    Delicious
  • DodgyPutter United Kingdom
    3,237 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 10:42 AM

:-(

Digg
    Delicious
  • overtheedge United States
    5,781 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 10:45 AM

WGTChampion:
    Well of course we can change how the game works, the balance of a club, or just remove it all together. Every game that's been created since the ability to update via the internet can technically remove an item, or change the balance of the whole thing. Technically VEM could have the ability to screw up everything, but that's not what it's programmed to do. 

This statement right here. Not good.

quote: Well of course we can change how the game works, 

Second:  the balance of a club,

Who are you or ANYBODY else for that matter to say that this kind of VEM "doesn't happen" to individuals randomly or not. All of us on this side of the game - just players - after a statement like this we will NEVER know the full truth on how VEM is used, emphasis on full truth.

Digg
    Delicious
  • WGTChampion United States
    1,352 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 11:50 AM

DodgyPutter:

The vem patent can easily be found using the search box but here is a small part of it.

Sorry if I'm getting you wrong but are you saying the part where it decreases the sweet spot (or forgiveness or whatever) is turned off but where it increases the sweet spot is on?
    Another surprising suggestion in your post is shoot a load of bad scores and the game will help you.  Surely that's open to manipulation, hit a starter ball all over the place for a few rounds and then play your VT round for example.
    Thanks for trying to help, I do appreciate it,  and sorry if I'm being a pain.

No pain. It's a valid question. While technically you could do that, the bonuses of VEM are dynamic. So it might give you a bonus in your initial holes of a game or tournament, but even at that the bonuses wouldn't be enough to carry you through. Player skill will always win the game. It's a small boost and it's certainly not going to hit the ding for you. 

_CHAMPION 

Digg
    Delicious
  • carlosdev India
    1,267 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 11:53 AM

My speed boost is not working anymore ... :( I bought it 1 day before... it shows 0 hits left even though I never used it @champ

- Carl

Digg
    Delicious
  • Jimbog1964 Guernsey
    8,338 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 12:18 PM

WGTChampion:

No pain. It's a valid question. While technically you could do that, the bonuses of VEM are dynamic. So it might give you a bonus in your initial holes of a game or tournament, but even at that the bonuses wouldn't be enough to carry you through. Player skill will always win the game. It's a small boost and it's certainly not going to hit the ding for you. 

_CHAMPION 

I think WGT have commonly accepted the WTF exists (once in every great while and likely on a miss anyway). Maybe an RNG thing............

But basically, I play several holes well in say a RG (when I do again as have in low level ones) and then tragically miss an approach wrong side of wind the VEM will never hoof me mercilessly (not all the time is fully accepted).

EDIT: Or say have a few good ones and VEM stirs up the precision RNG to just make things that little bit tougher - Not saying I have an issue at all.

Digg
    Delicious
  • DoctorLarry United States
    1,579 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 1:17 PM

Gotta LOL at all the handwringing about VEM and RNG and paranoia.

There is one thing in human nature that I cannot prove but would bet a whole lot on it being true:

In a game like this, we remember and cuss the things that happen that turn out worse than we expected and mostly forget the ones where a ball goes in the hole when we did not hit it at all like we intended.  Or when the ball is rightfully headed for the water but catches on the lip of some rough that stops it.  Those things happen and we say "Oh NO NO NO.........oh, thank you!!" (or worse!)  And then we promptly forget it when we go to the next hole or the forum!!

It's a game and it is not offering perfection.  Thank goodness!

Digg
    Delicious
  • WGTChampion United States
    1,352 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 2:11 PM

overtheedge:

WGTChampion:
    Well of course we can change how the game works, the balance of a club, or just remove it all together. Every game that's been created since the ability to update via the internet can technically remove an item, or change the balance of the whole thing. Technically VEM could have the ability to screw up everything, but that's not what it's programmed to do. 

This statement right here. Not good.

quote: Well of course we can change how the game works, 

Second:  the balance of a club,

Who are you or ANYBODY else for that matter to say that this kind of VEM "doesn't happen" to individuals randomly or not. All of us on this side of the game - just players - after a statement like this we will NEVER know the full truth on how VEM is used, emphasis on full truth.

Literally every game in existence can change everything about how their game works. Since I've worked here I have never seen an item get a re-balance or change after it launches. We've never tweaked greens or physics or anything. 

_CHAMPION 

Digg
    Delicious
  • el3n1 United States
    2,335 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 2:13 PM

how many rounds would you like me to reference #doctorlarry... I can identify rounds in my recent history and past that felt like the game was helping me...  I even saved a lucky putt from a round I just played today because I was truly hoping to just lag it close but it fell in... that was lucky and possibly an example of good vem.  

but I can also identify rounds where the game appeared to play exceedingly difficult, and putts didn't seem to fall. You will easily find a dismal 36 on Merion back 9 in a ready go where it was one of the ugliest rounds I could remember but refused to WD.  I decided I was going to grind it out regardless.

Not everyone only laments the bad, I know I have thanked the WGT software golfing gods for the gift of a great round because those rounds and scores are well below what I can normally be expected to shoot... so I have to credit something like good vem helping me... but it is why I also began to believe something like vem has to exist... how can what I am doing work one day and be so off another?  but some days I get the breaks and other days I don't...

I am always grateful for WGT gifts when they occur and I have even blogged about it sometimes.  Pinehurst, Wolf Creek, Chambers Bay (since removed), and of course a rather pleasant round just today that included the putt above...

Maybe we only listen or pay attention to the people that complain the most because they tend to be the loudest or most vocal... guess that is where "misery loves company" saying comes from... but fortunately there are good things going on as well and great rounds being played.   

But, I also won't be surprised now that I had a good round recently... the game swings back in the other direction where I have to struggle for a bit... until the next gift can be opened.  : )

Digg
    Delicious
  • TopShelf2010 United States
    8,273 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 2:44 PM

el3n1:
    But, I also won't be surprised now that I had a good round recently... the game swings back in the other direction where I have to struggle for a bit... until the next gift can be opened.  : )

Spot on I'm afraid.

I knew when I shot a 59 in last week's 18 Hole Single Play at Merion I would be doomed this week. 

LMAO

Don

Digg
    Delicious
RSS