Forums

Help › Forums

pitching

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 7 2016 9:24 AM (3 replies)
  • club578
    559 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 7:08 AM

i am a legend and am wondering why my pitches always go too far onto the green even when  i hit correct yardage?

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 7:27 AM

You must use full backspin. For example.....17 yard club, hitting 13 yards, then full backspin and 75%..........of course its practice as this will slightly differ with various approaches, and the balls you use.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 7:38 AM

BPB 4 is a great place to learn how your pitches work. Set up a practice round and get to the backside of the green. (It's the same place the CTTH there uses for the 4th shot.)

Start with your 64w and a full pitch with no spin and see how far it goes. Take a mulligan and do the same thing but use full back spin and compare it to what you just saw with the first shot. Then try it with full top spin. I think you'll learn pretty quick just how controllable that shot is.  :-)

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 9:24 AM

I'm not having a pop OP but why has it taken you more than 5.5 yrs to ask? But there again that's your business I guess.

My answer to your question is to first ask a question by return insomuch as are you referring to playing from the fairway or the rough? I assume rough as any pitch from the fairway below 50 yds should finish inside the 3-5 ft mark. Although I would want to bin that 64 deg Weetabix you use and get a Cleveland equivalent.

The rough is a different fettle of kish however due to the variability of the lie both here and IRL. I work to a formulated chart and even then it still catches me out now and then. Nature of the beast I'm afraid. 

All I can suggest is to practice as Jim advised but to jot down your results from as many different distances as possible so they can be repeated or revised as necessary. Once you have done this you will stand more chance of hitting the correct distances as quite clearly you aren't doing so atm.

RSS