Forums

Help › Forums

Need advice on balls

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 20 2017 8:34 PM (3 replies)
  • msejnoha
    63 Posts
    Wed, Apr 19 2017 8:26 PM

I recently mapped my clubs using info I found here that said to map with the free ball. So I did that and it was a colossal waste of time, as it in no way equates to using a good ball. So I'm looking for some ball advice to remap.  I've read conflicting info regarding balls. I read one thread that suggested not using a ball of a higher level than your clubs. Then I read another suggesting using the highest level ball available. I currently use the level 48 Nike 20XI-X but I'm thinking about upgrading to the level 71 20XI-X. With the way I've been playing lately, I probably could just as well use the free ball. I also haven't yet decided if I'm going to stick with the level 68 M2 irons or go back to the level 32 R11 irons. The R11s have been much easier to play (for me, anyway). The M2s are less forgiving, and that has been a real problem so far. Obviously I'm going to have to figure that out before I map, but I'd like to get settled on a ball and play a few rounds with both sets of irons before I decide on a set. 

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Apr 20 2017 9:38 AM

Picking a good ball can at times be a pain  but some of the advice was true . You wont get the full benefit  of play if you are using a top ball with lower level clubs . For example trying to use a nike ball with starter clubs would be a waste of time as well as credits . The better the clubs the better play results due to the precision and forgiveness of the clubs .

Depending on your level of play will also depend on the ball type and the same goes for clubs too . As you tier up and upgrade your clubs you do so for which reasons ? Do you simply want to play better or do you want to play in the monhtly events and at the same time for the credit paying events also .

If you want to play with the big dogs then you will need top gear in order to hold your own against them . If you plan on just being a casual player and just play for fun then no need to go over the top with your gear . With the current clubs you have you should be able to shoot a good solid round with either ;

Tour SD 

Srixon 11 or 13

Cally L33+

With the clubs you have the nike ball to me wouldnt be a good fit so you may want to consider stepping down some with a more conservative ball . Make your ball purchases cost effective and not just a waste of credits .

Once you decide on which clubs you are going to play then yes also pick you a good ball . Once you have chosen the ball you want to play then get it and stick with it . Map it learn it and stick with it and let that be your only ball . Be in mind though every time you upgrade your clubs it will also be back to the drawing board and remapping .

Until you reach the tips you wont need very expensive balls but once you reach Legend tier then the faster greens will require you to go in that direction . Now that you mapped your clubs with the free ball that will come in handy down the road at least for a little . Just in case you run out of your main ball type you will know how your clubs will play when using the rock . Hope this helps and good luck with your game .

• Slammer23
    420 Posts
    Thu, Apr 20 2017 11:35 AM

I agree on getting better clubs. Would you rather buy more spin, for example, in a ball that wears out/gets lost, or in a club that is good forever? 

I'm not a top player, just an average legend, but very capable of shooting low 60s and even upper 50s on occasion. And all with the 65-credit Tour SD. (OK, I am now splurging on the 70-credit green ones, just because.) I have tried all the best balls and just don't see a big enough advantage to make me spend actual recurring $$ on this game. I have occasionally spent $ on clubs since it seems counterproductive to spend all my WGT time doing surveys.

You can almost support a Tour SD habit on the carousel alone. Almost, but not quite. I can make 1000 purchased credits last a year, though, with the carousel earnings and the random 1-credit videos added to it.

• msejnoha
    63 Posts
    Thu, Apr 20 2017 8:34 PM

The goal of my game is to be as good as I possibly can be. I do play pretty much all of the free tournaments. I figure they're good for practice and on the off chance I have a good round, it doesn't hurt to get a few credits out of it. I do also play a ready-go once in a while, but not as much as when I was a Tour Pro.  

I own both sets of the irons I listed above. I've been having trouble getting used to the M2s, but I'm going to stick with them. I'm just starting to get used to them. I'm afraid the R11s are just too short to be competitive at the Master tier. I have no problem upgrading clubs, I just don't see anything worth upgrading to until I get to the 90s level. 

As for balls, I know I can't go back to a meter speed of less than 3.  I used the Callaway level 33 until I got to level 48. I then started using the Nike I'm currently using. I get the appeal of using a cheaper ball, and would love to do it. But I have a hard to getting a ding with the 48 Nikes. I don't know if I just suck, or if it's because I play on mobile, but getting a ding is tough for me. I was playing on my older Android tablet, and it was really lacking in memory so the swing meter was pretty herky-jerky. So I bought an iPad Pro to use solely for WGT. That has helped, but it's still tough.

As far as credits go, if you guys have a tablet you should really install the mobile app just for the free credit videos.  You get 2 credits per video and they run from 15-30 seconds each. I've earned thousands of credits from those since I joined just 4 months ago. I usually do the videos while I'm watching tv or getting ready for work. That way it isn't wasting time I could be golfing.

RSS