Forums

Help › Forums

Adobe Flash Death, any plans for the future WGT?

Wed, Dec 30 2020 11:46 AM (73 replies)
  • largemouth51
    1,212 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 9:44 AM

Advice for my PC using friends....DON'T BUY ANYTHING BUT BALLS until WGT gives us an official definitive answer on the future of PC users after flash. Money talks here so not buying new equipment is the best way to get the answers to all our questions.

• BogeyOne
    1,965 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 10:04 AM

There is much to learn about setting up any Linux distro (again, I recommend Linux Mint).  Once you have spent some time exploring it things will get easier, but it is a way different animal in the gut operations from Windows.  Some stuff has to be added after the initial OS is installed. . .like a firewall, adobe flash, and other things you may find necessary and desire.  Most all you want can be found in the Software Manager.  As for browsers, the main ones that are offered there are Firefox and Chromium - which is Chrome without the security issues.  Other browsers can be added by going to their websites and downloading one that is compatible with Linux.  Chrome is offered that way as is the one I got for my system, Pale Moon.  Pale Moon plays this game as smooth as silk.

Here is a screenshot of the browser section of the Software Manager:

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 2:47 PM

Ah ok Scott, i thought by your post you were using it.

When i had it before i think it came with the firefox browser, i'm trying to remember if i was able to try a different one, i'll wait and see if anyone is using it and knows if maxthon can be used and is it still stable on linux.

ScottHope:

Edited to add that i just googled it and it can be used but is unsupported software, i will probably give it a try nearer to d day.

Nicole161106:
    Hi Scott, [would i be able to use maxthon for the game if using linux?

Hi Nicole, although I have never used Linux, I would be very surprised if there were any restrictions as to what browser you were allowed to use on it.

Give it a go and let us know how it goes.

Thanks again Scott.

• BogeyOne
    1,965 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 3:20 PM

Nicole161106:

i'll wait and see if anyone is using it and knows if maxthon can be used and is it still stable on linux.

No. Maxthon is not available for any Linux distro. Go to the maxthon website and you will verify that.

I have been using Linux Mint for years.  See my reply just above yours Nicole.

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 11:52 PM

⇧ You're welcome Nicole, thank you. ⇧

BogeyOne, I can see a Maxthon download link for Linux on this page...

...click the picture to go to the webpage.

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2019 5:25 AM

Thanks BogeyOne, i edited my post after i googled it and it says it can be used but is unsupported software. (whatever that means) Just noticed Scott has posted the link to it also.

It is all for the future anyway, i am in no hurry, just looking at options as i can't see me playing on the mobile, cartoon set up, if that becomes the only option, as the main reason i have been so long on wgt is the realistic graphics. (same reason i don't play the 2 cartoon courses) 

BogeyOne:

Nicole161106:

i'll wait and see if anyone is using it and knows if maxthon can be used and is it still stable on linux.

No. Maxthon is not available for any Linux distro. Go to the maxthon website and you will verify that.

I have been using Linux Mint for years.  See my reply just above yours Nicole.

• BogeyOne
    1,965 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2019 6:21 AM

ScottHope:

BogeyOne, I can see a Maxthon download link for Linux on this page...

The debian file which is the one to use shows an error when attempting to install it once downloaded.  If you can get it work, let me know.  I would like to check out Maxthon.

Thanks Scott.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2019 6:32 AM

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2019 7:11 AM
     BogeyOne:
    The debian file which is the one to use shows an error when attempting to install it once downloaded.  If you can get it work, let me know.  I would like to check out Maxthon.  Thanks Scott.

Sorry BogeyOne, but I don't have Linux installed. Nicole also thought I had an installation of Linux, so I apologise to you both.

TopShelf2010:
    Most of the articles that I have read, including the one on Scott's profile, one of the main comments is that ( and I am paraphrasing here) is that...

Flash will be removed from all SUPPORTED versions of Windows.

Does anyone know about older unsupported versions of Windows? ( ie:Vista )

Don.

I had an email from Microsoft at the end of July this year, notifying me that support for Windows 7 will end on the 14th January 2020.

Luckily for me, that's before the flash removal deadline at the end of 2020.

The email states that unsupported versions of Windows do not receive security or software updates and to me that says I won't be getting any update that will remove flash.

But it still means that I will have to have a browser that runs flash installed on my system, and also that WGT will have the flash version of the game available to play.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Aug 14 2019 7:27 AM

RSS