Forums

Help › Forums

Starter Balls vs Purchased Balls

Sun, Jan 22 2017 10:41 AM (9 replies)
  • muthrower
    14 Posts
    Tue, Dec 13 2016 1:23 PM

I have been playing this game for over a year (Tour Master Level 85) and think I understand most of this game.  Something I have not yet figured out, are the balls.  I still play with the starter balls and have guys out drive me with purchased balls all the time.  I understand you get more distance, control, etc. but I have always faced this one problem.  When I use a starter ball, the meter stops exactly at the moment I tap the screen (using the app), but when I purchase balls or use any of the gift balls, the meter continues past the moment I tap the screen.  It's just for a split second, but when I tap the screen, thinking I will stop right on the ding, it continues past the ding and I push it right.  I tend to get frustrated and go back to the starters.  A few months will go by and I will try again thinking it was just me, but every time I have this issue.  I am at the point in my game that if I want to improve to Legend or higher, I need to use these balls.  Can anyone help me on why they do that?  Does that happen to everyone else and I just have to learn to play that way?  Am I doing something wrong?  I appreciate the help.

• DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Dec 13 2016 9:11 PM

muthrower:
    the meter continues past the moment I tap the screen.  It's just for a split second, but when I tap the screen, thinking I will stop right on the ding, it continues past the ding and I push it right

I have played on my phone 3 times. And my experience is exactly this ^^^

However, I only used my already equipped purchased Nike balls so cannot comment about the Starter balls behaving better.

If the issue is not explained or resolved here, then perhaps you could just allow for the slight push in your setup.  For me, the biggest advantage on the purchased balls are the lower meter speed and the spin/control=stopping power of better balls.  If you persist with better balls, your game will improve drastically, and when you go up to Legend tier, you will not be able to compete with just Starter balls......

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 8:19 AM

All balls in this game are starter balls. Ball specs are assigned attributes to that baseline ball. 

More attributes = more filtering the game has to do on each shot. 

If you want a smooth meter and least amount of 'crap' when playing, use the ball with the least amount of specs that you can play comfortably with and you get results you are okay with. 

You won't be able to compete in WGT events or RG's with starter balls and do well, not possible. 

AS rounds though, there are lots who use them and land approaches with in 6ft of pin.

This game would be much more fun, and somewhat more realistic if the balls were coded with only slight variations from the starter base, closer to real life. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 11:33 AM

dedBuNNy:
    This game would be much more fun, and somewhat more realistic if the balls were coded with only slight variations from the starter base, closer to real life. 

Fun is relative to what you want to achieve. Some players would simply lose their enjoyment if unrealistic scores were no longer possible,

Multi player games however should be about fun, and the results actually count for nothing.

With only slight variations from the base starter ball, sales would plummet as there would be no incentive to play high prices for a negligible benefit, so would never happen. Personally I like the idea, but know the ship long sailed.

For those who have been here a while, the days of the top of the range G10's and WGT cheap balls where players needed to play really well to break par - the game was more realistic but probably not very profitable......money dictates in a business world.

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 1:15 PM

It is a timing thing, when I play Topgolf, I can hit the ding with the starter ball but with the Nike 81 it pulls to the right. But I've noticed that on some of these teaching videos on YouTube, they allow  the meter to go through the ding area at least twice to get their timing right  before they strike the ball. I've been practicing  and last week I noticed I've been hitting more fairways and GIR. That's just my take on it, because loosing 81's ain't cheap and my pockets ain't that deep:)

Siders Best

PS: We were talking android or mobile weren't we?

• smithsgen
    32 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2017 2:16 AM

muthrower:
    When I use a starter ball, the meter stops exactly at the moment I tap the screen (using the app), but when I purchase balls or use any of the gift balls, the meter continues past the moment I tap the screen.

I play mobile iOs and this is the case for me as well, especially with the irons. It's almost impossible to ding irons with my L33 Callys. I solve it by adjusting my aim accordingly, as I fairly consistently "end up" just right of the ding. With starter balls I hit the ding much more often, but when I miss, I'm more often far off the ding, with dire consequences. Hence I play better with L33 than starter ball, even if my ding percentage is at a different level with starter balls.

• Higgs20
    451 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2017 9:22 AM

here's a question: what mobile device are you using?

I currently play on a Galaxy S6 because it performs way more consistently than my crummy old PC.  every now and again the meter will hiccup, and I hopefully need to catch this before my thumb taps the screen.  probably about 50-50 success rate for me (super frustration to lose strokes that way!).  BUT, when that happens, I simply let the meter run through a few "practice swings" and all is well again.

then there are the "WGT days" where nothing goes as it should, and it doesn't matter if you ding or miss anyway as the ball has a mind of its own.

also, there are several upgraded ball options that have a 0 meter rating.  have you used any of these?  IMO, these balls' in-game swing meters behave exactly the same at the starters...like the excellent 65ish credit Tour SD.  a nice little distance bump with some extra bite that doesn't hit your wallet

• muthrower
    14 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 11:24 AM

Thank you all for the tips.  I am using my iPhone as well as an iPad.  It has taken a lot of getting used to but I have just forced myself to suck it up and learn to play with the slight lag.  After using purchased balls for over 2-3 weeks now, my game improved drastically and quickly moved from Tour Master to Legend, and that, is a whole other ball game!  The game just got really hard again.  

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2017 9:27 AM

iphone is useless for it the screen is just too small 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2017 10:41 AM

muthrower:
    Thank you all for the tips.  I am using my iPhone as well as an iPad.  It has taken a lot of getting used to but I have just forced myself to suck it up and learn to play with the slight lag.  

I also play on an iPad. I've found that there are some balls that do seem to play better on the iPad. Here are the ones that I found to work very well, with no lag:
    • Callaway Chrome Soft (Level 33). These are the best bang for the buck.
    • Callaway Truvis Chrome Soft (Level 67). These balls are excellent but pricey.
    • Nike 20 XI-X (Level 71).
    • Nike 20 XI-X RZN (Level 81). For me, these are about as perfect match as I've found. 

RSS