Help › Forums

Football League.. hard core players

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:29 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 1:04 PM

As a Brit, weirdly, I like American football, and for the first time, I had some fantasy sports on Yahoo. But...

What's the difference between spread and non-spread?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 1:21 PM

In the non spread league you just pick winners straight up.

In a spread league it's a little different.  For example, this Thursday night's opener is the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans.   Yahoo lists the matchup like this:

Favorite                    Underdog                 Final

Pittsburgh           vs Tennessee                6.0

The Final is the actual spread of the game.  It  means that Pittsburgh is favored to win this game by 6 points.  If you choose Pittsburgh, your pick is considered correct only if Pittsburgh wins by more than the spread.  In this case, they'd need to win by more than 6 points.  If they win by less than 6 points or lose the game outright, your pick would be wrong.

If you choose Tennessee then your pick would be correct under two conditions: 

• if Tennessee beats Pittsburgh outright OR
    • if Tennessee loses by less than 6 points. 

If Pittsburgh wins by 6 points (exactly the spread) it's considered a push and nobody gets any points.

Does that clear it up?

I generally enjoy the spread format more because it makes certain games much more difficult to pick.  For example, New Orleans is the favorite over Detroit by 13 points in week 1.  In a non-spread league, most likely everyone except the most die-hard Detroit fan will pick New Orleans.  Games like this end up being a wash because the entire group picks the same team.  Everyone either gets a point or gets nothing and that does little to change the standings. 

However, in a spread league it makes New Orleans vs Detroit a difficult pick.  We all know New Orleans is probably gonna win, but the question now becomes "are they good enough to win by 14 points or more?"  That's a tough call there.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 1:34 PM

Remember fans.... the deadline for each game is 5 mins before kick-off....  The tie-breakers (well, one of them) have to be in by Thursday, teh 10th, at 5:25pm pacific.

Do yourself a favor, get them done by Wednesday, that way there is no rush.

Come on... lets do this thing!!

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!

BLUE 23... BLUE 23... HUT HUT!

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2009 10:04 AM

First game tonight..GL

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:47 AM

After 13 weeks 

1. Gazz                  128-49

2.Freddy               121-56

3.Terrible Picks  121-56

4.Kosei82            119-58

5.jeffdos924        113-64

6.Snaike Eyes     112-65

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:57 AM

Fuzzygazz:
    3.Terrible Picks  121-56

Oh the irony eh?

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 9:29 PM

LOL....all I know is that I am way down the line in this FF league....but great job gazz!!!

B :)

• PAGES
RSS