Forums

Help › Forums

A simple guide how to be good at putting

Sat, Nov 7 2020 8:53 AM (49 replies)
  • Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 10:03 AM

This is not all my own work but it makes putting very simple. its the JC method but i always thought the explanations where complicated.

This is how i do it i look at my put and say its 10 foot +3 i take 3 from the 10 leaves me with 7 

i put 7 in my calculator, then i look at one of the faster dots and i count how o long it takes to move across 1 grid.  6 seconds = 1 , 9 seconds = 0.75, 12 seconds 0.5 , 18 seconds 0.33.

so i take my 7 and multiply buy the number you just got for instance in this example its a 9 second read so 0.75 this gives 5.25.

next step is to go chip mode from behind and move the aimer so the vertical line of the box is over the pin this will give you the half distance of a grid. Then i take my ruler and measure the marker to the flag its normally 2 cm but it varies between views. 

lets say its 2, so i multiply my 5.25 by 2 get 10.5 and i move my aimer 10.5 mm using my ruler hit the ding and it will go in.

For down hill putts you add to the distance so a 10 -3 will be 13. and also note when it comes to puts that are more than -4 work out what you think it is then double it

good luck hope this helps working pretty well for me if u have the speed of the dots right and you ding it goes in nearly every time

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 10:25 AM

helluva long post for a simple guide

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 11:04 AM

As clear as mud. I'd sooner drop it in or lip out and take 2 rather than faff about like an old tart, holding up other players. 

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 11:24 AM

fairground11:

helluva long post for a simple guide

You should have seen the post when this was first discussed, ten times longer.

Phil maybe you should use it might help your putting :) 

• jessek12
    102 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 12:28 PM

Joshnosh:

and also note when it comes to puts that are more than -4 work out what you think it is then double it

Huh?  You just arbitrarily decide to double it if it's more than 4 in up or downhill?

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 1:03 PM

Well, I kinda hate to admit it, but I just gave it a go by playing CB hole 1 and it actually worked.  The putt was 14 feet, 5 inch down and the maths said 42.75mm of break at the flag and I'll be damned if that ball didn't drop in the hole.

It's not something I could ever be bothered to do during a round and I wonder how it would work on putts with varying amounts of break along the line but for a fairly even break it does seem to have something.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 1:18 PM

Joshnosh:
    This is not all my own work but it makes putting very simple

Everything that followed contradicted that 1st sentence.

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 2:06 PM

the thing is once you get used to doing it it dont take that long. id rather take an extra 20 seconds over a putt n hole it

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 2:07 PM

PaulTon:

Joshnosh:

Somone else came up with the method originally this is my own take on it 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Feb 28 2017 2:25 PM

Joshnosh:

PaulTon:

Joshnosh:

Somone else came up with the method originally this is my own take on it 

Yeah fair play to you, it's just not for the hard of thinking types like me.

RSS