Help › Forums

A simple guide how to be good at putting

Sat, Nov 7 2020 8:53 AM (49 replies)
  • bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 2:48 PM

I usually just hit it, if it misses i scream, if it goes in i scream

Mrs hears me scream and says "is it in"

I say well if it is its your turn to scream.

[yeah right]

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 3:18 PM

Joshnosh:

PaulTon:

Joshnosh:
    This is not all my own work but it makes putting very simple

Everything that followed contradicted that 1st sentence.

Somone else came up with the method originally this is my own take on it 

I think it was the second part of the sentence he was referring to.  

Seems like you've put a fair bit into it and are obviously willing to share, good luck with it.  Too much time and effort for me though, it would take the fun out of playing.

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 3:34 PM

MainzMan:

Well, I kinda hate to admit it, but I just gave it a go by playing CB hole 1 and it actually worked.  The putt was 14 feet, 5 inch down and the maths said 42.75mm of break at the flag and I'll be damned if that ball didn't drop in the hole.

It's not something I could ever be bothered to do during a round and I wonder how it would work on putts with varying amounts of break along the line but for a fairly even break it does seem to have something.

I'm confused as I see a calc, but is it for power or aim?

Now I'm on the JC Putting Method page the OP referred to....sheesh...what a complex read...

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/270430.aspx?PageIndex=1

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 5:28 PM

PaulTon:
    the hard of thinking types like me.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 11:53 PM

PaulTon:

Yeah fair play to you, it's just not for the hard of drinking types like me.

Fixed  :)

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 11:58 PM

pmm711:

Now I'm on the JC Putting Method page the OP referred to....sheesh...what a complex read...

It's for aim, power still has to be thought out by your good self.  Which is potentially a problem as some people trickle putts in, some whack the shorter ones.  Given the methed described here is not going to be used on short putts though I could see it being OK for most people as even I don't whack long, bending putts in.

There are some unbelievably complex methods floating around. Some had you tracking the movement of the dots along the whole length of the putt, I hate to think how long a round using that method must have taken.  Or what a night out with such a person would be like......

This is relatively simple but I can't see it working on putts that have multiple direction breaks or ones where the break becomes much more severe at the end.

It's a decent effort though.  Not for me but each to their own and this does appear to work, based on my extensive, 1 hole analysis  : ))

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Wed, Mar 1 2017 12:53 AM

PaulTon:

Joshnosh:
    This is not all my own work but it makes putting very simple

Everything that followed contradicted that 1st sentence.

+1

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Wed, Mar 1 2017 5:33 AM

MainzMan:

pmm711:

It's for aim, power still has to be thought out by your good self.  Which is potentially a problem as some people trickle putts in, some whack the shorter ones.  Given the methed described here is not going to be used on short putts though I could see it being OK for most people as even I don't whack long, bending putts in.

There are some unbelievably complex methods floating around. Some had you tracking the movement of the dots along the whole length of the putt, I hate to think how long a round using that method must have taken.  Or what a night out with such a person would be like......

This is relatively simple but I can't see it working on putts that have multiple direction breaks or ones where the break becomes much more severe at the end.

It's a decent effort though.  Not for me but each to their own and this does appear to work, based on my extensive, 1 hole analysis  : ))

Mainz it works on them all you do is.

if you have mostly say 9 sec puts going one way then one going the other way instead of doing .75 you would do .5. on down hill puts i aim for it to drop at the hole, on uphill or level puts i puts it 2 feet past.

Using this i went from around 40% 1 puts to over 51% it takes me about 20-40 seconds to work out a put depending on the break

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Mar 1 2017 8:46 AM

Cheers Josh but I've been playing by feel too long to get into a system for putting.

For me these things have their place as a stepping stone on he way to playing purely by experience and judgement.  I think for someone who struggles to get the break right they're great.  Maybe that person just made legend tier and is finding the new green speed a challenge.  Being able to see how far you need to aim to allow for the break is a big help.   Same as wind formulas really.

I prefer to play without these methods but that may just be me and a few others.  Each to their own.

Kudos to you for posting it though and for simplifying it a bit.   I wish you well with it.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Wed, Mar 1 2017 9:09 AM

Joshnosh:
    Using this i went from around 40% 1 puts to over 51%

During what time period? In other words, how long did it take you to realize that increase... a week? a month? a year?  

And while it's better than my percentage of one putts, I don't know that 51% is exactly a ringing endorsement. I've seen stats of people on here with much higher percentages.

Again, your putting is better than mine. I acknowledge that. But your putting isn't so much better than others that I would conclude you've figured out how to be good at putting. At this point, it appears that you've got a process that allows you to be above average.  (By the way, I consider myself to be an average putter.)

RSS