Forums

Help › Forums

Iron Backspin

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 8 2017 6:32 AM (8 replies)
  • iPhilMickelson
    74 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2017 6:51 PM

I just bought these irons a few days ago and I don't seem to get any spin on them. The ball never even sits unless there's a decent amount of wind going towards me much less go back. The irons have 3 spin and high trajectory(which doesn't seem to make any difference), and I also use balls with 2 spin.

What's up with this?

• iPhilMickelson
    74 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2017 6:51 PM

Also, does hitting from the rough take all the spin off your ball?

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2017 10:39 PM

From the bottom up: Yes, rough (and sand) take much spin off the ball.

As for the gear, no pun intended, but your's simply not good enough to stick it.

The L59 G25s and the Tour-SD are a solid combination in Master tier, but far away from "playing darts" with the irons. You'll see a difference with any Cally balls, more so with the top Nikes, but the real thing is hidden in the top irons (I'm guessing, L95+). Watch a video from fmagnets!

OTOH, you have a free club slot to fill. Looking for a wedge? You might want to fill the gap between the two you have - look for the yardage, not the loft.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2017 10:45 PM

iPhilMickelson:

Also, does hitting from the rough take all the spin off your ball?

Yes hitting from the rough reduces or eliminates spin completely.  From 30-40% rough will eliminate spin.  The Pings are good irons for the level the are available.  With the 2.0 spin on the Tour SDs, the higher irons shuld show some effect.

Which clubs are you not seeing any spin effect?  The long irons won't stop as well as a wedge or short iron.  Also trying a ball with more spin like a Cally Lvl 33 (3.5 spin) will make more difference. 

EDIT: alosso is right, in that these irons and balls won't stick like the top level clubs and ball will.

• iPhilMickelson
    74 Posts
    Sat, Apr 8 2017 5:43 AM

alosso:

OTOH, you have a free club slot to fill. Looking for a wedge? You might want to fill the gap between the two you have - look for the yardage, not the loft.

I was also wondering about this..if I should get a hybrid or another wedge..both seem unnecessary though. A 75 yd wedge to add between my 90 and 60. I can easily make up the 75 with the 90. And a hybrid isn't much different from a 3 wood. The space between my irons and 3 wood is 22 yds.

Also, my Max Spin wedges have 5 spin and I get a LOT of spin on them even with normal starter balls. 3 spin(irons) + 2 spin(balls) = 5 spin. Shouldn't that be equivalent to my wedges(5 spin) + starter balls(0 spin)? If so..I should be getting a lot more spin with these irons. Both also have high trajectory.

• iPhilMickelson
    74 Posts
    Sat, Apr 8 2017 5:46 AM

phred952:

Which clubs are you not seeing any spin effect?  The long irons won't stop as well as a wedge or short iron.  Also trying a ball with more spin like a Cally Lvl 33 (3.5 spin) will make more difference. 

My wedges show a lot of spin, even with starter balls. I can get it to go back 3-4 yds with just the starter balls depending on the slope of the green. With no spin and starter balls my wedges stop the starter ball.

Oh, another thing is, I would expect the ball to roll a lot if I put top spin on my wedges, though it just seems to hit the ball like I didn't put any spin on it.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Sat, Apr 8 2017 6:22 AM

iPhilMickelson:
    Both also have high trajectory.

AFAIR, all wedges have "high" trajectory, but it serves differently.

And, 5&0 spin is certainly weaker than 3&2 spin. IMHO, that's not a mathematical addition!!

iPhilMickelson:
    A 75 yd wedge to add between my 90 and 60. I can easily make up the 75 with the 90.
    Not precisely that addition (I didn't look up the yardages), but as food for thoughts, what about 65 yds?

Coming down from a 110/115 yds PW in the iron set, it's common practice to equally space three wedges below that

My favourite spacing is 50 - 75 - 100, and other sets have 60 - 80 - 100. It's disputable if the top wedge should play longer or shorter, but it comes down to these thoughts.

Knowing that the punch of quality wedges serves as an almost-equal shot, we get eight full meter shots from four wedges, including the PW.

Look at your punch lengths - do they cover good spots between the full lengths? (might serve for the "68" question) Maybe you don't need a third wedge now.

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Sat, Apr 8 2017 6:28 AM

Add a third wedge , Your scores will improve ...Good Luck

Right now you can rent clubs for free  ..

• iPhilMickelson
    74 Posts
    Sat, Apr 8 2017 6:32 AM

alosso:

And, 5&0 spin is certainly weaker than 3&2 spin. IMHO, that's not a mathematical addition!!

I'm not sure what you mean by this..if 5 & 0 is weaker..why isn't it weaker?

RSS