Forums

Help › Forums

How to shoot Low

Tue, May 12 2020 11:05 PM (38 replies)
  • SwingerCyr
    8 Posts
    Sat, Apr 15 2017 9:04 PM

Started playing about a month ago, & seeing that it is difficult to shoot a low score even with the best equipment, I just made it up to Pro & have been playing brackets noticed that most of us are shooting in the 80"s but then you get one or two guys that shoot in the 60's .

How can they be sooo much better than the rest of us?

What am i missing?

• gonfission
    2,227 Posts
    Sun, Apr 16 2017 4:46 PM

your 2nd, 3rd & 4th accounts

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Sun, Apr 16 2017 5:03 PM

^^^ LOL.

Doc :)

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Sun, Apr 16 2017 5:37 PM

First you have to learn how to play the game . Then its upgrade after upgrade of your clubs . Then you have to learn how to play the game again . Then you also have to cheat along the way . Stop playing for credits because at your tier its nothing but the suckers pool . Sad to say there are players who have multiple bogus accounts playing against you .

Those real low scores belong to players who have made Legend tier and above a few times . Once they reach Legend then they restart a new account and the prey on the newer low tier players like yourself . Never play for credits until you reach Legend tier then never play below Legend tier for credits if you want an honest game .

You have a good ways to go to get the top gear . The clubs at your level are far from the best even though they seem that way to you . In spite of the cheaters and other reprrobates you can have fun playing this game . Also you can and will make friends with some great people here as well . The game is just like the real world you have to take the good with the bad , but the good will always out weigh the bad .

So welcome to the game and hope that you have fun and enjoy yourself for as long as you play . You will find that here in the forums is a great place to hang out and meet and make friends . The gang for the most part will help you every way they can  to advise and teach you how to play better all you have to do is ask .

Again welcome to the game play well and have fun . :-)

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Apr 17 2017 7:33 AM

While I agree that there are some multi-account players taking advantage of others in tournaments, I believe the number is overblown. I also agree that you should not play in credit events other than the free tournaments provided by WGT until you are a legend or beyond.

What I do know is that there are players with a lot of skills who arrive at WGT and put those skills to use. But for all of us, even the great players, it is practice and study. I know players who make copious notes about the various fairways and greens. They play hours and hours every day. Think of a professional on a PGA course, who along with his caddy, study notebooks prior to every shot. There are people like that here on WGT.  What we all have in common is that same starting point using starter equipment. For some progress is quick and for others ever so slow, perhaps years to get to legend and beyond. Only you can decide how important it is to have a low average and how much time and effort to put toward whatever goal you set. There are no shortcuts.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, Apr 17 2017 12:05 PM

I notice you do not play multi-player games, such as Alt Shot where you can hone your skills without blowing up your average, and learn from others how to play strategically on tough holes. 

- get the best wedges for your level- these are scoring clubs; learn how they perform on flops, chips, pitches and partial shots, esp learn punch shot distances-less affected by wind and can hole out

-learn distance control by "charting" your clubs, especially irons, as to distance with no spin, and full backspin- I use KIawah hole 1 with low wind practice mode because it is flat-then use mulligan to rehit over and over

-use the best ball for your level.-and chart with that ball

-learn how to read wind- your 25 feet to hole avg distance will dramatically improve

-learn putting distance, how to read breaks, and your 1 putt stats will dramatically improve

AS they say, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?= practice. Good luck!

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, Apr 17 2017 9:19 PM

SwingerCyr:

What am i missing?

Practice. Practice. Practice. 

HackWilson1930:

Only you can decide how important it is to have a low average and how much time and effort to put toward whatever goal you set. There are no shortcuts.

Hack nailed it. I had a little success, shooting some rounds in the 60's and even a 58 at St Andrews very early on. However, it was winter. I had no life. And I was averaging about 105 holes of golf a day. I also read every tip I could find in the forums. I learned how to find the good advice, and how to recognize the bovine ***. I still have a lot to improve on, and I am constantly trying to learn new things, but that is how I shot decent scores early on.

Also, when you pay to play for credits, you can expect to play against those that know what they are doing. I only made that mistake once. 

It's a fun game no matter how you choose to enjoy it, but if you want to be good...

lonniescott711:

First you have to learn how to play the game . 

Happy playing.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, Apr 19 2017 10:29 AM

lonniescott711:

First you have to learn how to play the game . Then its upgrade after upgrade of your clubs . Then you have to learn how to play the game again . Then you also have to cheat along the way . Stop playing for credits because at your tier its nothing but the suckers pool . Sad to say there are players who have multiple bogus accounts playing against you .

Those real low scores belong to players who have made Legend tier and above a few times . Once they reach Legend then they restart a new account and the prey on the newer low tier players like yourself . Never play for credits until you reach Legend tier then never play below Legend tier for credits if you want an honest game .

You have a good ways to go to get the top gear . The clubs at your level are far from the best even though they seem that way to you . In spite of the cheaters and other reprrobates you can have fun playing this game . Also you can and will make friends with some great people here as well . The game is just like the real world you have to take the good with the bad , but the good will always out weigh the bad .

So welcome to the game and hope that you have fun and enjoy yourself for as long as you play . You will find that here in the forums is a great place to hang out and meet and make friends . The gang for the most part will help you every way they can  to advise and teach you how to play better all you have to do is ask .

Again welcome to the game play well and have fun . :-)

While I agree with most of Lonnie's post, I have objections regarding the highlighted part. Legend tier is by far the most infested with multis. It's because of the L 500cr bracket, which is the best earner around. And it can last a long time. Unlike in lower tiers, where someone wins 4 RGs as a TP and is immediately promoted to master tier (with only 4 TP rounds), the legend tier gives you 500 rounds +. 

I'm not a multi, but I managed to rake in more than enough credits as a legend, playing nothing but those 500 brackets. I netted over 200k. And one can stretch those 500 rounds a lot, some of them are on either a par 3 or a par 5 course, other times you're playing against people, who can't shoot under par and are foolish enough to enter those shark infested waters. When you see his best score on that course was a 68, there's no need to post a score better than a 67 ;-)

So, I'd say enter RGs and brackert at tiers lower than legend. At least multis go through those tiers with lightning speed, cause the minimum required rounds numbers don't apply to them since late 2012. There's at least a chance to get lucky and run into some slower traffic, which you won't get as a legend. If you're a legend and don't have that many credits to spend, play credit tourneys only if you're really, really good ;-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Apr 20 2017 10:54 AM

Word to self. Be very careful when you spend money to play a tourney. Way too many of the lower tiered players are not sharks, they are Parasites. They will eat you alive and enjoy it.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Thu, Apr 20 2017 4:45 PM

renniw52:
    They will eat you alive and enjoy it.

Image result for piranha feeding gif

RSS