Forums

Help › Forums

Opinions on callaway xr lvl52 and apex lvl64

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 30 2017 6:38 PM (6 replies)
  • Augusta298
    2 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 5:52 AM

I am level 49 looking to upgrade my lvl 8 cobra irons. I'm torn between the r11 lvl32 and the callaway xr or apex. Not sure what the hype on ping lvl 59 is the forgiveness on them is not any better than me lvl 8. No reviews on the callaways. Thanks in advance for the help

• jessek12
    102 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 11:31 AM

Augusta298:

I am level 49 looking to upgrade my lvl 8 cobra irons. I'm torn between the r11 lvl32 and the callaway xr or apex. Not sure what the hype on ping lvl 59 is the forgiveness on them is not any better than me lvl 8. No reviews on the callaways. Thanks in advance for the help

The L59 Pings are the first iron set with a "high" trajectory. The two Callaway sets you mentioned are both "Medium", which means they will come into greens lower with more rollout. People overwhelmingly recommend the L59s as the first "upgrade" irons because the high trajectory helps land the ball softer, especially on firmer greens and from farther out as you advance tiers.

Plus, the yardage spacing between clubs is a bit tighter with the Pings than those other two sets, which might help a bit I suppose. You could hit the Ping PW in on a 115 yd shot, but you might have a 9 iron with the other two sets (which might come down at the same trajectory as the Ping 8 iron). 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 12:18 PM

I'd wait for the Level 59 Pings. The "hype" is all about the fact that those are the first irons available at that level with a high trajectory. And that's what you want  when you're trying to land and  stop the ball on the green.

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 12:36 PM

K7JBQ:
    The "hype" is all about the fact that those are the first irons available at that level with a high trajectory.

Not quite, even the starters are high trajectory ;)

• Augusta298
    2 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 1:17 PM

I'm looking at forgiveness and the pings are not any better than my level 8. So to me that is not an improvement

• jessek12
    102 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 6:38 PM

Augusta298:

I'm looking at forgiveness and the pings are not any better than my level 8. So to me that is not an improvement

Nobody said anything about forgivenesses. It's the trajectory and the distance between clubs. 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 3:45 AM

Augusta298:

Comparing only one attribute is not the best way to look at clubs.  The precision of the pings is greater and the meter speed is 4.0 instead of 3.5 with your current clubs.

Do a search in the box and learn about precision and forgiveness.  The two work together.  And as you tier up reducing roll out becomes more important.  That is the reason the Pings are considered to be the best irons around that level..

If you were to compare the Pings and the Callaways you will find you have ball better control as far as stopping your shots goes with the Pings.  I compared the Pings to the lvl 52 Nikes about 1 1/2 years ago on a free rental weekend and found the Pings superior.  Those Callys are basically those lvl 52 nikes repackaged with a slightly slower meter.

RSS