Wed, Feb 8 2017 2:41 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, Feb 7 2017 11:04 PM

alanti:

Bubblesimba:

Icon wrote this a while back

Erin hills due in May, We should hopefully see one of the CCTH's before april/early april

I think you will find Icon was talking about CTTH at Erin Hills (before the stroke play course), not one of the CTTH courses becoming a stroke play course, but I would love it if I was wrong.

Alan Erin Hills is the U.S.Open course this year. They aren't going to have the Virtusl U.S.Open on a CTTH only course.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Feb 7 2017 11:34 PM

borntobesting:

alanti:

Bubblesimba:

Icon wrote this a while back

Erin hills due in May, We should hopefully see one of the CCTH's before april/early april

I think you will find Icon was talking about CTTH at Erin Hills (before the stroke play course), not one of the CTTH courses becoming a stroke play course, but I would love it if I was wrong.

Alan Erin Hills is the U.S.Open course this year. They aren't going to have the Virtusl U.S.Open on a CTTH only course.

Joe, you are correct on both counts. I think you have misread what I said - that the CTTH course will be released before the full course.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 1:00 AM

Daimauwr:

First of all I was never aware of how the courses were constructed for 9/18 hole play, so I now have a better understanding.

Just for your info, and bearing in mind Phred's comments about my average etc. Up until 2010 I was (at the age of 70 on a 9 handicap) a player of over 40 years having played rep golf for my club in Auckland, a member of the Eagles Society that arranged golf tournaments, and as a frequent traveller in my business have played on more than 40-50 courses in UK, USA, South Africa, Hawaii, Fiji, Malaysia and Thailand as well as more than 30 courses in New Zealand.. I always enjoyed the challenge of a new course - each was it's own voyage of discovery.

In 2010 I was in a car crash that crushed my right leg and damaged both hips, resulting in a femoral artery by-pass. That's why I am on WGT and as I have slowly made my way up to Master level I have enjoyed my time here. Not everyone wants to become a one finger legend and that should be taken into account by the WGT planners. It would be nice to play on a course occasionally when the wind is not in your face on every hole and the greens are normal, not PRO Tournament 12 level on diabolical sloped greens. Obviously my REAL playing days are over but when I joined WGT with starter clubs and at hack level it took some time to adjust to the nuances of each game and course.

And i might add - please do not sit in judgement of any member without knowing their circumstances first. Asking is better than telling.

First of all I am sorry that your injuries lead to ending your playing IRL.  I myself had given up play IRL due to a work related injury several years ago.  While you are a bit older than me, I am also one of the "older guys" that enjoys this game.  Missing playing IRL lead me to look for a computer game.  I often refer to my self as a dinosaur here.  I fully remember how difficult the game was when I started playing.  But the only way I improved was by practicing.

I also get tired of playing rounds where you are fighting the wind in your face.  So sometimes I will set up a practice round and adjust those things (lower wind, easy pin locations) to get some more enjoyment out of the game.  But I still play tournaments when the wind is high.  And at times I have more trouble with slower green speeds than the Tournament 12 that go with my tier.

If you are enjoying the game that is the most important thing.  If you have no interest in tiering up that is also OK.  but I will stand by my comments that I've made in other posts that it takes lots of practice to get really good at this game.  

I fully understand the desire for new courses.  I'm sure most players would like to see more and different ones as things do get stale after a while.  Beyond Erin Hills, things are unknown.

Perhaps I took from your comments that you would get better by playing new courses, when that was not what you meant.  If so, that was wrong and I'm sorry for getting that impression.  

Bottom line is I hope you will enjoy the game at a level you are comfortable with.

Good Luck,

phred952

• Daimauwr
    23 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 1:54 AM

Thank you. Many of your assessments are correct and I do enjoy playing - even though I 'stuff up' on a hole or two that reduces me from - 4 to + whatever.

I will continue to play WGT and take some comfort from reaching a couple of levels above 'duffer'.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments.

David Phillips

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 2:22 PM

No worries, David.  As I said just find a way to enjoy the game.  As for those WTF moments we all have them.  Back when I was a Master or TM I finally figured out that trying to recover with a "hero" shot just made things worse.  

Think of it as a type Course Management.  If you just play a percentage shot to recover, and accept that you might still end up with Par or a Bogey at worse.  Then look to get a stroke back on the next hole.

For example Bethpage Black #4, (Par 5) we've all been in the fairway bunker to the left off the Tee.  The best shot is to just wedge out onto the fairway, hoping to save par.  If you try to blast out  with a long shot you will probably end up in the next bunker and headed for a Bogey or worse.

Enjoy ,

Jeff

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2017 2:41 PM

phred952:
    Think of it as a type Course Management.  If you just play a percentage shot to recover, and accept that you might still end up with Par or a Bogey at worse.  Then look to get a stroke back on the next hole.

This all day long!

The only time I will go for that very low percentage shot is in matchplay where you have nothing to lose.

Otherwise play percentages like you would on a real course.

• PAGES
RSS