Forums

Help › Forums

Magic Formula for Elevation and/or Wind?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 17 2015 4:02 AM (24 replies)
  • maiorca
    2 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 12:35 PM

Anyone out there think they have figured out the magic formula for elevation changes or wind?

For example's sake, let's say you're 160 out, there's no wind, but the hole is 10ft above you? How does that play? I used to think that 10ft above = +10yrds distance but that doesn't seem to always hold true. Anyone think they have solved this magic algorithm?

And what about wind? Does a 10mph headwind add 10yds to the shot? Does it depend on your distance from the hole?

Any thoughts (especially from the masters) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 12:41 PM

Im not a Master...just your avg Joe Pro.. It might be ten yards for a short club...cause the ball has more backspin and height  say compared to a hybrid..so there might be alot of variables making this near impossible to peg...I havent seen any posts on chipping from the rough either  and that still has me baffled...well pitching since I only chip from the edge of the green... so why is it  when you hit your chip 15' on a level green the ball goes like 20 to 23 feet?

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 12:45 PM

In real life, a ball that hit with a club that travels162 yards on level ground in neutral wind will land at about 141 yards to a green elevated 20 yards above.  If it's 20 yards below, it will land at about 180 yards with the same club.

This not being real life golf however, the calculations in this game are different, as the formula being used to calculate trajectory physics and roll are incorrect.

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 1:08 PM

Based upon only my observations on the game and keep in mind I'm a pro and only on the site about a month.  The wind seems to add or subtract a percentage equal to about half of the wind speed.  So for 15 MPH, you gain or lose about 7.5 yards.  The uphill side seems very inconsistent to me, about 1/2 club more or less for every 5 feet of elevation.  The chipping is horrible, in fact I try to not chip but rather flop as much as I can.  I have also noticed that a flop shot tends to always go a couple of feet to the right.  I finally have gotten better at putting, using the 5 foot rule on putting and watching the club go back has helped me.  Breaks are still tough but I'm getting better at them.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 6:08 AM

There are 3ft to 1 yard,so if you had a 160 yd shot with 10ft up hill.wouldn't this shot be a 163yd shot in total ..? 10ft is a tad over 3yds to my knowledge.

But this game never seems to work out that way,especially on B/P #5

• maiorca
    2 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 2:01 PM

There are 3 ft in 1 yard, but a change in vertical distance doesn't equal a change in horizontal distance (at least the ratio is not one to one in real world physics). 

I guess what I'm really asking is - all else equal - how do you adjust your distance when the hole is 150 yds away and 10 ft above you? Do you play it as 160? Someone out there must feel like they've got it figured out. Afraid to give away the secret?

• CrazyCopper
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jan 11 2015 10:14 PM

Yes it would be great to have some guide for guidance 

• tubbytubb
    121 Posts
    Wed, Jan 14 2015 5:29 AM

Howdy,  there are countless posts on how to play elevation.  I personally use the 3ft. = 1 yd.    150 up 10  hit 153.  the ball will roll out a bit being up that much, so you have to map the distances on your clubs and balls.  Some holes play long and some short.  For a elevation that drops, I use the same math, but some folks us 2ft.=1.  A sugestion.  Map your clubs,  carry distance, and total distance.  Do that for full top spin, no spin, and full bs.  Then you will have an idea where to putt the spin dot to get an yardage that doesnt fit your clubs well.  I try to always hit a full shot, on the power meter, but that just may be me.  Don't forget to learn the punch, that gives you 6 wedges, kind of.  lol   no real secret, just

practice, practice, practice  

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Jan 14 2015 6:50 AM

Garypinhunters website has all the answers to your questions and the answers to questions you haven't even asked yet.

61 Posts
    Wed, Jan 14 2015 3:45 PM

Just what I do so whatever its worth..10 Yards to me, I divide by 3..make it a tad over 3 yards. Works pretty well. By the same token ..38 feet down..divide by 3=12.6666666..- the distance to the pin. so lets say 160 to the pin, down 38=147 or thereabouts. Hope this helps a little.

RSS