Forums

Help › Forums

Wind Direction in Tournaments

Tue, Sep 18 2018 3:55 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • vadernader
    62 Posts
    Tue, Mar 28 2017 12:21 PM

I recently played a Best of Par 5 Ready Go and an issue I've always had with the game was made even more blatant to me today. Of the 18 holes I've played, I played 3 holes with a "downwind" wind direction - specifically 1 was straight down and the other 2 were mainly sidewinds slightly downwind. Of the other 15 holes, 14 were pretty much straight into the wind and 1 was straight sidewind. This would not really matter on a normal course with Par 4's and Par 3's but when a lot of the Par 5's are reachable with sidewinds or downwind and suddenly you randomly play 14 of them straight into the wind it really is not fair. I was still able to reach 5 out of 18 in 2 shots but mind you that was with the longest driver I can buy (287) and longest 3wd (250) and longest ball (Nike Platinum). Some holes are still reachable in 2 easily even into a direct headwind (like the opener, Pebble's 2nd) but others are reachable only in sidewinds or tailwinds or basically any wind EXCEPT direct headwind. 

I know it may be difficult to code it so that wind directions are consistent throughout a course layout (like throughout St. Andy's or throughout Pebble - e.g. holes 8, 9, and 10 in the same direction, then 11 would be turned around relative to the course map.) but can we at least have it so everyone who plays in the same tournament gets the same wind direction? It's really unfair when it comes to BOP5 course because if someone can reach 16 holes in 2 shots because they get all tailwinds they are obviously going to do better than someone who can only reach 4-5 due to all headwinds. I'm not just complaining because of a bad round by any means, I still shot a respectable -18 but it's just frustrating when randomness has so much of an effect on how well you will do. Yes, the best players should be able to still make an easy birdie on a Par 5 even if it is a headwind but that's not the point. It still is going to be easier to make birdie and a LOT easier to make eagle when you can reach the green in 2 shots vs. when you have to wedge in from 30, 40, 50, 60yds. 

Is it really that hard to give everyone the same wind directions throughout each tournament? Seems like a small thing that would make it more fair for everyone.... (Just imagine if everyone who played a tournament got different green speeds, or different pin positions....) 

• HughCameron0
    5 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 3:37 PM

I would also quite like to know whether wind direction is the same among all players in a ready-go tournament. Else, it seems a little unfair? Thanks.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 8:14 PM

HughCameron0:
    I would also quite like to know whether wind direction is the same among all players in a ready-go tournament. Else, it seems a little unfair? Thanks.

It's not a secret. It's not the same for everyone. It's a bit of a luck of the draw at work.

The belief is that, in the long run, it works out. In other words, sometimes you're "penalized" and other times you benefit. 

So, if one were only allowed to play a single event, with no other opportunities to play additional events, then yes, it's unfair. But if one is allowed to play multiple events, then it (most likely) evens out. 

• headhacker
    98 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2018 9:26 AM

Ever watch a tourney on TV - Especially the Open Championship? Dry and sunny with easy conditions in the morning and wind/rain the afternoon. Greens speed up or slow down as the day progresses. Green speeds change during a round of 4+ hours. Winds change, not just during the round but during a shot. Swirling winds - which we don't have here at all. No two golfers ever face the exact same conditions.

But as it was pointed out earlier, in the end, if you play enough, what comes around should go around.

Cheers mate! 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Aug 30 2018 5:38 PM

Robert1893:
    It's not a secret. It's not the same for everyone. It's a bit of a luck of the draw at work.

You know, I'm not paranoid, but I do know this game hates me.  Sometimes my wind changes direction during the shot or just blows straight down so my ball can't get off the ground.  

I mean even the rough hates me:

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:550:0]

Not to mention the aimer runs out of sight:

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:550:0]

It can't be me.......

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Thu, Aug 30 2018 7:34 PM

In your first screen shot you are behind the hole looking in the opposite direction. That's why the wind appears to be in the opposite direction.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Fri, Aug 31 2018 2:52 AM
    headhacker:
    Ever watch a tourney on TV - Especially the Open Championship? Dry and sunny with easy conditions in the morning and wind/rain the afternoon. Greens speed up or slow down as the day progresses. Green speeds change during a round of 4+ hours. Winds change, not just during the round but during a shot. Swirling winds - which we don't have here at all. No two golfers ever face the exact same conditions.
    This has been a point stated about wind many times. However, lets take the 9th & 10th holes at St Andrews for example, both drivable par 4's. If you play the 9th in to headwind wind then you get a tailwind on the 10th as 1 hole faces 1 way and the other faces the other way. Here on wgt though it's possible to get 2 tailwinds or 2 headwinds. 2 tailwinds could be -4 through the 2 holes. 2 headwinds and only -2 through the 2 holes is realistically possible. That's what's not fair.
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Sep 3 2018 12:58 PM

ItsTooSweet:

In your first screen shot you are behind the hole looking in the opposite direction. That's why the wind appears to be in the opposite direction.

No, actually I was standing exactly where the highlighted camera is, which is short of the hole.  (Of course, the point was in my caption "Even the rough hates me", not anything to do with wind!) :)

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Sep 3 2018 1:28 PM

Robert1893:
    So, if one were only allowed to play a single event, with no other opportunities to play additional events, then yes, it's unfair.

Yes - happened to me in a CC bracket tourney just ended.  Only two competitors with a single play and the conditions were extreme for someone like me with just over 7 months playing!  "Best of WGT" course with high winds and T-13 greens.  It seemed head and tail-winds were basically backwards for what would have helped.  Add phantom wind on 5-6 holes and I had a tough day.  Don't know what my competitor got for winds.

C'est la vie!

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2018 7:38 PM

DoctorLarry:

ItsTooSweet:

No, actually I was standing exactly where the highlighted camera is, which is short of the hole.  (Of course, the point was in my caption "Even the rough hates me", not anything to do with wind!) :)

I must have totally missed your point, sorry. LOL.

• PAGES
RSS