Forums

Help › Forums

The Approach Shot - A New Approach

Fri, Feb 24 2017 6:02 AM (22 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2017 2:29 PM

Y'all need to stop right there.  We need to listen to this guy.

After all he is a Tour Pro with a total of 35 ranked rounds.

Sarcasm, maybe, or not.  Your choice, not mine. 

Does this also mean Math doesn't lie.

Edit... and we should all be very impressed with a first post.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2017 2:30 PM

Nice post Gary, very nice  :   ))

• Premed
    776 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2017 2:32 PM

First of all well done for posting the longest post I have probably ever come across on this site, however TL;DR

esllou:
    My 'distance from pin' stats went from 25ft in the 10 rounds before I started to 14ft in the last ten rounds I played (once I'd perfected it)

From your profile your average distance to pin is still 25 so ?? dont know whats up with that.

I wish you well with your scientific approach, I.m all for science, however don't forget it is WGT & they are well know for having different laws of physics to the rest of us, but what ever works for you is cool.

One tip I would give you tho is try to play with some higher level players, either stroke or matchplay, watch what they do & try to emulate what you see. Its not all in the science of a shot, a lot is course management, when to go for the pin, when to lay up, what rough is OK & what bunkers are absolute no,no's - in other words game management.

I broke the game down to two basic things to master

1 - Get approach shots 10ft or closer to the hole

2 - Get good at holing putts under 10 ft

Its still a work in progress, so maybe I know nothing in the end ;-)

ps - if u were in a cc you could use free shot & putter pal, just an idea

• jeffmatulich
    482 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2017 3:22 PM

Come on....was a great first post.  Give a brother a break.

He's into the game, figured some stuff out and is excited about it........let him bask in the glory....

tough crowd.

OP - the game changes, but as you advance through the changes and your equipment your approach will not serve you wrong.  GL

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2017 4:37 PM

jeffmatulich:
    Come on....was a great first post.  Give a brother a break.

He's into the game, figured some stuff out and is excited about it........let him bask in the glory....

tough crowd.

Of course, you're correct. Thanks for posting. I thought about posting a follow-up as well because I felt a little bad about how the thread progressed. But I just never took the time. Obviously, he is excited about what he discovered and put a lot of work into what he wrote.

Still, a lot of what I read seems to be summed up by what I wrote, "map your clubs." And that has been talked about a lot on these boards. The other thing is that one can learn a lot about how your clubs perform by just practicing. 

I've never taken the time to map my clubs, and I've never taken notes. Now, I'll never be an elite player like some. But I manage to play an OK game. 

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2017 3:35 AM

What a nice post good to see someone is trying to help others, what you will soon realise if you play the game long enough, is when you have top clubs n top balls, the point of the game turns into darts, you land the ball close to the flag and it stops nearly straight away and you tap it it..

i have my clubs mapped like you but it much more detail i have every % from 100-95 but also in every spin.

and i also use a calculator for calculating wind, and about 50 excel spread sheets, then course notes.

you should watch some of young46 youtube videos you will learn allot.

last thing starter balls are totally useless, though depends how good you want to get

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2017 5:32 AM

Joshnosh:

i have my clubs mapped like you but it much more detail i have every % from 100-95 but also in every spin.

and i also use a calculator for calculating wind, and about 50 excel spread sheets, then course notes.

And that's another approach. :-) 

I still think the best approach is to simply learn one's clubs by playing a lot and enjoying the game, At some point, one simply gets a "feel" for the game and intuitively knows what works and doesn't work or how hard to hit a shot as well as when to add backspin or topspin. 

Again, one is unlikely to become an elite player by playing mostly by feel. But I struggle to identify what elite status would bring me over my current approach. The bottom line is that it's just a game and a nice diversion.

I guess each person has to decide for himself or herself what they want out of the game. My current goal is to make Tour Legend before the end of April. For that goal, I'm in really good shape. My next goal is to make Champion tier. But that could take me a couple of years. If I make it, great! If not, no big deal.  

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2017 5:36 AM

Robert1893:

Joshnosh:

And that's another approach. :-) 

I still think the best approach is to simply learn one's clubs by playing a lot and enjoying the game, At some point, one simply gets a "feel" for the game and intuitively knows what works and doesn't work or how hard to hit a shot as well as when to add backspin or topspin. 

Again, one is unlikely to become an elite player by playing mostly by feel. But I struggle to identify what elite status would bring me over my current approach. The bottom line is that it's just a game and a nice diversion.

I guess each person has to decide for himself or herself what they want out of the game. My current goal is to make Tour Legend before the end of April. For that goal, I'm in really good shape. My next goal is to make Champion tier. But that could take me a couple of years. If I make it, great! If not, no big deal.  

This is true, the only way to be in the super elite in this game, is to play every single credit round every day, you see the same players at the top of the monthly money chart each week, are they the best players? they are certainly up there, but they also play non stop. when u sign up for every ready to go and have to play them all in 1 day every day its not a fun game anymore.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2017 3:53 PM

The OP has played twice in 90 days (if that's all that's kept in our history) and that was on February 5th.  He played 2 "Sweeps".  Then he makes this post on Feb 18th.  Either he's playing a chitload of "Practice" or something is amiss.  His content is great...but for a first time poster I'm a bit skeptical.

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Thu, Feb 23 2017 12:48 PM

You're just an old septic sceptic Paul.

RSS